Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Zink Patches Get OpenGL 4.6 Running Atop Vulkan

Phoronix: Experimental Zink Patches Get OpenGL 4.6 Running Atop Vulkan

When the Zink Gallium3D driver running OpenGL over Vulkan was first introduced in 2018 and since one of the main blockers besides the performance overhead has been the limited OpenGL 2/3 support. The GL3/GL4 support has been improving with time for Zink and when making use of the latest out-of-tree patches is even possible to get OpenGL 4.6 running over Vulkan with Zink!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic work. Will be interesting to see what is possible in terms of optimization from this point.

Comment

Obviously at this stage, it is more about compatibility than performance. But is the ultimate goal of this to make future devices not need OpenGL drivers for compatibility and future proofing, or to make OpenGL run faster somehow.

Or neither, and this is purely a proof of concept thought experiment and I've completely missed the point.

Comment

Wow, fantastic work :-) I didn't expect to see OpenGL 4.6 so soon in Zink! I will try to get this up and running in the next days.

Comment

Cool, but is it meant to work only with people using mesa drivers ?

Comment

What's this for? Is there any hardware out there that has Vulkan support, but no OpenGL?
            It could be useful if you hit a bug in the driver's OpenGL implementation, but other than that, Idk what I'd use this for.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              What's this for? Is there any hardware out there that has Vulkan support, but no OpenGL?
              It could be useful if you hit a bug in the driver's OpenGL implementation, but other than that, Idk what I'd use this for.
              It's for having in the future, only a few simple Vulkan drivers to focus on, and manage OpenGL through a wrapper instead of multiple complex drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                As far a I know they're doing this because in the future devs could just make a Vulkan driver and not bother with OpenGL at all.

Google is already doing something similar:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux Hardware, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, GNU/Linux benchmarks, Open Source AMD, Linux How To, X.Org drivers, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post

As far a I know they're doing this because in the future devs could just make a Vulkan driver and not bother with OpenGL at all.

Google is already doing something similar:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Beta-3-Vulkan
                  Ok, it could make sense for mobile. I don't see OpenGL going away from the desktop for at least another decade.

Comment

wonder if this will help The Dark Mod long-term, as they're showing [no] sign of moving over to the Doom3 engine fork that has vulkan support?

[edited - from "now" to "no"]
                    Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 25 August 2020, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X