Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That has nothing to do with the filesystem. But using a propritary filesystem on Linux is big brain time anyways, so what did I expect.
    It provides all the same features and that is the road they are taking. https://github.com/ubuntu/zsys

There is no reason to do a sparse files loopback in order to use LUKS and containerize it when you have zvols, native encryption and zfssend. Adding it on top to do the work arounds redhat had to do to provide feature parity would only slow it down and provide redundant features. Zsys can do this better and more cleanly.

There is also some TimeMachiene'esque features they are adding to Nautilius based on ZFS.

Also ZFS is opensource.. wft. lol, It's copyleft almost identical to MPL. It's like calling Firefox "propritary"
    Last edited by k1e0x; 28 January 2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      Idono 20.04 waland still crashes a few times a month.
      Can you share a few of the tickets numbers you have open with Ubuntu? Is there anything in common in the backtrace?

Comment

Wireless switching is working well for me. (Did you set AP priorities?)
        Then you haven't tried IWD.
        I tried it in the past and it worked better than the default, but there were some compatibility problems and I have not tried to do it again.
        I'm sure it would work better and all the compatibility problems would be solved if Canonical's engineers have a look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Can you share a few of the tickets numbers you have open with Ubuntu? Is there anything in common in the backtrace?
          Can you share how to create a ticket with a backtrace?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
            Wayland already works fantastically well on Intel and AMD GPUs. Nvidia users will have to wait slightly (a lot) more.
            not my experience, a lot of input lag in gaming and crashes even with native apps but ok maybe my intel gpu and amd gpu are different

Comment

Well, good luck with this debacle

Comment

Can you share how to create a ticket with a backtrace?
                I would sometimes just click "report" on the problem reporting applet (and let it do the underlying work), but you can also use the abrt command directly using the report subcommand.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  What about improving the Wireless by switching to Intel's IWD ?
                  Or switching the user and its home directory to the new systemd's structure?
                  I hope that Kubuntu wil try to follow suit a bit and ship with the Wayland package installed by default so we can quickly try Wayland session without the need to download anything.
                  Kubuntu most definitely won't switch. KDE's Wayland support is still in tech preview (i.e. not even in beta).

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
                  Wayland already works fantastically well on Intel and AMD GPUs. Nvidia users will have to wait slightly (a lot) more.
                  I wonder if we'll be able to say the same once Intel brings Xe to the market. They're usually pretty good with support, but teething problems bite everyone.

Comment

Year 2038: Users of the NVIDIA proprietary driver still have the X.Org session by default but things are about to change real soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Year 2038: Users of the NVIDIA proprietary driver still have the X.Org session by default but things are about to change real soon.
                      My thoughts as well. It's likely sooner to see Intel and AMD dGPUs widely available in gaming laptops, than seeing nVidia working well on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X