Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Dropping The X.Org Server Except For XWayland

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jonnyheggheim View Post

    Complaining will not get you anywhere. According to your statement; it would be trivial to take the spec files from RHEL 9 and maintaining them for X.org users running RHEL 10.
    Whoever forks FC40 with this first will become one of the most popular linux distributions,

    Or just switch to debian, thats been coming on strides since google started investing so much in them.

    Comment


    • I like how avis said "lets not bring emotions into this" before unironically saying that you guys saying mean things about Xorg is hurting his feelings.

      This is the average linux fan to me. They care less about technology (actually most dont even know how an OS works) and act more like some strange software cult where they can't feel safe unless they know their shitty Dell computer's software stack is made out of a certain specific set of magic words like "GPL" and "sysvinit".

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

        It's is claimed by KDe developers themselves that QT5 is not fully compliant... reason for which Plasma 6 will be wayland based on implementing Qt6. Many detractors talk about Linux Oses current wayland issues when many Linux oses will be ready just the next few years. RedHat decision deals with 2025. This means that the approach to the matter must be in perspective. The integration of wayland involves compositors, frameworks, drivers and so on. It's not a simple change but a structural change. Major problems deal with legacy compliance assured by XWayland. When Wayland Oses are predominant in 2025, many users will ask how they could have bore xorg for so many years. In any case many different OSes will continue to propose Xorg solutions.
        They don't have to use Qt for KWin.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          RedHat decision deals with 2025.
          And support until (at least) 2035 if they shipped Xorg in EL10.

          Realistically, almost all of the paying EL customers run the distro on server and not desktops, so the choice of display server technology is for long term supportability, and wayland is the designated future.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Volta View Post

            macOS is far from successful and Linux beat it in market share on Steam. Maybe even on desktops. Android (and probably ChromeOS) are terrible to use. However, everything you mentioned share something common: they came pre-installed and that's why they're so successful (except macOS).
            You're trolling, right? Steam is one piece of software which is inflated by the fact that the Steam Deck comes with Linux. macOS is installed on millions of devices which are used for many applications. macOS is a failure for gaming on Steam but it is unquestionably vastly more successful and used than Linux on the desktop. You can pick any website, probably even Phoronix, and find similar graphs to this one with macOS as an order of magnitude more users. $140 for a Windows license is not a lot of money for something you buy once every 5 years. Linux has no chance of beating macOS or Windows unless users can do everything they need to without using a command line or trusting that updates will not break anything which is impossible on any Linux distribution I've ever used. To be clear this is fine and I love Linux but I'm also not delusional about it, unlike some other folks.

            Nice to see the peanut gallery continuing to try to hold the Linux desktop back to the 1980s. Same people who say "systemd so baddddd" without having written a single line of code in their life continuing to insist the shitty days of fragmented sysvinit were better or that osd was somehow better then pulseaudio. To be clear, FreeBSD does just fine with sysvinit because it's not fragmented which I'm only including here because some moron is going to use that as an example.

            X11 is shit, has been shit, and will continue to be shit. If you want to use it enjoy being stuck in the past or paying people to develop their applications against it. Wayland compositors are the future whether you like it or not. There will probably be a successor to Wayland after it, too. If you're advocating for X11 you're exposing yourself as a having no understanding of how the software works or why people much smarter than you are advocating for its demise.
            Last edited by AlanTuring69; 28 November 2023, 08:58 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

              macOS is installed on millions of devices which are used for many applications. .
              linux is installed on billions of devices.

              tiktok for linux is at like 1 BILLION downloads now.

              last tech billionaire that wrote stuff for windows was like 25 years ago. The world moved on without you.

              macos is good, but it's very much a good #2 in every respect. No amount of microsoftie "ignore what 99.99999% of the world uses" will change that for either windows or mac.

              As the saying went when microsoft bought minecraft, we are two generations in now to people who have never heard of microsoft or apple. (and facebook is for old people)
              Last edited by mSparks; 28 November 2023, 09:47 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mSparks View Post

                linux is installed on billions of devices.

                tiktok for linux is at like 1 BILLION downloads now.

                last tech billionaire that wrote stuff for windows was like 25 years ago. The world moved on without you.

                macos is good, but it's very much a good #2 in every respect. No amount of microsoftie "ignore what 99.99999% of the world uses" will change that for either windows or mac.
                device != desktop computer
                Linux powers servers and smartphones (if you want to count Android as Linux, many find that to be more of a technicality), but every single desktop and laptop on the market you'll ever come across is running Windows, with only the most fringe cases coming with Linux as a secondary option (I think a recent Dell laptop had it but thats as much as I remember. They're the same company that also tries to provide FreeDOS as an option if that puts anything into perspective).
                Do you even care about anything besides numbers? Numbers that you seem to be making up. That and semantics, since again, if you're saying billions then you're including Android which, if you have any self-respect, you will admit is even more restricted and locked-down than Windows is.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

                  device != desktop computer
                  Linux powers servers and smartphones (if you want to count Android as Linux, many find that to be more of a technicality), but every single desktop and laptop on the market you'll ever come across is running Windows, with only the most fringe cases coming with Linux as a secondary option (I think a recent Dell laptop had it but thats as much as I remember. They're the same company that also tries to provide FreeDOS as an option if that puts anything into perspective).
                  Do you even care about anything besides numbers? Numbers that you seem to be making up. That and semantics, since again, if you're saying billions then you're including Android which, if you have any self-respect, you will admit is even more restricted and locked-down than Windows is.
                  Do we not need to exclude windows and mac laptops to then?

                  usbc android devices are desktop computers, plug them in to a dock and they are just as powerful as 90% of windows laptops, if not more so.

                  I dont even plug mine in, you can do everying with wifi screenshare and bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
                  Last edited by mSparks; 28 November 2023, 10:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mSparks View Post

                    linux is installed on billions of devices.

                    tiktok for linux is at like 1 BILLION downloads now.

                    last tech billionaire that wrote stuff for windows was like 25 years ago. The world moved on without you.

                    macos is good, but it's very much a good #2 in every respect. No amount of microsoftie "ignore what 99.99999% of the world uses" will change that for either windows or mac.

                    As the saying went when microsoft bought minecraft, we are two generations in now to people who have never heard of microsoft or apple. (and facebook is for old people)
                    Under no circumstance is Linux installed on billions of desktops or non-smart-devices, which is what we are talking about and what I specifically mentioned? macOS is #2 behind Windows on desktop and you're just delusional to think otherwise. The entire topic is around X11 which is specifically desktop software, by design?? Android doesn't even use X11 which is what the entire topic is about and certainly does not help the argument for X11.
                    Last edited by AlanTuring69; 28 November 2023, 10:04 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

                      Under no circumstance is Linux installed on billions of desktops or non-smart-devices, which is what we are talking about and what I specifically mentioned? macOS is #2 behind Windows on desktop and you're just delusional to think otherwise. The entire topic is around X11 which is specifically desktop software, by design?? Android doesn't even use X11 which is what the entire topic is about and certainly does not help the argument for X11.
                      there is no difference anymore between desktops and mobile devices.

                      both run office365 just fine.

                      well, if you have a slightly older desktop it might not support screencasting or bluetooth I guess.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X