No announcement yet.

Mesa 24.0 Gets Asahi AGX Gallium3D To OpenGL 3.3 For Apple Silicon Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrong communism means the State/Government owns everything and you as privat citizen you own nothing.

linux is different the opensource/free software license makes you that YOU own the source code of the operating system.

so linux is not like communism instead linux is like Anarchism.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

This shows many people aren't aware the difference in meaning for those who speak of "woke" / "lgbt" / "communist" in a negative sense and those who speak of them in positive sense. Both groups are usually talking about a totally different set of concepts and behaviours, with only some overlap (but not all) in which persons such labels shall one stick them on.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

"they haven't delivered anything"

what exactly did you expect ? honestly ? they did deliver an ISA (Simple-V) and logic-digital-design source code what you can put into a FPGA ...

so it is not fraud as you claim they did only get money for achieve important goals.

goals for the betterment of humankind.

Where do I get/buy this GPU card then? And no, I don't think downloading and running Google's software GL rasteriser on a FPGA Power chip (also downloaded from the Internet) remotely counts as anything like designing a GPU. Although if they had got that far at least there'd be a card that had some abysmal 3d performance. They never released anything.

The betterment of humankind would be for the tax money to go to a hospital or school.

Comment

Originally posted by nsklaus View Post
          asahi linux is getting better and progress is being made. devs are skilled. that is true, however asahi currently still have many shortcomings. (no sound, incomplete opengl, no vulkan yet, and some more..). but, even if we choose the patient stance and wait for missing features to be implemented and general progress to be made, there are still major problems with this linux port.

- macos becomes a linux dependency (a fat one, around 100gb "bios")
          - linux inherit apple screwups on its own platform (see the recent fiasco about sonoma update )
          - the lead dev have some strange ideas (for example he thinks ability to change resolution should not exist, as a result gfx driver is always rendering at maximum dimension, and users cannot change it, he thinks scaling desktop is the way to go instead).
          - booting off external harddrive cannot be done if macos isn't installed.
          - you cannot install linux directly but you are required to install macos first, then linux. you will always have to keep macos around.
          - lead dev also don't have proper ideas about freedom to choose, enforcing his views on users is a no brainer for him. (what subsystem you should use, he choose for you. )
          - he is also quick on silencing people and banning everyone who says things he don't want to see or hear. (and there's a lot of things he don't want to see or hear, the first one is discussing his choices or the way he choose to implement stuff)
          - the overall asahi team is very agressive and have degenerate opinions they will enforce on you (they are strong supporters of woke and lgbt, they will force you to speak using their new norms, their new words, and if you're not on their political side they will simply ban you).
          - the way this port is implemented cannot be discussed, the lead dev marcan knows what is good for you even if you disagree. (if you do you'll get banned anyway, once you're banned he will portray you as crazy, evil, a mean person, on the sites he controls, and you will have no opportunity to nuance what he says about you).

there is more that could be added to that list, but you get the idea. to conclude i'd say: porting linux to apple's new arch is good, and would be a benefit for linux world as a whole. ability to run linux on most hardware is a good thing. apple new arch is powerful and consume little energy, it is also silent and produce little heat. all that is nice. but the way asahi linux intend to proceed is to to piggy back linux on top of macos. the way it is implemented is discutable and is not about studying about how to fully unlock the hardware for linux. i for one thought i could ignore their ideological talk, but i was quite wrong. it is strongly enforced on you whatever the level of interaction you will have with them (even on technical side). it is unbearable. i ended up buying myself a proper linux laptop that is ready now, and doesn't have all the limitations of asahi, the bad design, bad choices and the very toxic community. if you want arm, buy raspi, pine64, or similar platform. avoid asahi like plague.
          What you just described is the way of neocommies are functioning. I've seen this before and it's insane. As you said buying new laptop just for Linux makes more sense than sticking with obvious "unhinged" folk.
          Less headache, less problems.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Jesus. where to even begin unpacking this?

The openGL is complete and conformant. No, you don't need to have macOS installed, only a few MB of bootloader shim. Pretty much everything else you said is insane BS.

Go take your meds.
            Oh here we go again. The guy just described his personal experience with the Asahi developers, yet you crazy lefties can't bear to read it, and calls him to take his meds...?

Seems to me that you're the one who needs meds. Take a chill pill my friend and get back to reality. It's okay to criticize others and you should stop being so fragile

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

and you know what is the joke on top of all this jokes.... these are the same people who claim that people like MY PERSON are Toxic.

and of course if you talk agaist woke and lgbt and left-liberal marxist/communist satanic propaganda in general they call you toxic.
              because they are do weak and fragile. They behave more like a "cult" instead of like a normal adult, so much so that they started to "eat their own". I've seen that so many times before. Joke on them for calling everyone else toxic.

Comment

Chill down mate. I get it that you can't stand commies. I can't either, but thinking that Linux is bad is simply stupid. Most of distros are not even community but driven by companies like RHEL, Suse, Canonical and even if they say "community", it makes me laugh. They indeed make insane amount of money from it.

The only community Linux you can find is Debian, and because of their commie approach they split into two: one who support systemd and one (which forked original project) who still thinks that init is better...

Linux is great OS for doing anything and even better server wise, so I would not ditch it completely just because you don't agree with their insane looks of "the world".

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Where do I get/buy this GPU card then? And no, I don't think downloading and running Google's software GL rasteriser on a FPGA Power chip (also downloaded from the Internet) remotely counts as anything like designing a GPU. Although if they had got that far at least there'd be a card that had some abysmal 3d performance. They never released anything.

The betterment of humankind would be for the tax money to go to a hospital or school.
                  As far as I know, the Libre-SOC project is still actively developing. Their ultimate goal is still an SoC that requires completely no binary blob or closed source firmware. As long as no other projects can do that or ever try to do that, they are still the only horse in the game. Raptor workstations don't have functional audio and video support by themselves as far as I know.

They did test fabrication of a 180nm ASIC 2 years ago. https://www.phoronix.com/news/Libre-SOC-Test-ASIC-180nm

Comment

The range of emotions I am going through when reading this thread, from excited, to disappointed, to impressed, to grossed out, to freaked out, to be 'wtf did I just read', to 'hmm, did not know this' to 'ah, the usual troll' to 'wow, thanks for sharing this'. Geesh, I need a coffee.

Comment

- ...he thinks ability to change resolution should not exist, as a result gfx driver is always rendering at maximum dimension, and users cannot change it, he thinks scaling desktop is the way to go instead).
                      That's how it is on macOS. You aways have the crisp picture, no matter how big UI you choose. Unfortunatelly Linux sux at HighDPI.

- lead dev also don't have proper ideas about freedom to choose, enforcing his views on users is a no brainer for him. (what subsystem you should use, he choose for you. )
                      - he is also quick on silencing people and banning everyone who says things he don't want to see or hear. (and there's a lot of things he don't want to see or hear, the first one is discussing his choices or the way he choose to implement stuff)
                      - the overall asahi team is very agressive and have degenerate opinions they will enforce on you (they are strong supporters of woke and lgbt, they will force you to speak using their new norms, their new words, and if you're not on their political side they will simply ban you).
                      - the way this port is implemented cannot be discussed, the lead dev marcan knows what is good for you even if you disagree. (if you do you'll get banned anyway, once you're banned he will portray you as crazy, evil, a mean person, on the sites he controls, and you will have no opportunity to nuance what he says about you).​
                      Typical to many other Linux devs, too. Also too much democracy and discussion slows down the development.

Comment

Working...
                      X