Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFC Patches Posted For Rust-Written NVIDIA "Nova" GPU Driver

Phoronix: RFC Patches Posted For Rust-Written NVIDIA "Nova" GPU Driver

Red Hat engineers have been developing Nova as a new, Rust-written open-source NVIDIA kernel graphics driver as the eventual successor to the Nouveau kernel driver and is designed around NVIDIA's GPU System Processor (GSP) thus making the driver relevant for RTX 20 / Turing GPUs and newer. Today they posted a request for comments (RFC) patch series of the Nova driver and Rust DRM abstractions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by avis
    The driver lives here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/n...s/gpu/drm/nova
    I asked NVIDIA a couple of questions about their future direction, might be an interesting read, although not for Michael:
    Everybody knows but you never demonstrated that directly that you are indeed birdie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Everybody knows but you never demonstrated that directly that you are indeed birdie.
      Noticed that too. Oops...?

Comment

Originally posted by avis
        Looks like the immense amount of work I've done for Linux and the information I've provided here are the least important things. Yeah, let's stick to discussing me personally. You've forgotten a couple of insults for good measure. That's just disgusting. Over and out.
        You also do a lot of harm to linux with your pointless rants. Let me guess: We shouldn't discuss that either.

Comment

A small kinda interview with NVIDIA about their future direction:

@aplattner @aritger @ekurzinger AFAIK your open source driver lacked some features that the proprietary driver had, is this still the case? Have they reached feature parity? Where should bugs be reported? Github or here? The open driver is not meant to be mainlined, are you eventually going to support nouveau/NVK? Can nouveau support your closed user space including CUDA, AI, RT/PT, DLSS, Optix, etc.? Will you add this support? Will various monitoring/configuration features (nvapi/nvidia-smi)...

Comment

A lot of this seems to have been written by Asahi Lina (who also wrote the Apple M1 graphic driver). So I guess this support code will be developed with both drivers in mind. Cool

Comment

It seems to be a fun hobby project as Asahi stuff. Also, a good starting point for Rust in Linux kernel.

Other than that, not practical to use. AMD GPUs are the only usable on Linux, except if you are into GPGPU stuff (ROCm and friends still sucks!).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                It seems to be a fun hobby project as Asahi stuff. Also, a good starting point for Rust in Linux kernel.

Other than that, not practical to use. AMD GPUs are the only usable on Linux, except if you are into GPGPU stuff (ROCm and friends still sucks!).
                Isn't Intel GPU's usable, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Fior those not knowing Latin language: Avis means Bird....

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

IMO Nvidia is far more usable then AMD is. and so is intel, Havent had any driver shenanigans that take down my entire PC with intel or nvidia​

Originally posted by and.elf View Post

Isn't Intel GPU's usable, too?
                    yup, the mesa drivers still have some issues, for instance ghosts of tsushima gives me a black screen and causes driver hangs until it's closed, but all in all it's been extremely reliable, far more so then AMD

Comment

Working...
                    X