Wine Wayland Driver Updated With Basic Window Management Capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a reason for it back in early 2000 Collabora employed their first technical writer to act as proof reader for all the developers commits because Alexandre Julliard had got sick of having to spending time working out what the objective of the code was by reading the code as at times this causes problem of is this code bug or is this intentional with no idea due to the commit comment not being quality.

Yes the technical writers at Collabora don't get their name in the commits even that the quality of readability of the commits by general people and the maintainer is based on their good work.

So its not the developers why this is so good. Yes lots of open source projects are critical short of technical writers to proof read and write documentation. Yes having a technical writer proof read stuff can be major improvement and this is demoed in the history of wine project commit comments. Good programming skill and good technical writing skill is not commonly the same person.
    Your missing alot of comas up they're and it's spelled it's, dammit

I've never thought about it from that perspective, but that makes a lot of sense. It explains why a guy like Michael can write one of the best benchmarking programs around that catches regressions in the Linux kernel while missing typos and grammatical issues in articles compared to how someone like myself can spot typos and grammar issues without trying while simultaneously being stumped by anything harder than Z Shell down by the Z shore.

Comment

I don't really get wine as a product.

It doesn't run any application I've tried. Proton and crossover are the only decent products.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
        I don't really get wine as a product.

It doesn't run any application I've tried. Proton and crossover are the only decent products.
        Wine is be a foundation bit. Remember Proton and Crossover depend on wine to provide a stable core to build on top of.

Also remember codeweavers pays for all wine project core resources. So crossover and wine are linked and Valve works with codeweavers so Proton is also putting money back into wine.

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

Say there are a lot of applications that do work with wine.

Crossover, Proton and Wine-staging all have experimental patches in them that may be completely junked and done again after future study into how stuff works. Patches going into core wine that study is meant to be somewhat complete..

Comment

Wine staging and wine devel have been useless to me for about two years now. All the applications I regularly use run fine under wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3-repack-1).
          However, trying anything from winehq for months wins me unable to open window. It's a common thread on the net, and no [solved] answers either. They're going to have to do better than that before crowing on their victories on wayland.

E

Comment

Originally posted by gavron View Post
            Wine staging and wine devel have been useless to me for about two years now. All the applications I regularly use run fine under wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3-repack-1).
            However, trying anything from winehq for months wins me unable to open window. It's a common thread on the net, and no [solved] answers either. They're going to have to do better than that before crowing on their victories on wayland.
            Not everyone can handle every applications correctly, especially on Linux. So there is so much to learn with both philosophy and tweaks to manage your system as a user.

For Example: It's smart to go to WineHQ to get some answers, but you cannot expect to always get the answer you are looking for because that depends on users to both get your kind of problem and that people even comment/post their reviews (same with the gaming side on ProtonDB). So you either continue to find answers or you learn to debug from the Linux system, to the drivers and lastly the application/Wine itself. It all takes time to set up and learn, which is why a good user documents their findings for future usage (that has to be updated).

That example is only a road way down to become better user, not the only one...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Not everyone can handle every applications correctly, especially on Linux. ...
              There's nothing about linux that means errors are especially not able to be handled correctly. It's actually the opposite. Good coding style and verification of return codes ensures proper handling.

Thank you also for the "reminder" about winehq stuff not being fully baked. Perhaps I was not clear enough. I'll try again, as perhaps there's a language barrier.
              1. On a fresh install of winehq stable or devel NOT EVEN winecfg will start. The error apperas that it's unable to open the window, and wine dies, with wineserver dying 30s later. This is a common problem, discussed on many forums (I usually turn to SE or Reddit not WE but it makes no difference) and none offer a solution.

2. The out of the box Mint / Ubuntu release runs winecfg just fine, as well as my needed application (DMP's SystemLink). If it ran ONLY winecfg and not MY app of choice I would understand that in the development cycle prioritizing bugfixes and enhancements can cause regressions, but since it WILL NOT RUN WINECFG in my way of looking at it the release is BROKEN.

3. I do understand that -devel and -staging may not be ready for a git pull/make/run every single day, but every time Michael says "Hey, winehq just put out a new version..." (I'm not saying "release" on purpose) I've tried it. All fail in the same way.

This was not meant to be a dig at the wine developers, and it's not. It's merely me saying "Of all the things to get right, fix the part where your own apps (e.g. winecfg) fail before worrying about Wayland. I don't have a dog in this X11 vs Wayland fight and frankly don't care. [#include <resume.h>] and so I patiently await a version that will run what I need successfully. Having looked at the code, this is not my forte. I may yet again contribute to the kernel... waiting to see how the 5yr-->2yr LTS discussion goes before I jump into it. Lots of ESP32 stuff to do before then.

