Wine Wayland Driver Updated With Basic Window Management Capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Wayland Driver Updated With Basic Window Management Capabilities

Phoronix: Wine Wayland Driver Updated With Basic Window Management Capabilities

The latest set of patches for the Wine Wayland driver have been posted for review that continue working on enabling native Wayland support for this open-source software that allows Windows applications and games to be enjoyed under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope it will eventually use the native decorations of the desktop environment instead of the Windows classic ones like in the screenshots.

Comment

Winewayland.drv & Jojo

Always exciting when a new part releases
      ​

Comment

Wayland sure makes things interesting and modern. It's really amazing how the Collabora devs actually articulate and educate/discuss the details for the Wayland merge requests (answering all the questions in a satisfactory way) in Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          Wayland sure makes things interesting and modern. It's really amazing how the Collabora devs actually articulate and educate/discuss the details for the Wayland merge requests (answering all the questions in a satisfactory way) in Wine.
          Where do they have this discussion? Do you have links please?

Comment

You mean in the previous merge requests?

Comment

yeah, is so profissional and make me hopeful that the patchs gonna be so good, make me want to test it to help with development

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                I just hope it will eventually use the native decorations of the desktop environment instead of the Windows classic ones like in the screenshots.
                Given that 99.999% of usage of wine is games, I don't think it's really importable or noticeable.

Comment

There is a reason for it back in early 2000 Collabora employed their first technical writer to act as proof reader for all the developers commits because Alexandre Julliard had got sick of having to spending time working out what the objective of the code was by reading the code as at times this causes problem of is this code bug or is this intentional with no idea due to the commit comment not being quality.

Yes the technical writers at Collabora don't get their name in the commits even that the quality of readability of the commits by general people and the maintainer is based on their good work.

So its not the developers why this is so good. Yes lots of open source projects are critical short of technical writers to proof read and write documentation. Yes having a technical writer proof read stuff can be major improvement and this is demoed in the history of wine project commit comments. Good programming skill and good technical writing skill is not commonly the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    Really I would like to see the new xdg-desktop-portal accent color support. There is a reason for the Windows classic boarder. Windows boarders under MS windows are in fact client side rendered this is why windows applications can in fact add their own buttons to the title bar.

So most windows application compatibility like it or not is the windows classic boarder. Most people don't notice under X11 with wine that allowing the windows manager to draw boarders in winecfg is a checkbox that has to be turned on.

You might be wanting

Remember KDE wayland support server side decorations but your gnome wayland and the like expects client side decorations as well.

https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/8185 then there are different libdecor glitches.

There is a reason why I said about xdg-desktop-portal accent color and just make Windows classic item. Aligning the accent color it would not be as miss matched if for some reason the client side decoration library decides to go south as it has many times before..

Comment

Working...
                    X