Taiwins Wayland Compositor Switches From WLROOTS To Its Own Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

Sigh, yet another non-contributing parasite complaining about having more free software to choose from.
    Anger management problem, son? You can go to psychiatrist or psychologist.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

My thoughts exactly. Their only contribution is trolling.
      All you lot could do is just say others' trolling. Hey, our trolling has sounded argument, compared with you that can only throw insult. From my experiences, someone that can only throw insult without good argument(s) usually is not that bright

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Sonadow Unfortunately the reality is that Linux desktop usage will allways be left to a fringe group. In its top usage scenarios it runs headless (even with GPUs for compute). It is an OS that tends to be purpose used not generally usable.

By and large it has become much more usable, but for all the reasons you have mentioned above and the nature of its community it will never be a usable system as a desktop. Microsoft is actually making the most solid strides towards desktop Linux with its WSL2 system. I tend to use that now more than Linux anyway... I dont need a GPL religion when all I want to do is get things done
        I am quite conflicted because desktop Linux actually has the better GUI. Plasma Wayland and Gnome Wayland are very usable, and I definitely like them more than the GUI Microsoft provides on Windows. Also, window management on Windows is painfully primitive. Can't automatically snap a window to the screen's border (or another window's border) when brought close, can't scroll a window's contents if it is not active and in focus.

The problem is that the GUI means nuts if the underlying hardware is not properly recognized and the underlying OS not up to par in exploiting the hardware's capability.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1. Quite debatable. RTRT performance is 30-60% lower. No tensor cores, thus no DLSS or quite interesting and useful features for e.g. content creators.

2. And this is quite frankly BS. The only thing they've surpassed NVIDIA is open sourcedness which only open source fan-atics really care about. AMD drivers are neither more stable, nor contain more features. And NVIDIA monitoring and nvidia-settings configuration tool are yet to be implemented on the same level by AMD.

In short, Linux/AMD fan-atics are full of shit.

And Wayland is still effing irrelevant.
          Arbitrary numbers...
          Show me a Linux RTRT benchmark that proves your point. Of course only neutral benchmarks are accepted, not blobs build by nvidia or amd.
          Also tell me linux game that uses DLSS.
          Finally have you ever ran an nvidia on linux vs nvidia on windows comparison? I have and found out that nvidia on linux is crap. You are getting worse performance on a better OS.

PS: I don't give an f about performance (or features) on windows. Windows is only useful for me as a baseline (linux performance should be better, if it is worse something is amiss).

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

PS: I don't give an f about performance (or features) on windows. Windows is only useful for me as a baseline (linux performance should be better, if it is worse something is amiss).
            That's fucking bullshit. If a feature is available on Windows but not on Linux, then Linux is the fucking deficient and inferior OS to lack something that Windows users get to enjoy for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

That's fucking bullshit. If a feature is available on Windows but not on Linux, then Linux is the fucking deficient and inferior OS to lack something that Windows users get to enjoy for granted.
              Do you have any idea of the fucking context? Or did you just try to missinterprete my post?
              It was about fucking nvidia performance. He was saying about RTRT performance and DLSS stuff. How those stuff perform on windows is at most irrelevant, concerning the quality of the linux driver. If the windows driver works better, it means that the linux driver is bad. That was what I was talking about baseline.
              If windows had more features, or performance in general, it would really be superior. But in general it has worse performance, with the only exception of graphics when using an nvidia card...

Comment

Sometimes I really wonder what the hell is going on here.
                Every single desktop had its own compositor for more then 20 years. Every single one. Why the hell is that an issue now.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  Sigh.. another wayland compositor. Let's invent the wheel, shall we?
                  One of intended goals of Wayland creation is that everyone can create a new compositor relatively easy. No wonder new compositor arrives some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Moved my dual Xeon workstation to Windows 10 seven days ago. USB WiFi performance is at least double that of Linux on the same hardware, and doesn't suddenly freeze or stall. My GT 610 and GT 1030 work marvelously, proprietary drivers continue working even after several Windows updates unlike Linux where a single kernel update breaks them. Any Tom, Dick or harry hardware I buy from any computer store or taobao will be guaranteed to have Windows drivers available; I can buy just about any 802.11ac WiFi USB adapter and plug them into Windows and use them directly, unlike in Linux where the only USB 802.11ac WiFi hardware with in-kernel drivers available are Mediatek 761Xu chipsets.

Powershell cmdlets and Windows commands for various utilities are needlessly complex but are very human readable, unlike LInux and Unix commands.

Special buttons on my Logitech Craft and Microsoft Ergonomic keyboards work right out of the box, unlike in Linux where no amount of configuration will make them launch what I want them to launch. built-in integration with Onedrive means I never have to use a web browser for managing stuff in my Onedrive. I don't get random XWayland crashes that will dump my Plasma Wayaland or Gnome Wayland session back into a TTY.

