Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Open-Source Allowed Valve To Implement VULKAN Much Faster On The Source 2 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    It seems the resource constraint at AMD may have a toll on Linux development but the last thing any of us want to see is more driver neglect on Linux. I would gladly donate to AMD for driver Linux development (either driver FFS).
    I buy everything but AMD ram, several APU's, processors and video cards in the last 2 years alone for me and my family. But it seems this doesn't entitle me to want AMD to work hard on LINUX (seriously I could give a fuck about Windows period) even though that's 100% of the purpose of my purchases. Mantle should of came to Linux, it was *"bulllshit lazy" it didn't. With Vulkan on the way it's pointless now but if it was cross platform it may of had more of a impact, as you say, with tier-1 companies such as the momentum behind Vulkan which has many big names.

I don't want you to think that I am being overly critical but I purchase AMD hardware but if they need more money for software fine, something like a kickstarted campaign to fund AMD driver development, hell, even people who use NVIDIA because of current or past drivers would probably donate because of the remembered need =).

* with valve stating how easy it was to make a vulkan driver I believe mantle drivers to be just as trivial so yeah, what the fuck.
    Seriously, given the way things worked out what good would have come from releasing a Linux Mantle driver ? None of the game devs would have ported their games to Linux on Mantle knowing that Vulkan was coming. Companies don't really have feelings to hurt, but if they did then calling the decision not to implement a Linux Mantle driver under the circumstances "bulllshit lazy" (or even "bullshit lazy") would be both unfair and insulting.

Remember that the goal of Mantle was to change the direction of development environments, not to push an AMD-centric graphics API standard.

Implementing one Mantle driver probably wouldn't have been that much work, but Mantle was a moving target right until the end and maintaining two evolving drivers would have meant a lot of wasted effort. By the time the API stabilized enough to be the easy development effort you imagine, Vulkan was on the way.

Just for once, could you (and I mean "you all", not just nightmarex and asdfblah) please stop assuming that every decision a company makes is driven by stupidity or ignorance ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 April 2015, 08:32 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Stupid edit limit.

s/Implementing one Mantle driver/Implementing a Linux Mantle driver once/

You many not "give a fuck about Windows", but it still accounts for >>90% of our revenues so we need to care about it even so. Sorry but that's just the way it is.
      Last edited by bridgman; 03 April 2015, 08:39 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Stupid edit limit.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Stupid edit limit.
          Hopefully someday michael make something with Stupid edit limit

Comment

Stupid edit limit.

s/Implementing one Mantle driver/Implementing a Linux Mantle driver once/

You many not "give a fuck about Windows", but it still accounts for >>90% of our revenues so we need to care about it even so. Sorry but that's just the way it is.
            Tell those chinamans to stop using Windows, issue solved I don't even being aware of their "14 year console ban" that somehow explain their Windows and high PCs only usage. Blah, they even don't use linux on servers like rest of the world

Funny thing is why Valve choose OpenGL to port games, one of the main points is because chinamans use Windows XP but have new hardware
            Last edited by dungeon; 03 April 2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Just for once, could you (and I mean "you all", not just nightmarex and asdfblah) please stop assuming that every decision a company makes is driven by stupidity or ignorance ?
              to be fair, every decision AMD has made related to CPUs for the past 5 years has been ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                to be fair, every decision AMD has made related to CPUs for the past 5 years has been ignorance.
                The CPU development pipeline is pretty long -- CPU decisions you think were made in the last 5 years were probably made more like 10 years ago. Decisions we made in the last 5 years will show up in the CPUs you see a few years from now. Come back in 2017 or 2018 and then you can comment on decisions we made in the past 5 years.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Not quite true, those plays well where:

It makes sense that AMD's chip design strategy, which has always been about performance per dollar, is so well suited for a place where people generally have more brains than dollars.

Great China looks fine with ~75% of AMD revenues, but yeah in States, Europe, Japan where people generally have money, interest in AMD seems halfed

7% in USA, 8% in Europe... who cares
                  Last edited by dungeon; 03 April 2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

The CPU development pipeline is pretty long -- CPU decisions you think were made in the last 5 years were probably made more like 10 years ago. Decisions we made in the last 5 years will show up in the CPUs you see a few years from now. Come back in 2017 or 2018 and then you can comment on decisions we made in the past 5 years.
                    Bridbge, you have to ignore the haters, or you're gonna lose your hair over threads like this. Come back to being the nice Bridge man, who gives us drivers, and info.

Most us know that it's ridiculous for us to armchair-CEO, from our basement PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                      Bridbge, you have to ignore the haters, or you're gonna lose your hair over threads like this.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X