X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    Wayland is so modern that games are obsolete for it. It's a waste of effort.
    That's not how games work at all. Most of the rendering is done via windowing system agnostic APIs. KDE and Gnome actually completely bypass their compositor for fullscreen games. The windowing system is only called when games are in windowed mode (or borderless windowed) and is used to communicate with the game about window size and whether or not to close.

The Wine wayland work will go toward spawning less xwayland instances for games, but won't really affect the games themselves as far as I'm aware. The work is much more important for standard applications.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by gavron View Post
    Ok, I've narrowed it down to a regression in how wine attemps to create a window conflicting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
    WIne-6 has no issues. Works great.
    Wine-8 doesn't work using NVIDIA mode.
    Switching to the Intel mode allows wine-8 to work just fine.
    Something tells me it's about the GPU querying bullshit, considering the display driver fails to initialize at all, so I doubt it's acceleration.

EDIT: Just to make sure, I'm talking about Wine's code, not that you did anything wrong.

Leave a comment:

• murraytony
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't really get wine as a product.
    Wine isn't a product. I don't understand how hard it is to understand that not every piece of software is a product. Some are just community projects building something for themselves. (Hmm, you seem to have struck a nerve)

Leave a comment:

• Democrab
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Its particularly annoying when you on desktops at time do prime with intel and AMD and it works perfectly. There are issues that Nvidia closed source driver has not fully implemented all of DMABUF that PRIME really need to work well resulting in very wacky things happening.
    Can confirm. I run a prime setup in my HTPC with an Intel iGPU for display/video decoding and (currently) an AMD Fury Nano for 3D rendering, it works perfectly fine and only has a small performance loss over when the Fury was in my main desktop.
    Added bonus is that the iGPU can output 4k60 via HDMI whereas the Fury can only do 4k30, so I can forego an active DP to HDMI adapter.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Yes, I hadn't thought it connected to prime... and yes, insanely buggy and an undebuggable closed driver doesn't help. Sometimes the hardware we have is a function of what we do and how its rewarded so that's all I will say about that...
    Its particularly annoying when you on desktops at time do prime with intel and AMD and it works perfectly. There are issues that Nvidia closed source driver has not fully implemented all of DMABUF that PRIME really need to work well resulting in very wacky things happening.

Leave a comment:

• gavron
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I was not thinking that this would be another Nvidia prime defect.

There is a fun one where with Prime the Nvidia GPU in ondemard mode has had another problem where using wine/proton has resulted in the complete graphical output locking up for a few mins or at worst complete dead.

So wine not starting is the minor problem with Nvidia Prime issues. There wine/proton and a few other programs can bring out these problems.

I was thinking you had a sane desktop Linux system. Not a nightmare from hell laptop. Nvidia prime has a lot of odd ball quirks that come out.

Nvidia driver for lots of things is insanely buggy particularly with PRIME.
    Yes, I hadn't thought it connected to prime... and yes, insanely buggy and an undebuggable closed driver doesn't help. Sometimes the hardware we have is a function of what we do and how its rewarded so that's all I will say about that...

Fortunately the WINE devs are moving this along in the process now that they are aware of it. It's not a high priority given it's not for games... but as far as Crossover is concerned this would help them sell the "WINE runs all your professional applications under linux" message. That's my hope.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Ok, I've narrowed it down to a regression in how wine attempts to create a window conflicting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

EDIT: Submitted as a regression bug to winehq.
    https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55633
    I was not thinking that this would be another Nvidia prime defect.

There is a fun one where with Prime the Nvidia GPU in ondemard mode has had another problem where using wine/proton has resulted in the complete graphical output locking up for a few mins or at worst complete dead.

So wine not starting is the minor problem with Nvidia Prime issues. There wine/proton and a few other programs can bring out these problems.

I was thinking you had a sane desktop Linux system. Not a nightmare from hell laptop. Nvidia prime has a lot of odd ball quirks that come out.

Nvidia driver for lots of things is insanely buggy particularly with PRIME.
    Last edited by oiaohm; 21 September 2023, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RejectModernity
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    Native linux games with SDL and GLFW work perfectly fine in wayland-native mode.

Leave a comment:

• guglovich
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gavron
    replied
    I'm using X11...

E​
    Ok, I've narrowed it down to a regression in how wine attemps to create a window conflicting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

# prime-select intel && reboot
    $ winecfg
    Works great

# prime-select nvidia && reboot
    $ winecfg
    Fails as per the previous post

# prime-select intel && reboot
    $ winecfg
    Works again

E

EDIT: Submitted as a regression bug to winehq.
    Last edited by gavron; 21 September 2023, 02:43 PM. Reason: Added winehq bugzilla reference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X