Mesa 24.0 Gets Asahi AGX Gallium3D To OpenGL 3.3 For Apple Silicon Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.0 Gets Asahi AGX Gallium3D To OpenGL 3.3 For Apple Silicon Hardware

Phoronix: Mesa 24.0 Gets Asahi AGX Gallium3D To OpenGL 3.3 For Apple Silicon Hardware

A set of 53 patches were upstreamed on Monday for syncing Mesa 24.0-devel against the latest Asahi AGX Gallium3D driver changes carried by Asahi Linux. This in turn is a big push for getting more of the open-source OpenGL functionality into Mesa for enjoying Linux on Apple M1 and M2 hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

M1 and M2? we on M3 now, with crapple old stuff throw in trash and buy new now.

Comment

By the time M1 and M2 work correctly M4 will be old news.

Comment

Yawn... Crapple this, Sheeple that. Apple doesn't support Open Source at all...

Yet somehow, this GPU driver is miles ahead of Nvidia, the alleged industry leader. Apple laptops have some of the best Linux support too....

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
          By the time M1 and M2 work correctly M4 will be old news.
          In many ways this is good. It means that we will be able to pick up the (now supported) hardware dirt cheap second hand as all the Apple fans have ditched them for the later model.

I think Apple hardware tends to be fairly ugly and fragile, but I don't mind dumping it in the TV cabinet for a movie player, or perhaps in the spare room as a home server.

(Yes, a Raspberry Pi is probably still going to be better power-wise and ex-business surplus prices of admittedly better hardware (ThinkPad, ThinkStation Tiny) will also be cheaper but choice is good and often helps bring down prices further)
          Last edited by kpedersen; 07 November 2023, 07:03 AM.

Comment

asahi linux is getting better and progress is being made. devs are skilled. that is true, however asahi currently still have many shortcomings. (no sound, incomplete opengl, no vulkan yet, and some more..). but, even if we choose the patient stance and wait for missing features to be implemented and general progress to be made, there are still major problems with this linux port.

- macos becomes a linux dependency (a fat one, around 100gb "bios")
            - linux inherit apple screwups on its own platform (see the recent fiasco about sonoma update )
            - the lead dev have some strange ideas (for example he thinks ability to change resolution should not exist, as a result gfx driver is always rendering at maximum dimension, and users cannot change it, he thinks scaling desktop is the way to go instead).
            - booting off external harddrive cannot be done if macos isn't installed.
            - you cannot install linux directly but you are required to install macos first, then linux. you will always have to keep macos around.
            - lead dev also don't have proper ideas about freedom to choose, enforcing his views on users is a no brainer for him. (what subsystem you should use, he choose for you. )
            - he is also quick on silencing people and banning everyone who says things he don't want to see or hear. (and there's a lot of things he don't want to see or hear, the first one is discussing his choices or the way he choose to implement stuff)
            - the overall asahi team is very agressive and have degenerate opinions they will enforce on you (they are strong supporters of woke and lgbt, they will force you to speak using their new norms, their new words, and if you're not on their political side they will simply ban you).
            - the way this port is implemented cannot be discussed, the lead dev marcan knows what is good for you even if you disagree. (if you do you'll get banned anyway, once you're banned he will portray you as crazy, evil, a mean person, on the sites he controls, and you will have no opportunity to nuance what he says about you).

there is more that could be added to that list, but you get the idea. to conclude i'd say: porting linux to apple's new arch is good, and would be a benefit for linux world as a whole. ability to run linux on most hardware is a good thing. apple new arch is powerful and consume little energy, it is also silent and produce little heat. all that is nice. but the way asahi linux intend to proceed is to to piggy back linux on top of macos. the way it is implemented is discutable and is not about studying about how to fully unlock the hardware for linux. i for one thought i could ignore their ideological talk, but i was quite wrong. it is strongly enforced on you whatever the level of interaction you will have with them (even on technical side). it is unbearable. i ended up buying myself a proper linux laptop that is ready now, and doesn't have all the limitations of asahi, the bad design, bad choices and the very toxic community. if you want arm, buy raspi, pine64, or similar platform. avoid asahi like plague.
            Last edited by nsklaus; 07 November 2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

In many ways this is good. It means that we will be able to pick up the (now supported) hardware dirt cheap second hand as all the Apple fans have ditched them for the later model.

I think Apple hardware tends to be fairly ugly and fragile, but I don't mind dumping it in the TV cabinet for a movie player, or perhaps in the spare room as a home server.

(Yes, a Raspberry Pi is probably still going to be better power-wise and ex-business surplus prices of admittedly better hardware (ThinkPad, ThinkStation Tiny) will also be cheaper but choice is good and often helps bring down prices further)
              I lived off of used hardware for almost 20 years. Planned obsolescence can be a good thing when you're broke. Not everyone can afford to buy top of the line hardware as it is released. I feel fortunate that I managed to build the system I have now.

It's not like most people can take advantage of new hardware anyways. M2, M4, M24...that YouTube video is still gonna be 1080p30...

