More AMDGPU DC Patches Posted As It Looks Unlikely It Will Land For Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    yeah okay, but you could express such plans before already and see how the community thinks about your plans. You don't need to write tons of patches to figure out later there is a lot of controvery.
    They have no other choice so it's not really relevant what the community thinks about it, it's either that (sharing code between OSes) or proprietary-only support with AMDGPU-PRO.

Comment

If I build that DC enabled kernel, I get freesync support, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
        If I build that DC enabled kernel, I get freesync support, right?
        Yes and no. You might get kernel part of FS, but userpace is still unaware... to get that working likely ddx maybe mesa patches are also needed.

These trees are developer playground, so if you know nearly everything developers know you should be capable to use it (better say to test it if it work or don't,etc... ) somewhat make sense if you plan to be on bugzilla or so... average user Joe simply won't until all parts are in releases as always

Smells like next Ubuntu LTS would be great for AMD opensource users
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 June 2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          The thing is you don't have to wait for kernel 4.14 hoping DC will be there. You don't have to wait until Ubuntu has it. I assume there are skilled users here who can build the branch now, just enable DC in menuconfig. If you have Vega, this is the first thing you would do. Or wait for a PPA, though there already might be one.
          Knock-knock Marek, you must be too much up to speed ... which is cool, but i think most of Ubuntu users are somewhat lazy to even add yet another PPAs, let alone anything else Someone need to write article with clear instruction and link to that PPA, as to how you actaully enable Vega support.

Drink couple beers to simulate how hard things are for them, and if you still can... then please drink more for successful similation

Last edited by dungeon; 10 June 2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Or wait for a PPA, though there already might be one.
            There is http://packages.amd.com/ but it contains only ROCm code, not DC/DAL.
            Plus from the package filenames it appears that things there are based off Linux 4.9.0 which would mean that the kernels there may be behind on security patches.

Comment

Isn't Mystro256 building packages off the staging trees ?
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Is there an amdgpu-dc repo for Arch anyone knows of? I'd love to just try it, but the Arch wiki doesn't have one listed.

See http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Isn't Mystro256 building packages off the staging trees ?
                  Indeed but only for Fedora though. There's also someone who's doing the same for Debian/Ubuntu:

M-Bab has 8 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Comment

M-Bab Thank you for rolling the 11 staging branch.
                    The difference from 4.11.4+ to 4.11.5+ is nice the vulcan error I had with the Talos Principle is gone. I see a Code Guard error (happened with 4.11.4 too)with Serious Sam Fusion but the benchmark runs anyway. It doesn't happen with the generic Ubuntu kernels.

The best surprise is the constant spam during start-up is fixed, no more kernel: IO_PAGE_FAULT device=01:00.0 (My 1st Fury X ) it was present in 4.11.4+.
                    That error is still in today's daily roll of drm/next 4.12.0-996.21706162316-generic_amd64 and all Ubuntu kernels I've tested.

It's just amazing how everything is coming together. A big Thank You to all the hard working devs.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

DarkFoss Thanks for being a brave tester and user of this bleeding edge kernel. So far 4.11.5+ is working amazingly for me too - it fixed an issue with Tyranny I had since kernel 4.9.13+(!).

Whenever you notice problems that are undoubtedly linked to the kernel feel free to open an issue on github. Then I try to track it down a bit and report the bug upstream to the AMD devs.

Comment

Working...
                      X