Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.0 Released: What You Need To Know About This Cross-Platform, High-Performance Graphics API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

All i saw in my head reading this was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIT0WT_HYeE
    I guess you meant this article.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I liked your story.
    Yes that article, I couldn't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

That would make a great signature line.

What does it mean ?
      It's a local saying and it means that (always) sour people have no use. It's just funny ;-)

Comment

Just as I expected.. AMD hinders a productive process yet again. My guess is that it will be 9 months 23 days 8 hours 17 minutes and 44 seconds before AMD releases a half-assed lackluster linux vulkan driver which won't support older hardware of course.

Comment

What process do you think we have hindered ? Game developers have been working with our Vulkan driver for a while, the only thing that hasn't happened yet is a public release on Linux since that's tied to the (WIP) amdgpu hybrid stack.

If you're saying that we're not sucking up to the PR machine enough by pushing an unfinished hybrid driver stack out the door for purely PR purposes then you're probably right.

We have already said that we plan to support all of the GCN products (GCN launched in 2011, Kepler launched in 2012 IIRC), starting with VI and working back because of the radeon->amdgpu transition. When you "guess" about us not supporting older hardware, is your guess in line with what we have already announced or are you anticipating something different ?
          Last edited by bridgman; 18 February 2016, 09:54 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

bridgman AMD has been pretty clear about everything so keep calm and don't let complaints bite you.
            I rather see it done right then a stressed release.
            I thought we would see catalyst on top of amdgpu this summer when polaris hits the market but i recently changed my estimations to early autumn.
            As long as we all know it's coming then there's no need to worry since there's not much use of vulkan yet anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
              On the desktop, XP, even now, still has a larger market share than Linux
              and nobody with xp needs vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                since there's not much use of vulkan yet anyway.
                It's good to see you comfort yourself with that but when it comes to real world of computer technology it doesn't save the day. Remember there's a race between different platforms and rival APIs that run on those platforms. Even one month that game developers don't target linux is a veeeery long time. Plus I'm not an AMD user, but I've got to worry about AMD's incompetence in this which makes the situation bizarre to say the least!

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                  Remember there's a race between different platforms and rival APIs that run on those platforms. Even one month that game developers don't target linux is a veeeery long time.
                  Yep, this is why we prioritized working with game developers over getting a public release out on launch day. Do you disagree with that ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    There might be some special embedded device based on XP(e) that uses vulcan that's not on the consumer market, i don't think so but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      I would refer you to the second paragraph of the post you quoted from. And nobody with Windows currently needs Vulkan, though that doesn't mean it is unwelcome there.

My point in my original post was that whether in articles such as http://www.anandtech.com/show/10035/vulkan-10-released that suggest that Vulkan support for XP would be coming from some yet-to-be-named source, or a number of overzealous comments such as https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...leased/d024ig1, Windows XP (and Vista) support was never really in the pipeline. This particular differentiator isn't a differentiator as it is unrealized, and of all the talking points that separate Vulkan from DirectX 12, it was an unnecessary one, and it never should have been raised in the first place as there was no credible reason to believe it would materialize.
                      Last edited by eidolon; 19 February 2016, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X