Experimental Zink Patches Get OpenGL 4.6 Running Atop Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ok, it could make sense for mobile. I don't see OpenGL going away from the desktop for at least another decade.
    If they make these wrappers, it's to keep OpenGL and maintain it easy, no to remove it from the system.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

If they make these wrappers, it's to keep OpenGL and maintain it easy, no to remove it from the system.
      I meant it's not going away from the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
        wonder if this will help The Dark Mod long-term, as they're showing now sign of moving over to the Doom3 engine fork that has vulkan support?
        I don't think Zink makes much of a difference for applications that are moving to Vulkan (at least, I don't see any reasons for that).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

I don't think Zink makes much of a difference for applications that are moving to Vulkan (at least, I don't see any reasons for that).
          Zink is irrelevant for any app that natively uses Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I meant it's not going away from the drivers.
            Yeah, NVidia, AMD, and Intel are all going to support GL natively for a long time on the desktop.

I can see how it could be useful for mobile/ARM gpus. Mostly with the GLES support, but some basic GL support is always nice too.

Comment

Games with older future level support might benefit if "async present" will be used. CSGO for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

my fault for typing replies on a phone with terrible autocorrect - should read "showing [no] sign".

so i think Zink may help here.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Yeah, NVidia, AMD, and Intel are all going to support GL natively for a long time on the desktop.

I can see how it could be useful for mobile/ARM gpus. Mostly with the GLES support, but some basic GL support is always nice too.
                  Even on mobile, what's the use case? Playing really old games that aren't ported to Vulkan?

Comment

Last time I rad about Zink the performance was really bad. Nice project but unless the overhead goes down to 3-5% it won't be practical. I would be interested to see benchmarks between this and a more direct approach like the Google Angle.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                      Last time I rad about Zink the performance was really bad. Nice project but unless the overhead goes down to 3-5% it won't be practical. I would be interested to see benchmarks between this and a more direct approach like the Google Angle.
                      Many old games can still run fine with an overhead of 30-50%, especially if our target is Apple hardware that will be released in 1-3 years from now

Comment

Working...
                      X