Yeah, but it's in the TV cabinet and, when you have kids, sometimes it's necessary to start Baby Shark, Cars, or Frozen faster than a Pi is able. I think I'm going through shell shock remembering toddlers and unskippable DVD bullshit. There's a special place in Hell for people who make children's movies with unskippable bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I don’t expect a large amount of people upgrading from the M1 to M3 systems. All these systems are fast. The reason most people need to upgrade their systems is that there systems were slow to begin with, really old or they are running the adware known as windows. We are getting to the point where all relatively mid/ high end systems are not very noticeable in difference for everyday email/web use. If you are rendering or compiling stuff, yeah difference but most don’t do that.
                If you think apple’s stuff is fragile, what do you think of the pc stuff? I can definitely can complain about Apple products, but fragility is not one of the things on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                  I don’t expect a large amount of people upgrading from the M1 to M3 systems.
                  They will. For example the older macbooks and iphones were good enough in terms of speed for most things the average user did and yet the Apple fans consumed either way. The arm64 series will be no different to PowerPC or Intel in terms of rate of perceived obsolescence from Apple's target market.

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                  If you think apple’s stuff is fragile, what do you think of the pc stuff? I can definitely can complain about Apple products, but fragility is not one of the things on my list.
                  Underneath the aluminum shell, the Apple parts tend to be pretty far from rugged. Screens, chargers, memory, hard disks tend to fail far more often on our fleet of macs. Some do survive well; it is really hit or miss! Possibly this suggests an inconsistent manufacturing pipeline.

Its a shame really to chuck out a perfectly good metal shell because its insides have turned to dust. The last solid mac was probably the Mac Pro G5. That was almost as robust as the earlier pre-Lenovo ThinkPads.

As for PC parts, the improved reparability is also nice.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 07 November 2023, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsklaus View Post
                    asahi linux is getting better and progress is being made. devs are skilled. that is true, however asahi currently still have many shortcomings. (no sound, incomplete opengl, no vulkan yet, and some more..). but, even if we choose the patient stance and wait for missing features to be implemented and general progress to be made, there are still major problems with this linux port.

- macos becomes a linux dependency (a fat one, around 100gb "bios")
                    - linux inherit apple screwups on its own platform (see the recent fiasco about sonoma update )
                    - the lead dev have some strange ideas (for example he thinks ability to change resolution should not exist, as a result gfx driver is always rendering at maximum dimension, and users cannot change it, he thinks scaling desktop is the way to go instead).
                    - booting off external harddrive cannot be done if macos isn't installed.
                    - you cannot install linux directly but you are required to install macos first, then linux. you will always have to keep macos around.
                    - lead dev also don't have proper ideas about freedom to choose, enforcing his views on users is a no brainer for him. (what subsystem you should use, he choose for you. )
                    - he is also quick on silencing people and banning everyone who says things he don't want to see or hear. (and there's a lot of things he don't want to see or hear, the first one is discussing his choices or the way he choose to implement stuff)
                    - the overall asahi team is very agressive and have degenerate opinions they will enforce on you (they are strong supporters of woke and lgbt, they will force you to speak using their new norms, their new words, and if you're not on their political side they will simply ban you).
                    - the way this port is implemented cannot be discussed, the lead dev marcan knows what is good for you even if you disagree. (if you do you'll get banned anyway, once you're banned he will portray you as crazy, evil, a mean person, on the sites he controls, and you will have no opportunity to nuance what he says about you).

there is more that could be added to that list, but you get the idea. to conclude i'd say: porting linux to apple's new arch is good, and would be a benefit for linux world as a whole. ability to run linux on most hardware is a good thing. apple new arch is powerful and consume little energy, it is also silent and produce little heat. all that is nice. but the way asahi linux intend to proceed is to to piggy back linux on top of macos. the way it is implemented is discutable and is not about studying about how to fully unlock the hardware for linux. i for one thought i could ignore their ideological talk, but i was quite wrong. it is strongly enforced on you whatever the level of interaction you will have with them (even on technical side). it is unbearable. i ended up buying myself a proper linux laptop that is ready now, and doesn't have all the limitations of asahi, the bad design, bad choices and the very toxic community. if you want arm, buy raspi, pine64, or similar platform. avoid asahi like plague.
                    It's been so long since I lent Hector Martín (marcan) my Super WildCard DX (for snes) that I'm starting to think he has fused with it. Maybe he's using it to power his Asahi project, or to hack into the PlayStation 5. Maybe he's trying to reverse engineer it, or to create a clone of it. Maybe he's just too busy playing Super Mario World, or too lazy to return it. Whatever the reason, I want my device back!

Hector, if you're reading this, please give me back my Super WildCard DX. It's not yours, it's mine. You've had it for too long, and it's not fair. I lent it to you as a friend, not as a gift. Don't you have a heart, or a conscience? Don't you have any respect, or gratitude? Don't you have any shame, or remorse?

If you don't give me back my device soon, I will have to take action. I will tell everyone about your theft, and your dishonesty. I will expose you on social media, forums, chats, conferences, and everywhere else. I will use hashtags like #marcanIsAThief, #ReturnTheSuperWildCardDX, #JusticeForTimofonic, and #Boycottmarcan I will make memes, songs, poems, and jokes about you. I will make you regret ever taking my device.

So, please, Hector, do the right thing. Give me back my Super WildCard DX. It's the only way to end this madness. It's the only way to save our friendship. It's the only way to restore your reputation. It's the only way to make me happy. And, most importantly, it's the only way to play Super Nintendo games legally. 😜​ still have my Super WildCard DX

Hector, Hector, you are a wrecker
                    You took my device and made me suffer
                    You think you are smart and clever
                    But you are just a liar and a deceiver
                    You better give me back my Super WildCard DX
                    Or else you will face the consequences​

Comment

Working...
                    X