Am I enjoying Windows? After these 7 days, I sure am. Life is too short to put up with all the issues on Linux. The only things I miss from Linux are the ability to create ramdisks, the ability to configure transient static IP addresses on the NICs, and the ability to use environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and LIBRARY_PATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for building applications).
                    When I see crap posts like this let get real here. A lot of freeze/stalls disappeared for me when I ripped out my Nvidia gpu and put in a AMD one instead with Linux. This is when I started waking up how defective the Nvidia binary drivers are in fact under Linux. Not every single kernel update breaks binary drivers on Linux.

Only used windows for 7 days. That not long enough to learn that Windows Update when it does kernel updates also at times screws you over with drivers or if not with drivers choosing to disable updating behind your back. Update kernel =broken drivers this is a universal problem yes Microsoft solution to this is silently choose not to update your kernel and not tell you as the fix. Linux is lot more predictable on what the broken driver will be than Microsoft. Yes something as what is documented here is Microsoft will freeze machines with particular hardware from getting kernel updates even if those kernel updates are required to fix known CVE being exploited in the wild does explain some of the windows higher infection rates. Yes being stuck on before 5.9 linux kernel for full Nvidia compatibility or stuff like that with Linux you know about it but with windows it done behind your back so you don't know that you are using a computer with its security pants basically down. So driver compatibility is choose your poison here neither is good for different reasons.

Special buttons on keyboards I get working not in your normal ways with Linux. https://github.com/snyball/Hawck so yes you can get them working generically be you using X11 or Wayland or TTY. Sorry to say that no amount of configuration is wrong. Finding how to-do the configuration and the software required is a little on the hard side.

There are onedrive clients for Linux https://abraunegg.github.io/ so you don't have to use a webbrowser to manage onedrive under Linux.

Sonadow basically most of what you wrote was informed crap. Big myth is windows has stable binary driver support. The truth of that myth is Microsoft gives that appearance by silently suspending updates on users putting them at higher security risk without telling them.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

When I see crap posts like this let get real here. A lot of freeze/stalls disappeared for me when I ripped out my Nvidia gpu and put in a AMD one instead with Linux. This is when I started waking up how defective the Nvidia binary drivers are in fact under Linux. Not every single kernel update breaks binary drivers on Linux.
                      That you assume I use the binary drivers on Linux shows just how much of an uninformed asre you are. I use Nouveau on Linux. The fucking kernel's own Nouveau drivers that asshole Linus himself approved.

Only used windows for 7 days.
                      More bullshit assumption. I only said I moved my workstation to Windows 10 for 7 days. I never said I had no other machines or computers at work or at home running Windows 10. Fact check: I have been using Windows 10 since the day it was officially released.

That not long enough to learn that Windows Update when it does kernel updates also at times screws you over with drivers or if not with drivers choosing to disable updating behind your back. Update kernel =broken drivers this is a universal problem yes Microsoft solution to this is silently choose not to update your kernel and not tell you as the fix. Linux is lot more predictable on what the broken driver will be than Microsoft. Yes something as what is documented here is Microsoft will freeze machines with particular hardware from getting kernel updates even if those kernel updates are required to fix known CVE being exploited in the wild does explain some of the windows higher infection rates. Yes being stuck on before 5.9 linux kernel for full Nvidia compatibility or stuff like that with Linux you know about it but with windows it done behind your back so you don't know that you are using a computer with its security pants basically down. So driver compatibility is choose your poison here neither is good for different reasons.
                      Fact check: I have been using Windows 10 since the day it was officially released. Nothing of that nonsense you talked about ever happened to me on Windows Update. Unlike most gamer fagots, I get all of my drivers exclusively from Windows Update. Zero freezes. Zero broken updates. Zero fuss. Since. Day. 1.

There are onedrive clients for Linux https://abraunegg.github.io/ so you don't have to use a webbrowser to manage onedrive under Linux.
                      Spoken like a true moron who never even used what he preaches. Why should I have to install a brand new programming language just to compile a fucking text-based client to OneDrive?

Also, FYI, this client is a fucking joke. Bloody unreliable and keeps fucking losing sync to Onedrive, and on top of that, is only capable of tracking local changes. So if I made changes to anything in Onedrive using Office Online I have to restart my fucking sync cycle.

basically most of what you wrote was informed crap. Big myth is windows has stable binary driver support. The truth of that myth is Microsoft gives that appearance by silently suspending updates on users putting them at higher security risk without telling them.
                      Bullshit. My experiences with Windows 10 says it all. The latest build of Win10 is capable of pulling down a fucking binary WiFi driver from 2003 to use perfectly and with better performance than the Linux kernel drivers. That fucking binary driver would never ever have survive a single minor upgrade in Linux from 2.6.27 to 2.6.28, let alone anything in the 5.x series.

Comment

Working...
                      X