Google Chrome Adds VA-API Video Acceleration On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    ChromeOS doesn't use either X11 or Wayland.
    ChromeOS uses Wayland now.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      Awesome! For which release is it set?
      122.0.623*

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Android kernel is Linux, no matter how much patched it is. Even RHEL kernel is heavily patched, but it still is Linux.
        Regarding userspace, it's, well, userspace, that is a completely separate thing from the kernel.

Exactly. I don't understand why people keep sprouting this crap. If you heavily tweak/pimp your Subaru (as a lot of Subaru owners, especially sedan owners, do), nobody would say “you're not driving a Subaru”.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
          Is there any news on when the Chrome team is thinking of enabling Ozone by default? It's kind of a bummer Chrome still needs to use XWayland by default in Wayland environments.
          Aren't they doing an X11/Ozone build now, where it uses Ozone when X11 is not available?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Aren't they doing an X11/Ozone build now, where it uses Ozone when X11 is not available?
            It's just a simple setting to change to ozone, easier than Firefox which required a environment variable. Firefox now defaults to Wayland so that point is moot. But it's really easy on Chrome. I primarily use Firefox but use Chrome for Google Meet and I've been running chrome on the Wayland backend for a year (on gnome).

Comment

avis knows this as others have pointed this out to him before. He just prefers to lie about this constantly since Xorg is his religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel View Post
                NOO, you are imposing Wayland on us! It's someone else's fault that I bought a NVIDIA card and now I must spam a forum about hoy inconvenient this is for me!
                I never thought of this, can you please name a single phoronix user who has a Nvidia card and hates Wayland (for that reason)?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  For some time now (maybe a year?) there is a toggle on the flags settings to enable video hardware acceleration (it is set backwards BTW), but it never worked for me.
                  Code:
                  hubick@chworkstation:~$ cat /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop | grep Exec
                  Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode %U
                  Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode
                  Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --incognito --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode​
                  My chrome://gpu/ says
                  Code:
                  * Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
                  * Video Encode: Hardware accelerated​

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post

Code:
                    hubick@chworkstation:~$ cat /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop | grep Exec
                    Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode %U
                    Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode
                    Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --incognito --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,Vaapi IgnoreDriverChecks --enable-accelerated-video-encode​
                    My chrome://gpu/ says
                    Code:
                    * Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
                    * Video Encode: Hardware accelerated​
                    Did you tested it to see if it is actually doing something? When I enable and disable hardware acceleration in the Flags tab, I see no difference on CPU utilization in 4k videos.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Did you tested it to see if it is actually doing something? When I enable and disable hardware acceleration in the Flags tab, I see no difference on CPU utilization in 4k videos.
                      I feel like that's gonna depend on everything from the specifics of hardware decoding supported by your generation of GPU to the codec specifics of the video you're watching, not to mention it's not unheard of to have cases where software decoding was actually faster due to crappy hardware support.

I use mostly MS Teams progressive web app in Chrome (H265 now?) and recently changed PC cases, CPU cooler, GPU (Arc A770 now), and distro (Fedora 39), but, yeah, I feel like it's not hitting the CPU as much, though I haven't really had much chance to test / pay attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X