Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even Though It's Currently Slow, The Mesa NVIDIA "NVK" Vulkan Driver Has Been Making Good Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
    I keep forgetting that NVIDIA is a multi billion dollar company with how bad their Linux support is
    You keep forgetting that NVIDIA doesn't owe Linux or you anything. And before you start being all righteous and loud, answer these questions:
    • Have you paid NVIDIA to support Linux with Open Source drivers?
    • Doesn't NVIDIA already have a fully functional driver for Linux which works near perfectly (sans some Wayland growing pains but Wayland itself is far from production ready outside Gnome)?
    • What's so special about you choosing and running Linux? What about poor OpenBSD/NetBSD/FreeBSD sods? Aren't they entitled to get open source drivers as well?
    • Why are you complaining about NVIDIA when God bestowed AMD and Intel GPUs exist? (Open source fans believe their drivers are perfect which cannot be further from the truth but let's not even talk about that).
    • What's the percentage of Linux on the desktop and why would the company support such an obscure OS? What's the benefit for them in supporting desktop Linux?
    • What's the percentage of Linux gamers among all PC gamers? I'll tell you a secret: less than 0.1% of gamers run Linux and NVIDIA.
    Have a nice day!
    Last edited by avis; 20 October 2023, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

And yet, here you are, acting all offended and rabid because someone does not worship ngreedia like you do.

Give it a rest, Dear Leader Jensen is pleased with your show of loyalty to him and his anti FOSS company.
      I really don’t understand how you somehow believe that me saying NVK is a good projecting = “worshiping” Nvidia. It’s just insane post after insane post from you.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        You keep forgetting that NVIDIA doesn't owe Linux or you anything
        That's just silly nonsense and beneath your formidable trolling abilities. nVidia has made enormous amounts of money from a wide variety of uses that involve GNU/Linux. They don't owe anything just like any mega-corp doesn't owe anything to its key customer bases. Legally true, but very bad business-wise.

Troll better, put some actual thought into it rather than just spamming nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Is there any reason that we can't make a multi-driver vulkan implementation similar to how Mesa was a multi-driver OpenGL implementation? Could the AMD Vulkan implementation not be used for the Nvidia open source driver as well? From what I remember, Vulkan is on the same level as Gallium was, but Gallium was also multi-driver capable with both Intel and AMD using it.
          Mesa isn’t just OpenGL, it also implements the Vulkan API and various others including OpenCL and even VA-API. All of these open source Vulkan drivers (NVK, ANV, AMDVLK) are written on top of Mesa, just like all the OpenGL drivers were (Nouveau, i965, RadeonSI). Gallium is just an API designed to make writing drivers in Mesa easier.
          Last edited by mxan; 20 October 2023, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Waste of resources....

Trillion dollars company can take care of this if they wanted to, but nooo, lets do it for them and for free....
            What are you talking about?
            Nvidia support linux driver from day 1 of each product release. Compare with main competitor who had forgot to release correct firmware for radeon 5700 when these cards hit shelves and have kept RT for 6x00 in beta for almost 2 years within their own driver.
            It is absurd when 3rd party companies are developing driver for radeons and still foss morons praise your "linux support"

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Is there any reason that we can't make a multi-driver vulkan implementation similar to how Mesa was a multi-driver OpenGL implementation? Could the AMD Vulkan implementation not be used for the Nvidia open source driver as well? From what I remember, Vulkan is on the same level as Gallium was, but Gallium was also multi-driver capable with both Intel and AMD using it.
              I think that is already happening, in the sense that Mesa Vulkan already has (or at least had; I haven't looked recently) some code commonality between AMD and Intel (RADV and ANV), and I imagine that the NVidia implementation does the same.

The challenge is that Vulkan is a pretty low-level API, and so opportunities for code sharing are arguably less than with other APIs like OpenGL. It was the code above the Gallium3D interfaces that was shared, not the Gallium3D pipe and winsys drivers. With OpenGL a big percentage of the API code is above those interfaces and heavily shared, but with Vulkan the iceberg sits a lot lower in the water.
              Last edited by bridgman; 20 October 2023, 02:46 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

And yet, here you are, acting all offended and rabid because someone does not worship ngreedia like you do.

Give it a rest, Dear Leader Jensen is pleased with your show of loyalty to him and his anti FOSS company.
                The only worshipper here is you. You must be in love with Lisa Su or something given how hard you simp for AMD here on a daily basis. I promise you buddy, no amount of cringy anti nvidia posts will make her answer your emails. Just give it up

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You keep forgetting that NVIDIA doesn't owe Linux or you anything. And before you start being all righteous and loud, answer these questions:
                  • Have you paid NVIDIA to support Linux with Open Source drivers?
                  • Doesn't NVIDIA already have a fully functional driver for Linux which works near perfectly (sans some Wayland growing pains but Wayland itself is far from production ready outside Gnome)?
                  • What's so special about you choosing and running Linux? What about poor OpenBSD/NetBSD/FreeBSD sods? Aren't they entitled to get open source drivers as well?
                  • Why are you complaining about NVIDIA when God bestowed AMD and Intel GPUs exist? (Open source fans believe their drivers are perfect which cannot be further from the truth but let's not even talk about that).
                  • What's the percentage of Linux on the desktop and why would the company support such an obscure OS? What's the benefit for them in supporting desktop Linux?
                  • What's the percentage of Linux gamers among all PC gamers? I'll tell you a secret: less than 0.1% of gamers run Linux and NVIDIA.
                  Have a nice day!
                  I love it when people go out of their way to defend for-profit-companies

I switched my RTX 3080 Ti against a 6800 XT since I was done with coping

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

I love it when people go out of their way to defend for-profit-companies

I switched my RTX 3080 Ti against a 6800 XT since I was done with coping
                    I love when open source fans when they have zero arguments, get personal. Every ducking time.

I did not defend Nvidia. I have zero Nvidia shares. They are a for profit corporation that employs very talented engineers whose time is very expensive.

They can't afford to serve your needs just because you feel entitled having chosen one of many open source operating systems.

Please answer my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                      What are you talking about?
                      Nvidia support linux driver from day 1 of each product release.
                      via closed sourced software. I guess that you forgot where you are posting and which subject?

Comment

Working...
                      X