Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Dropping The X.Org Server Except For XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

I think in perspective not in current way. 5 7 years and opengl will be deprecated.

swvkc

Nah, everyone I know that develops for vulkan recommends opengl (at least via zink) for anything less than a full game engine. They are different use cases, and we are a very, very long way from any widely used mobile chips having good enough vulkan drivers to justify the switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post

Let's keep it professional and remove emotions from this conversation.
      Don't forget to scream "get off my lawn" before you take your evening pills.

Get over it. Xog is a maintenance burden. The maintainers have been saying this for a decade now. It's not a bout YOU. It's about the burden on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

The maintainers have been saying this for a decade now. It's not a bout YOU. It's about the burden on them.
        correction

Old maintainers kicked out of xorg for incompetence have been saying it for a decade now.

Xorg is doing just fine without them

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
          correction

Old maintainers kicked out of xorg for incompetence have been saying it for a decade now.

Xorg is doing just fine without them
          LOL. Funny guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

LOL. Funny guy!

Comment

I still cannot grapple with one thing.

Linux for years now has been about unification and standardization: systemd, pipewire, /usr merge, NetworkManager, DBUS, devtmpfs, etc. etc. etc.
              I don't know what Linux ecosystem you are looking at but Linux has been about fragmentation and everyone doing whatever they feel like it since Slackware was first released.

How many init systems exist? 9

How many DE's exist? I can think of 13 off the top of my head.

How many kernel variants exist? I can think of at least 3 active forks, and if you count versions such as the one Ubuntu uses, then the list increases by quite a bit.

How many sound servers exist? Eight that I know of, who knows how many more exists.

How many boot loaders exist? Four, maybe more.

The main argument made by Linux proponents is that Linux is all about choice, by definition it resists "unification and standardization" because it goes against the Linux philosophy.

This is why there have been at least 200 unique distros, not counting different point releases, since Slackware.
              Last edited by sophisticles; 28 November 2023, 06:28 PM. Reason: Punctation

Comment

• Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

The smile on the face of the dumb. What do you bet that opengl will be replaced by Vulkan in the next 5 or 7 years?
                You might be making a joke, but it would not surprise me one bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I don't know what Linux ecosystem you are looking at but Linux has been about fragmentation and everyone doing whatever they feel like it since Slackware was first released.

How many init systems exist? 9

How many DE's exist? I can think of 13 off the top of my head/

How many kernel variants exist? I can think of at least 3 active forks, and if you count versions such as the one Ubuntu uses, then the list increases by quite a bit.

How many sound servers exist? Eight that I know of, who knows how many more exists.

How many boot loaders exist? Four, maybe more.

The main argument made by Linux proponents is that Linux is all about choice, by definition it resists "unification and standardization" because it goes against the Linux philosophy.

This is why there have been at least 200 unique distros, not counting different point releases, since Slackware.
                  exactly this.

if people want a display server based on wayland they will use it.
                  If they don't there are plenty of alternatives.

They don't and won't, redhat will get cancelled and nothing of value will be lost.

"Their funneral"

If anything this is great news, because when RH10 dies an early death the money getting wasted on wayland can finally go to something useful.
                  Last edited by mSparks; 28 November 2023, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• I think everyone is missing the bright side to all of this, namely that Rocky, Alma, Oracle, SUSE, and God knows who else, can look forward to having a new RH release to steal in 2025.

They must be very excited.
                    Last edited by sophisticles; 28 November 2023, 08:57 PM.

Comment

The corporate speak in this press release is as sneaky and deceitful as always.
                      X.org has been in pure maintenance mode for over a decade now. It requires nothing more than occasional security patches. That's it. Otherwise it works beautifully.
                      Complaining will not get you anywhere. According to your statement; it would be trivial to take the spec files from RHEL 9 and maintaining them for X.org users running RHEL 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X