Wine Wayland Driver's Vulkan Support Is Now Usable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Last thing I want to say, it's about pcsx2 devs. They complain their application don't work well with Wayland while using qt, I mean even qt6 is problematic with Wayland. So they misplace the blame, they should blame qt, or maybe their own decision of picking it.
    Read the article on Phoronix, the problems they are having are not specific to Qt: https://www.phoronix.com/news/PCSX2-...ayland-Default

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post

Adding up the GPU vendors from the latest Steam hardware survey with the results restricted to Linux we get:
      • AMD 62.35
      • NVIDIA 17.78
      • Intel 10.82
      • Other 8.24​
      If we exclude Steam Deck it is a lot closer but the order doesn't change.
      He meant all users across all platforms. I assume the SteamOS (for PCs) idea is to gather users from Windows, otherwise they won't get new users, because people that uses Linux already generally have already picked they preferred distro and/or is more advanced. In Windows, vast majority of users use Nvidia. They have to take advantage of the fact that Windows 10 will lose support in 2025.

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post
        Adding up the GPU vendors from the latest Steam hardware survey with the results restricted to Linux we get:
        • AMD 62.35
        • NVIDIA 17.78
        • Intel 10.82
        • Other 8.24​
        If we exclude Steam Deck it is a lot closer but the order doesn't change.
        Fair enough; I wasn't really thinking about the Linux marketshare specifically, which is what really matters in this case. Though honestly, I'm a bit surprised AMD's is so high even excluding the Deck. It makes sense, because AMD does offer an overall better Linux experience and is more open-source friendly, but still unexpected.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        The work is directed by Collabora. But not sure if Valve aren't backing it either. It's in their interest to move this along too.
        Agreed, though I think Valve wants it polished in Wine before they attempt to move forward with it in Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          Last thing I want to say, it's about pcsx2 devs. They complain their application don't work well with Wayland while using qt, I mean even qt6 is problematic with Wayland. So they misplace the blame, they should blame qt, or maybe their own decision of picking it.
          No they're completely right to blame Wayland. It's not Qt's fault that Crapland doesn't give it essential features it needs while every other platform and display server does.

Keep sucking up to a pathetically crippled-by-design protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I wasn't really thinking about the Linux marketshare specifically, which is what really matters in this case.​
            I suspect that existing market share doesn't matter that much to Valve, and that they're using projected future market share to push things they way they want. They make software changes directly for AMD and seem to hope that Nvidia follow.
            • Nvidia started announced Wayland support a month or two before Valve announced Steam Deck, SteamOS 3, and that both would use GameScope which was renamed from steamcmpmgr when it started using Wayland. There was pressure from other places, eg Nvidia not being able to get KDE working properly with EGLStream, but I suspect Nvidia's change was prompted by a briefing from Valve.
            • There are some other specific things GameScope needs, and it only worked on AMD for months until Nvidia added those.
            • HDR was added by Valve and currently requires AMD.

Comment

Working...
            X