Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Dropping The X.Org Server Except For XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

The RedHat press release did not talk about adding new features to Xorg. It talked about the huge burden of maintaining the current Xorg code base. IOW, pure lies.
    Well, you can't really ship a display server that doesn't reflect all the new features and associated changes in the Linux graphics stack. At some point it would become useless. Remember that Red Hat has to support everything that is included in the x.0 release for 10+ years. You think it will be practical to support Xorg in 12 years? Will it be useful? By that time popular desktops and graphics toolkits will have dropped support for Xorg. Keeping Xorg Server in RHEL for another 10 years is a major undertaking.

Comment

Phasing out X.org has two effects, sort all the defects that remain problematic in the Wayland ecosystem and fixing the Nvidia problems because Nvidia can't drag their Wayland support any longer.

I'm not a Wayland lover nor a hater, I understand what Wayland is and why it is needed (It is really needed badly) but the whole transition from X.org to "*Wayland*" has been botched from the beginning and it will be until the very end until the moment somebody builds a Wayland compositor whose purpose is to act as a modern in-place X.org replacement, this will never happen so fasten your seatbelts, it will be a bumpy ride.

Having said that, the sooner we're done with the transition the better. Meanwhile I continue using X.org and XFCE for my day to day.

Comment

It's about being able to choose what is right for you.
        Indeed. RH is free to choose what is right for them and their customers.
        Or should they ask YOU what to do?
        Last edited by cynic; 28 November 2023, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I remember when Apple decided to remove floppy drives from their computer.
          People went crazy, saying it was absurd, that it couldn't work anymore and that Apple was going bankrupt for this.

Sometimes slow and soft transitions to the future don't work: you need to set a point in time and break with the past.

I'm 90% satisfied by Wayland but I'm sure that this move will help fixing the remaining 10% once for all.

Comment

People like to pick up fights out of nowhere. I don't understand what's the fuzz about this. This is why we have an open linux which everybody can use whatever they want. I bet that people bashing RH for doing this probably isn't using RH sw and never used it. You have many options, if you don't like the decision or Wayland, just use another distro that supports X.Org, simple as that. Stop complaining, X has many limitations specially privacy wise that Wayland addresses, it's time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

Well, you can't really ship a display server that doesn't reflect all the new features and associated changes in the Linux graphics stack. At some point it would become useless. Remember that Red Hat has to support everything that is included in the x.0 release for 10+ years. You think it will be practical to support Xorg in 12 years? Will it be useful? By that time popular desktops and graphics toolkits will have dropped support for Xorg. Keeping Xorg Server in RHEL for another 10 years is a major undertaking.
              Why can't you? What exact new features? Xorg has been using KMS for close to a decade now. KMS is not going anywhere. OpenGL and Vulkan are not going anywhere.

What new is there to support? Would be great if you were specific. I love when people are being specific.

And why would it become "useless" if Linus claims (and so far he's kept his word) that kernel userspace API are stable? Could you be more specific again? Many years after distros dropped XFree86 and transitioned to Xorg, I was still able to run XFree86 on a then contemporary kernel. XFree86 worked despite being outdated, deprecated and abandoned.

And why would toolkits drop X11 support? Can we talk about something grounded in reality you know? Like you know "Qt7 to be released in 2027 is dropping X11 support" (I've made it up) or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by gustavoar View Post
                People like to pick up fights out of nowhere. I don't understand what's the fuzz about this. This is why we have an open linux which everybody can use whatever they want. I bet that people bashing RH for doing this probably isn't using RH sw and never used it. You have many options, if you don't like the decision or Wayland, just use another distro that supports X.Org, simple as that. Stop complaining, X has many limitations specially privacy wise that Wayland addresses, it's time to move on.
                This exact news piece is talking about how "everybody cannot use whatever they want". Not anymore. You're forced to use Wayland or Gnome or both.

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                I remember when Apple decided to remove floppy drives from their computer.
                People went crazy, saying it was absurd, that it couldn't work anymore and that Apple was going bankrupt for this.

Sometimes slow and soft transitions to the future don't work: you need to set a point in time and break with the past.

I'm 90% satisfied by Wayland but I'm sure that this move will help fixing the remaining 10% once for all.
                Floppy disks, then zip drives and then CDs were replaced with something unconditionally better and more versatile - USB flash drives/cloud/the Internet.

The transition to Wayland has been nothing but unconditionally better. So far it's been a very painful story.

Compare it to how GDI was replaced with WDDM in Windows Vista. That's how you transition. No one noticed (except for Vista's quite high HW requirements and NVIDIA drivers crashes).

Anyways, Wayland is the future, it's cool/great/fast/superior. I'm no longer interested in this conversation.
                Last edited by avis; 28 November 2023, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                  Indeed. RH is free to choose what is right for them and their customer.
                  Or should they ask YOU what to do?
                  Look avis is not a troll more than the person is an accurate loremaster. It's obvious the person filters it's information intake to such levels it sounds like a fairy tale. While the world around the person give arguments the person feels like a wall because the person's system works so it's an absolute truth that X.org is the defacto thing to use.
                  But let legacy thinking be left alone on the bygone era that is the past (ignore it).

Comment

X.org has been in pure maintenance mode for over a decade now. It requires nothing more than occasional security patches. That's it. Otherwise it works beautifully.
                    What are you waiting for?

Comment

This exact news piece is talking about how "everybody cannot use whatever they want". Not anymore. You're forced to use Wayland or Gnome or both.

Floppy disks, then zip drives and then CDs were replaced with something unconditionally better and more versatile - USB flash drives/cloud/the Internet.

The transition to Wayland has been nothing but unconditionally better.
                      I bet that there will always be a distro and DE that supports it. There isn't just Gnome or KDE, just pick a distro that have the support you need. X.Org will probably never die or will still take a long time for it to happen. There will always be some kind of support from the Community.

Comment

Working...
                      X