Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

How about Proton?
    You should ask that to Proton developers. It is a different project with their own schedule

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You should ask that to Proton developers. It is a different project with their own schedule
      It will take a long time before this work reaches upstream

I suppose the answer to this question only applies to whomever uses Proton-TKG (latest wine, vkd3d, dxvk, .. ) and probably soon Proton-GE

I'm not in hurry to try this since mouse lock is missing. If anyone knows the answer on top of their head then let us know!

Edit: https://github.com/Frogging-Family/w...it/issues/1104
      Last edited by Kjell; 13 December 2023, 06:33 PM.

Comment

This is definitely good to see. I'm a little surprised Wine managed to beat Valve/Proton to the punch, but I assume Valve hasn't done much with Wayland because of Nvidia. When most of your clientele use a certain vendor, you'll want to ensure proper support for it.
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        However, mouse not all ...
        Mouse not all, indeed, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          This is definitely good to see. I'm a little surprised Wine managed to beat Valve/Proton to the punc
          The work is directed by Collabora. But not sure if Valve aren't backing it either. It's in their interest to move this along too.

Comment

I assume Valve hasn't done much with Wayland because of Nvidia. When most of your clientele use a certain vendor, you'll want to ensure proper support for it.
            Adding up the GPU vendors from the latest Steam hardware survey with the results restricted to Linux we get:
            • AMD 62.35
            • NVIDIA 17.78
            • Intel 10.82
            • Other 8.24​
            If we exclude Steam Deck it is a lot closer but the order doesn't change.

Comment

I'm a little surprised Wine managed to beat Valve/Proton to the punch, but I assume Valve hasn't done much with Wayland because of Nvidia. When most of your clientele use a certain vendor, you'll want to ensure proper support for it.
              Actually, the native Wine Wayland driver will improve things for Nvidia GPUs too (Xwayland is more problematic than native Wayland clients).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

The work is directed by Collabora. But not sure if Valve aren't backing it either.
                It seems to be sponsored by Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2Emqp9t0g&t=21568s

Comment

Originally posted by eszlari View Post

It seems to be sponsored by Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2Emqp9t0g&t=21568s
                  Interesting. I didn't expect Google to care about Wayland, but I suppose if they use it on ChromeOS they might.

Comment

Michael​ Are you planning a Wine X11 vs. Xwayland vs. Wayland benchmark?
                    Last edited by eszlari; 02 December 2023, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eszlari View Post
                      Michael​ Are you planinng a Wine X11 vs. Xwayland vs. Wayland benchmark?
                      I don't play games much, but I can tell gaming through wine xwayland is no a deal breaker even with nvidia. I often play 2d platformer Dead Cells, my only complain is that the choppy frames, I don't know which version, but at one point enabling feral game option under Bottles fixed it, now it's no longer the case, so I'm excited for this native wayland support, that's definitely gonna properly fix stuttering issue. I know it because playing a video under xorg have choppy frames, which is a deal breaker for me. And Wayland fixes it.

I played kinda heavy fast paced game like farcry5, no further issue there.

Game I had problem playing is arkham city, it's an old unoptimized 32bit game, so, not wine Wayland issue, I'm sure it's also problematic under windows too, there's gotta be a workaround with game's config files, but I'm not really motivated to find out.

Currently, I play BOTW, thanks to pcsx2 drama, I'm looking into game emulation now. The perf is bad under xwayland. With xorg, with certain config, frame fluctuates around 30, it's pretty much native frame on real hardware, so it's playable. I should remind you I'm using nvidia, so the game probably is fine under xwayland with amd card.

Last thing I want to say, it's about pcsx2 devs. They complain their application don't work well with Wayland while using qt, I mean even qt6 is problematic with Wayland. So they misplace the blame, they should blame qt, or maybe their own decision of picking it.

Comment

Working...
                      X