Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Open-Source Allowed Valve To Implement VULKAN Much Faster On The Source 2 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Thanks for the answers.

One more question -to anyone that can answer-. Which cards are going to support Vulkan. Only the newer ones or it will go further back.
    Radeon 5000+ series, Nvidia GeForce 400+ series, Intel Ivy Bridge IGP+(?) I think will all be able to use Vulkan. If the card supports OpenGL 4.2 or higher I think it's guaranteed to support Vulkan on the Desktop side. On the mobile side the graphics need OpenGL ES 3.1+

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

One more question -to anyone that can answer-. Which cards are going to support Vulkan. Only the newer ones or it will go further back.
      AMD GCN, NVIDIA Fermi, Intel Haswell (or even Ivy Bridge?)

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        Radeon 5000+ series, Nvidia GeForce 400+ series, Intel Ivy Bridge IGP+(?) I think will all be able to use Vulkan. If the card supports OpenGL 4.2 or higher I think it's guaranteed to support Vulkan on the Desktop side. On the mobile side the graphics need OpenGL ES 3.1+
        Thanks. So probably my 6850 supports it.

Comment

will we see mesa openGL reimplemented ontop of vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            Was this the stakeholder surprise?
            i'm wondering the same thing,

Comment

FWIW, that card doesn't support mantle and vulkan is supposed to be heavily based on that.

Comment

I sure hope, I have a 6850 also. But depending on the source I doubt it. Everything I've read says it's GCN cards only.

According to wikipedia, the 6xxx series supports OpenGL 4.3, but it's 4.1 according to AMD website. And looking at my computer, seems it has OpenGL 4.4. I don't know what to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  I sure hope, I have a 6850 also. But depending on the source I doubt it. Everything I've read says it's GCN cards only.

According to wikipedia, the 6xxx series supports OpenGL 4.3, but it's 4.1 according to AMD website. And looking at my computer, seems it has OpenGL 4.4. I don't know what to believe.

While nice to have i don't believe that DEs will adopt it immediately. I don't care about games -and probably won't care until steam releases a 64 only client- TBH i would prefer other stuff to be fixed before Vulkan for my card (ie. HW acceleration is a bit of a PITA).

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

It seems your driver supports OpenGL 4.4. Anything that isn't supported in hardware can be emulated in software, so the driver can emulate nearly all new features and it will fallback to software emulation if a needed feature isn't supported by the graphics card.
                    I have the same with my Intel GMA 3150. Officially, it only supports OpenGL 1.3/1.4 but thanks to a new Mesa release, I can also use features from OpenGL 2.1 but those features are very very slow.

Comment

Meanwhile, AMD, the creator of this Mantle/Vulkan stuff, hasn't released a single line of code for their Linux OSS driver.
                      AMD keeps missing business opportunities. No wonder it's going down...

Comment

Working...
                      X