Taiwins Wayland Compositor Switches From WLROOTS To Its Own Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Well, the trend reflects two things in particular.

1. Quality and range of AMD hardware caught up to Nvidia. This isn't Linux specific, so growth of AMD will be also observed on Windows.
    2. Quality of AMD driver stack surpassed Nvidia on Linux in every aspect that relates to gaming and Linux desktop experience in general.

I don't expect these two to change any time soon. So the trend is long term and Nvidia will become the minority among Linux users. I think the only reason for some to use Nvidia in the future would be CUDA for those who are stuck with it because of lock-in.

It's true that currently Nvidia is still the majority even on Linux, but it won't remain so for long. So I'd say Wayland compositor developers don't need to waste time on it if it requires going out of the way for them because of Nvidia's lack of upstreaming quirks, and I support the approach of Sway regarding the blob.
    1. Quite debatable. RTRT performance is 30-60% lower. No tensor cores, thus no DLSS or quite interesting and useful features for e.g. content creators.

2. And this is quite frankly BS. The only thing they've surpassed NVIDIA is open sourcedness which only open source fan-atics really care about. AMD drivers are neither more stable, nor contain more features. And NVIDIA monitoring and nvidia-settings configuration tool are yet to be implemented on the same level by AMD.

In short, Linux/AMD fan-atics are full of shit.

And Wayland is still effing irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      ehansin Pipewire is Gnome..
      FYI, I don't mind Gnome, I am just happy to see some lighter-weight shells that are heavier than simple tiling managers. Even if PipeWire came out of Gnome (the main author appears to be a Red Hat employee), I thought it was something that could be used wherever, a replacement for PulseAudio + JACK + more things. Point being, using it with a lightweight shell to handle the underlying A/V stuff. If it came out of the Gnome camp, fine. Again, I am not against Gnome, it is just heavier than what I really need in a Linux based desktop, but I wouldn't mind something more than a simple tiling manager. They all have their places.

Comment

Good, but Wayland compositors don't need to. Nvidia is DOA and is a waste of everyone's time. Those who care about it can stick to frozen X11.
        NVIDIA is DOA only among Linux zealots. All other people live happily.

Comment

This is about Linux, and you know the trend. Nvidia is done for. So go back to your blob slumber.
          The user of the OS most people have never heard of SPEAKS!!! He speaks!!! (I'm here referencing Beowulf for those who have failed to see the irony).

God, you should really take the crown off your head from time to time.

Even if every Linux user in the world threw away his perfectly working Nvidia GPU and bought an AMD GPU, that would increase AMD's overall market share by maybe 1 or 2%. Nvidia is so concerned, OMG.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Meanwhile almost 9 years after Windows 8 release still lots of core Windows applications is not using new API and uses different styles or icons breaking consistency.
            Most 32 bit applications for windows 95 work just fine in Windows 10 in 2021, end of story. Microsoft unlike idiot open source fan-atics understands the value of backward compatibility. Your counterargument is crap (because it proves you wrong) only you fail to realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

Sigh, yet another non-contributing parasite complaining about having more free software to choose from.
              My thoughts exactly. Their only contribution is trolling.

Comment

I doubt it. Who cares about Nvidia these days?
                Me. Because unfortunately 99% of notebooks that have powerful dGPU - have Nvidia. Even the ones with AMD processors. There are only couple of models with somewhat modern discrete Radeons (not counting Macbooks) on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  Me. Because unfortunately 99% of notebooks that have powerful dGPU - have Nvidia. Even the ones with AMD processors. There are only couple of models with somewhat modern discrete Radeons (not counting Macbooks) on the market.
                  I expect that to improve when AMD will release mobile oriented RDNA 2 GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Most 32 bit applications for windows 95 work just fine in Windows 10 in 2021, end of story. Microsoft unlike idiot open source fan-atics understands the value of backward compatibility. Your counterargument is crap (because it proves you wrong) only you fail to realize that.
                    Dont want to burst your bubble, microsoft/windows does indeed value backwards compatibility but that doesn't mean linux throws it out the window.

Linux has 32bit support, LTS kernels, Compatibility layers like wine, proton and other emulators, virtualisation support, Linux kernel devs never remove support for old syscalls, they dont ever want to break userspace, in Wayland you have full Xwayland support, Gnome and Qt are largely backwards compatible, sway for wayland implemented complete backwards support for i3 config files.

You should focus on learning the software world rather than being resentfull. everything is broken, nothing works so do something about it like linux torvalds did, twice, with git and linux.

Comment

I doubt it. Who cares about Nvidia these days?
                      at the moment, me, with a 3090 fe.

Comment

Working...
                      X