Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Adds VA-API Video Acceleration On Wayland

Phoronix: Google Chrome Adds VA-API Video Acceleration On Wayland

One of the limitations of Google Chrome's Wayland support has been the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) not being supported for GPU-based video acceleration as it's directly targeted the libva-x11 library. But with code merged on Friday to Chromium, libva-drm is now used to allow for working VA-API acceleration on X11 or Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any news on when the Chrome team is thinking of enabling Ozone by default? It's kind of a bummer Chrome still needs to use XWayland by default in Wayland environments.

Comment

For some time now (maybe a year?) there is a toggle on the flags settings to enable video hardware acceleration (it is set backwards BTW), but it never worked for me. Lets see if they actually make it works this time, because before it felt like mockery.

Comment

Chromium catching up with Firefox.

Comment

Note that for this to work on AMD, Mesa needs to be compiled with this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/26165

Comment

How is Chrome/Chromium's Linux support subpar despite Google owning two Linux based OSes? It has to be intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by botipua22 View Post
              How is Chrome/Chromium's Linux support subpar despite Google owning two Linux based OSes? It has to be intentional.
              And yet none of those are running Xorg or Wayland and run mostly on controlled vendor hardware. They as far from a regular desktop distro as you can make them and still use linux kernel.

Comment

NOO, you are imposing Wayland on us! It's someone else's fault that I bought a NVIDIA card and now I must spam a forum about hoy inconvenient this is for me!

Comment

Incredibly good news. That was the only thing I missed about X11. Now Wayland is perfect for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

And yet none of those are running Xorg or Wayland and run mostly on controlled vendor hardware. They as far from a regular desktop distro as you can make them and still use linux kernel.
                    ChromeOS uses Wayland for Android apps, Linux containers and the experimental Lacros browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X