X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anth
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I wasn't really thinking about the Linux marketshare specifically, which is what really matters in this case.​
    I suspect that existing market share doesn't matter that much to Valve, and that they're using projected future market share to push things they way they want. They make software changes directly for AMD and seem to hope that Nvidia follow.
    • Nvidia started announced Wayland support a month or two before Valve announced Steam Deck, SteamOS 3, and that both would use GameScope which was renamed from steamcmpmgr when it started using Wayland. There was pressure from other places, eg Nvidia not being able to get KDE working properly with EGLStream, but I suspect Nvidia's change was prompted by a briefing from Valve.
    • There are some other specific things GameScope needs, and it only worked on AMD for months until Nvidia added those.
    • HDR was added by Valve and currently requires AMD.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Last thing I want to say, it's about pcsx2 devs. They complain their application don't work well with Wayland while using qt, I mean even qt6 is problematic with Wayland. So they misplace the blame, they should blame qt, or maybe their own decision of picking it.
    No they're completely right to blame Wayland. It's not Qt's fault that Crapland doesn't give it essential features it needs while every other platform and display server does.

Keep sucking up to a pathetically crippled-by-design protocol.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by anth View Post
    Adding up the GPU vendors from the latest Steam hardware survey with the results restricted to Linux we get:
    • AMD 62.35
    • NVIDIA 17.78
    • Intel 10.82
    • Other 8.24​
    If we exclude Steam Deck it is a lot closer but the order doesn't change.
    Fair enough; I wasn't really thinking about the Linux marketshare specifically, which is what really matters in this case. Though honestly, I'm a bit surprised AMD's is so high even excluding the Deck. It makes sense, because AMD does offer an overall better Linux experience and is more open-source friendly, but still unexpected.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    The work is directed by Collabora. But not sure if Valve aren't backing it either. It's in their interest to move this along too.
    Agreed, though I think Valve wants it polished in Wine before they attempt to move forward with it in Proton.

Leave a comment:

• RonDamon
    replied
    Originally posted by anth View Post

Adding up the GPU vendors from the latest Steam hardware survey with the results restricted to Linux we get:
    • AMD 62.35
    • NVIDIA 17.78
    • Intel 10.82
    • Other 8.24​
    If we exclude Steam Deck it is a lot closer but the order doesn't change.
    He meant all users across all platforms. I assume the SteamOS (for PCs) idea is to gather users from Windows, otherwise they won't get new users, because people that uses Linux already generally have already picked they preferred distro and/or is more advanced. In Windows, vast majority of users use Nvidia. They have to take advantage of the fact that Windows 10 will lose support in 2025.

Leave a comment:

• eszlari
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Last thing I want to say, it's about pcsx2 devs. They complain their application don't work well with Wayland while using qt, I mean even qt6 is problematic with Wayland. So they misplace the blame, they should blame qt, or maybe their own decision of picking it.
    Read the article on Phoronix, the problems they are having are not specific to Qt: https://www.phoronix.com/news/PCSX2-...ayland-Default

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by eszlari View Post
    Michael​ Are you planinng a Wine X11 vs. Xwayland vs. Wayland benchmark?
    I don't play games much, but I can tell gaming through wine xwayland is no a deal breaker even with nvidia. I often play 2d platformer Dead Cells, my only complain is that the choppy frames, I don't know which version, but at one point enabling feral game option under Bottles fixed it, now it's no longer the case, so I'm excited for this native wayland support, that's definitely gonna properly fix stuttering issue. I know it because playing a video under xorg have choppy frames, which is a deal breaker for me. And Wayland fixes it.

I played kinda heavy fast paced game like farcry5, no further issue there.

Game I had problem playing is arkham city, it's an old unoptimized 32bit game, so, not wine Wayland issue, I'm sure it's also problematic under windows too, there's gotta be a workaround with game's config files, but I'm not really motivated to find out.

Currently, I play BOTW, thanks to pcsx2 drama, I'm looking into game emulation now. The perf is bad under xwayland. With xorg, with certain config, frame fluctuates around 30, it's pretty much native frame on real hardware, so it's playable. I should remind you I'm using nvidia, so the game probably is fine under xwayland with amd card.

Leave a comment:

• eszlari
    replied
    Michael​ Are you planning a Wine X11 vs. Xwayland vs. Wayland benchmark?
    Last edited by eszlari; 02 December 2023, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by eszlari View Post

It seems to be sponsored by Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2Emqp9t0g&t=21568s
    Interesting. I didn't expect Google to care about Wayland, but I suppose if they use it on ChromeOS they might.

Leave a comment:

• eszlari
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

The work is directed by Collabora. But not sure if Valve aren't backing it either.
    It seems to be sponsored by Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2Emqp9t0g&t=21568s

Leave a comment:

• eszlari
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm a little surprised Wine managed to beat Valve/Proton to the punch, but I assume Valve hasn't done much with Wayland because of Nvidia. When most of your clientele use a certain vendor, you'll want to ensure proper support for it.
    Actually, the native Wine Wayland driver will improve things for Nvidia GPUs too (Xwayland is more problematic than native Wayland clients).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X