Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's VDPAU State Tracker Adds Support For AV1 Decoding

Phoronix: Mesa's VDPAU State Tracker Adds Support For AV1 Decoding

While Mesa Gallium3D drivers with capable GPUs have already supported accelerated AV1 video deocding, to date it's been limited to the Video Acceleration API (VA-API). With newly-merged code for Mesa 24.1, the VDPAU state tracker can now also handle AV1 decoding with supported drivers/GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know this is a somewhat silly statement seeing as how Open Source dev. is always fluid and continuous but it seems to me that Mesa 24.1 is going to be one of those releases that really sets a firm base for the future of the graphics stack and is more than a mere point release.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      I know this is a somewhat silly statement seeing as how Open Source dev. is always fluid and continuous but it seems to me that Mesa 24.1 is going to be one of those releases that really sets a firm base for the future of the graphics stack and is more than a mere point release.
      They aren't using semver, they use <year>.<quarter>.x

Comment

Would be nice to see vulkan video to replace VDPAU and VA-API in future. Then the developers could actually concentrate on supporting, debugging and patching just one API. It is quite aweful to have different applications with different support and not being able to use the favoured combinations.

Comment

standards_2x.png

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
            Would be nice to see vulkan video to replace VDPAU and VA-API in future. Then the developers could actually concentrate on supporting, debugging and patching just one API. It is quite aweful to have different applications with different support and not being able to use the favoured combinations.
            Vulkan video is nice but still missing some features and not all devices support it. Also Vulkan is a pain for some arm devices like rk3588 etc. So to forcing one standard is a bit too early.

Comment

VDPAU is basically dead, the spec wasn't updated to Wayland world.

Comment

I wonder if this kind of development will finally fix the issue of tearing in Kodi on my Geforce 1080 system. I have the latest kernel, nvidia proprietary drivers, and latest Kodi. The tearing is pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  I wonder if this kind of development will finally fix the issue of tearing in Kodi on my Geforce 1080 system. I have the latest kernel, nvidia proprietary drivers, and latest Kodi. The tearing is pretty obvious.
                  I don't see how. The NVIDIA proprietary drivers don't use Mesa's VDPAU implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    Heh, this is the same thing I linked to in the last article about Vulkan Video. What is so great about it?
                    And why did we really need VA-API when ATI/AMD and Nvidia already supported VDPAU? Just to make Intel happy because they didn't like VDPAU?

Comment

Working...
                    X