NVIDIA Pushes 62MB Of GSP Binary Firmware Blobs Into Linux-Firmware.Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabicat View Post
    I think you mean "Linux" instead of "Windows" here. The Nvidia open source driver is just a rebuild of the proprietary driver, with Windows stuff and a few other things stripped out.

/*
    * This is not the fastest implementation, but it is pretty compact.
    * The fastest versions of xz_crc32() on modern CPUs without hardware
    * accelerated CRC instruction are 3-5 times as fast as this version,
    * but they are bigger and use more memory for the lookup table.
    */​
    Yes there are a lot pieces that should be stripped out that are still there as well. For the complete time that Nvidia has existed as company all Unix, BSD and Linux kernels have provided crc32 function that faster than this one.

Yes a lot of using of public domain code that has no valid reason to be there other than attempting to avoid license taint of closed source code or not spending the time to correctly support the platforms.

Yes as you go around the unix directory of the Nvidia open source module you find more and more problems like this one. Yes these problems would make the Nvidia provided open source driver not merge-able into upstream Linux kernel.

tabicat once you take the time to look behind the curtain as Nvida now allows the Nvidia closed source module is not in that good of shape really. Has very poor integration with Unix/Linux platforms with a lot of NIH problems caused by developing to support having a closed source blob. Then you have that Nvidia has never spent the time to develop a stable ABI for their driver from kernel space to user space on Unix/Linux/bsd platforms.

Interesting point right that lot of the fastest implementations of stuff turn out not to be under public domain licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      tabicat once you take the time to look behind the curtain as Nvida now allows the Nvidia closed source module is not in that good of shape really.
      Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        you can also see this in the news when AMD did abolish the AMDVLK driver for Polaris and Vega people become angry and have negative feelings even people who did never use AMDVLK they always use RADV instead but they do not know the different and believe they are not affected because AMD did abolish the opensource driver.

this is all nonsense... honestly and we have this kind of noise for many years now.
        The negativity may be irrelevant to Linux users. But the retirement is causing real annoyance to Windows users.

​​​​20231113.gif
        Last edited by billyswong; 13 November 2023, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
          the idea that it doesn't effect anyone is simply a lie. AMDVLK is something that as I have said, I personally need for a few features. amd added the AMD_VULKAN_ICD= variable for a reason

Comment

One of the more reason, and now I will have fun multiple, why I left ATI and went to Nvidia is the length of card support. Ati just told me about 2 years after buying a card that it no longer supports the card (ATI X1300). And for this reason he was also unaccepted desktop on other Windows. Then ATI ate AMD.
            While on Linux it might be handled by the OSS drivers, it is useless on Windows.

Also at that time, NVIDIA had more stable drivers with a less bugs. Then.​

Surely you do not want to look like a stupid in front of someone who buys a GPU card at your impulse and then discarded support.​

Or is it already different at AMD?​

Unsupported, release date 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_(microarchitecture)
            Nvidia Kepler, release date 2012
            support security fixes until 2024/September

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwel...roarchitecture)
            Maxwell, release date 2014
            fully supported

Fermi, release date 2010, unsupported

Nvidia other series

So, ...
            Where Nvidia still has support for several years, AMD will show you the middle finger.​
            Last edited by Rovano; 13 November 2023, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Rovano it is worse this time. AMD is selling brand new laptops with Vega integrated graphics not 2 years ago, not 1 year ago, but *this year*. Go check out Ryzen 7 7730U. It is a 2023 product.

Comment

Rovano it is worse this time. AMD is selling brand new laptops with Vega integrated graphics not 2 years ago, not 1 year ago, but *this year*. Go check out Ryzen 7 7730U. It is a 2023 product.
                I didn't pay much time. I have a job right now. That's a joke. Joke? It has a date 1.4. But I do not know in what format the date is, so hard to say. However, they have recently released new drivers. What is it?​

Comment

this is hilarious, wtf amd.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                    Surely you do not want to look like a stupid in front of someone who buys a GPU card at your impulse and then discarded support.​

Nvidia Kepler, release date 2012
                    support security fixes until 2024/September

Maxwell, release date 2014
                    fully supported

Fermi, release date 2010, unsupported

Nvidia other series

So, ...
                    Where Nvidia still has support for several years, AMD will show you the middle finger.​
                    All closed source drivers stop being supported at some point.
                    Maxwell and Pascal architecture GPUs are still capable of handling modern gaming, computing, encoding, decoding, etc workloads. Is there no way support could be extended to these GPUs? If not, what...

Maxwell is not in fact fully supported. This is where things get tricky.

The reality is Maxwell is outlier normal Nvidia retirement process of driver support would have seen Maxwell already as legacy driver. Nvidia has already started the Maxwell retirement process just they have not put it in normal press releases.

The general rule here is when you buy Intel. AMD or Nvidia GPU you get 5 years of full support from the maker. This full support well have the maker attempting to make the card support as much of the current versions of Vulkan/Opengl/direct x and operating systems as possible with the hardware after 5 years all bets are off.

AMD retirement process does include no new OS support for the cards with their drivers,

Maxwell is a particular level of problem child yes Nvidia has given open source driver developers firmware to fire up maxwell problem is this firmware locks the maxwell clocks to fail safe so you cannot make a driver with any form of decent performance. Heck some maxwell cards are not even stable running at so call Nvidia failsafe clocks.

Yes its a big thing users are not willing to invest in paying for GPU driver development to keep on going for Windows. We do see users willing to pay for driver development on Linux well after the maker has given up on the card but of course the maker has to provide the firmware and other parts at card retirement to make that possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

All closed source drivers stop being supported at some point.
                      Maxwell and Pascal architecture GPUs are still capable of handling modern gaming, computing, encoding, decoding, etc workloads. Is there no way support could be extended to these GPUs? If not, what...

Maxwell is not in fact fully supported. This is where things get tricky.

The reality is Maxwell is outlier normal Nvidia retirement process of driver support would have seen Maxwell already as legacy driver. Nvidia has already started the Maxwell retirement process just they have not put it in normal press releases.

The general rule here is when you buy Intel. AMD or Nvidia GPU you get 5 years of full support from the maker. This full support well have the maker attempting to make the card support as much of the current versions of Vulkan/Opengl/direct x and operating systems as possible with the hardware after 5 years all bets are off.

AMD retirement process does include no new OS support for the cards with their drivers,

Maxwell is a particular level of problem child yes Nvidia has given open source driver developers firmware to fire up maxwell problem is this firmware locks the maxwell clocks to fail safe so you cannot make a driver with any form of decent performance. Heck some maxwell cards are not even stable running at so call Nvidia failsafe clocks.

Yes its a big thing users are not willing to invest in paying for GPU driver development to keep on going for Windows. We do see users willing to pay for driver development on Linux well after the maker has given up on the card but of course the maker has to provide the firmware and other parts at card retirement to make that possible.
                      Yes. We also encountered that the Maxwel series, minimally the first one is/was problematic. But maybe they solved it. I have no problem with her on Windows or Linux.​
                      New drivers? No problemo. Nvidia support it.

But I'm going to be a reference to the thread. At least I know I shouldn't use open source part of the driver. Although I tried and worked in the summer. I didn't notice the difference.​
                      Last edited by Rovano; 14 November 2023, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X