Best regards, and I hope I didn't read your response incorrectly. I also hope this clarifies that I'm not complaining nor expecting the world... just that at the very least run winecfg, and after that maybe... just maybe... also run my 20yr old windows app that controls 40 year old alarm systems across the world.

E
              Tucson, Arizona, US

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a reason for it back in early 2000 Collabora employed their first technical writer to act as proof reader for all the developers commits because Alexandre Julliard had got sick of having to spending time working out what the objective of the code was by reading the code as at times this causes problem of is this code bug or is this intentional with no idea due to the commit comment not being quality.

Yes the technical writers at Collabora don't get their name in the commits even that the quality of readability of the commits by general people and the maintainer is based on their good work.

So its not the developers why this is so good.
                oiaohm, are you perhaps confusing Collabora with some other company? Those statements do not apply to Collabora.

Comment

Thank you also for the "reminder" about winehq stuff not being fully baked. Perhaps I was not clear enough. I'll try again, as perhaps there's a language barrier.
                  1. On a fresh install of winehq stable or devel NOT EVEN winecfg will start. The error apperas that it's unable to open the window, and wine dies, with wineserver dying 30s later. This is a common problem, discussed on many forums (I usually turn to SE or Reddit not WE but it makes no difference) and none offer a solution.
                  If it's such a common problem how about put some fucking links about it?

Unlike you, I can probably read error logs (if the link supplies it).

Something tells me of course that it's not common at all that's why you're not posting any links.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    If it's such a common problem how about put some fucking links about it?

Unlike you, I can probably read error logs (if the link supplies it).

Something tells me of course that it's not common at all that's why you're not posting any links.

I wasn't looking for help bugfixing Wine on this forum, but since you're so helpful, here you go, Dick.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wine...ould+be+loaded.

dick@online:~$ wine --version
                    wine-8.16
                    dick@online:~$ winecfg
                    0090:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005
                    0090:fixme:wineusb:query_id Unhandled ID query type 0x5.
                    00b8:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
                    00dc:fixme:service:QueryServiceConfig2W Level 6 not implemented
                    0114:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
                    0114:errle:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
                    0114:errle:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {5c6fb596-4828-4ed5-b9dd-293dad736fb5}, hr 0x80004002
                    0150:err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0x80004002
                    00dc:fixmele:NdrClearOutParameters (0142E798,0059B4A0,0142E924): stub
                    0114:errle:CoReleaseMarshalData StdMarshal ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
                    00dc:errle:ifproxy_release_public_refs IRemUnknown_RemRelease failed with error 0x800706be
                    00dc:fixmele:CoCreateInstanceEx no instance created for interface {5c6fb596-4828-4ed5-b9dd-293dad736fb5} of class {1cf0557d-5fa8-4a46-b1c9-3c89fae32d36}, hr 0x80004002.
                    00dc:fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime Optimization Service"): stub
                    00dc:fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (CAFE4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000456,00000000,0x0001 ,0x00000000,0142F744,00000000): stub
                    00dc:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L".NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Service Manager returned a fatal error (0x80004002). Will stop service\n"
                    00dc:fixme:advapieregisterEventSource (CAFE4242) stub
                    00dc:fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime Optimization Service"): stub
                    00dc:fixme:advapieregisterEventSource (CAFE4242) stub
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\3636_hp16c.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\D15F_hh.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\D15F_hh.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\D15F_hh.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\D15F_hh.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\C06E_winhlp32.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\C06E_winhlp32.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\C06E_winhlp32.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\C06E_winhlp32.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\757D_mshta.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\757D_mshta.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 4x2 4\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    00f8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                    00f8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
                    002c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                    002c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 4x2 4\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\3F52_IEXPLORE.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\15D9_acrossl.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\15D9_acrossl.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\15D9_acrossl.0.png"
                    016c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                    016c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\3636_hp16c.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\4 8x4 8\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\3 2x3 2\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\1 6x1 6\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    0034:fixme:shell:ISF_NetworkPlaces_fnParseDisplayN ame not implemented for L"\\\\?\\H:\\\\.local\\share\\icons\\hicolor\\2 56x 256\\apps\\E538_PresentationHost.0.png"
                    016c:err:setupapi:create_dest_file failed to create L"C:\\windows\\system32\\shlwapi.dll" (error=80)
                    016c:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
                    016c:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW register trace class {0cfe0455-93ba-440d-a3fe-553973d0b723}
                    016c:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW register trace class {797fabac-7b58-4796-b924-d51178a59ce4}
                    Native IE detected, not doing registration
                    016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (7A3BEC7C) stub
                    wine: configuration in L"H:\\.wine" has been updated.
                    0188:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                    0188:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."​
                    dick@online:~$

Comment

0188:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                      Are you using X11/Xorg?

Clearly your display driver fails to load, probably because of Crapland.

Comment

Working...
                      X