No announcement yet.

XWayland Lands Fix For At Least One Game Hanging It & Causing 100% CPU Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Lands Fix For At Least One Game Hanging It & Causing 100% CPU Usage

Phoronix: XWayland Lands Fix For At Least One Game Hanging It & Causing 100% CPU Usage

While XWayland is in fairly good shape for enjoying both native and emulated games relying on X11 to run atop Wayland compositors for Linux gaming, occasionally different peculiar issues are uncovered. The most recent issue analyzed and addressed in XWayland Git is over the game Resident Evil 6 causing XWayland to hang and consume 100% of the CPU resources on launching that title...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its not XWayland only. There is a patch to glamor. Yes those using X11 on bare metal don't use glamor as much but glamor causing 100% usage under particular cases with X11 x.org is also cured by the patch.

The glamor flush where it only flush if dirty is set in glamor_make_current​.

Yes other bits of Wayland made the glamor issue of over flushing worse.
    Last edited by oiaohm; 27 March 2023, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Hanging It & Causing
      ​This is normal state in dektop linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

​This is normal state in dektop linux world.
        No, this is a normal state in windows world.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I am a huge linux guy, but this is definitely not a normal windows thing. I have my windows partition for when issues like this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post

I am a huge linux guy, but this is definitely not a normal windows thing.
            You're as believable as windows being stable and secure. Not at all. Windows being broken POS is one of the reasons I ditched it for Linux. And I was a huge windows fan!

I have my windows partition for when issues like this happen
            When some winblows games hangs??? Yeah, riiiiiiggghhht.
            Last edited by Volta; 27 March 2023, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I am a huge linux guy, but this is definitely not a normal windows thing. I have my windows partition for when issues like this happen.
              You're as believable as windows being stable and secure. Not at all. Windows being broken POS is one of the reasons I ditched it for Linux. And I was a huge windows fan!

When some winblows games hangs??? Yeah, riiiiiiggghhht.
              Most of the problems for any OS is the user, but since Windows has Microsoft libraries/functions/annoyances/ads forced/compressed into the OS, the system is both much slower and less stable because of it. Then it's the usual Windows is a mastodon system that carries too much than it's worth..
              Last edited by Sethox; 27 March 2023, 09:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

While I disagree that hanging is a "normal state in dektop linux world", (I personally experienced it only once in the last few years), it's true that the Windows graphics infrastructure (WDDM) is more mature and robust than what we have on Linux. This is one of the few areas where WIndows is technically more advanced. For example on WIndows, incorrect graphics api usage will probably just lead to app crash, while on Linux it will lead to GPU hang. This is especially true with Vulkan. Another example is how each OS handles monitor power cycling: On Windows it's completely robust - no crashes, nothing. On KDE it leads to plasma desktop crashes and on Gnome it sometimes causes game crashes.

Comment

Whole reason I went back to Windows after using Linux for 6 years is because I was tired of constantly fixing it and dealing with the graphics stack crashing (usually drivers). I even remember the last straw for me, when I updated my system and an AMD driver update caused it to crash every 5 minutes (literally). It was usermode so it wasn't a kernel panic, but it still took down Xorg and everything I was working on. Went to Windows, driver crashed again. The screen flickered for a second, everything was still open. Pretty much swore off Linux from that point. Of course, it wasn't only that, it was a million things, but that was it for me.
                  I am eagerly waiting for the ecosystem to get better, and it is quite nearly there, enough for me to try it again. Pulse is gone, Xorg is gone, Nix exists. I'm excited for all of it. I would like it to be a viable replacement for Windows since Windows is starting to get a little unreasonable.

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                  Most of the problems for any OS is the user, but since Windows has Microsoft libraries/functions/annoyances/ads forced/compressed into the OS, the system is both much slower and less stable because of it. Then it's the usual Windows is a mastodon system that carries too much than it's worth..
                  Slower? Yes. Less stable? I'm skeptical. Do you have any definitive instances of any unnecessary auxiliary Windows component causing the system to behave erratically?
                  And to their credit, they have scaled it back a bit since 10. Windows 10's start menu is such a slogging beast because of those stupid live tiles, I'm so glad they killed them. What a useless feature.

Comment

100% disk and cpu usage vietnam flashbacks

Comment

Working...
                    X