Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sophisticles
    replied
    My comments regarding the Nouveau driver are related to the abysmal performance of Nouveau compared to the proprietary driver, as well as the inability to use CUDA with Nouveau and the lack of support for NVENC when using Nouveau.

As i have stated numerous times in my comments regarding Asahi Linux, I consider it absurd to buy hardware that has certain features and then use OSes and/or drivers that do not allow you to make full use of the hardware you paid for.

I don't care if it's Nvidia, Apple, Intel, AMD, or anyone else, if I pay for a piece of hardware i expect to be able to make full use of its capabilities, not be hamstrung by some ridiculous ideology that expects people to give away their software for free.

Just because some people and companies want to release the software they write as open source does not mean that everyone is obligated to do so.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 20 September 2023, 12:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
    I haven't heard good things about Nvidia's official Wayland drivers, and Wayland is the future of Desktop Linux.
    Something that can't even query absolute window positions for your hotkeys/macros can't be the future of anything, except of masochists.

So, keep suffering.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post
    But can it run Wayland?
    I hope not, because it sucks (Crapland, not Nvidia).

Leave a comment:

• fitzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

True, but on the other hand, it is all about an ecosystem, and even if there is only a minority using NVidia on the linux desktop, a good support here is important for the image of that ecosystem. It gives a bad impression to "multiplicative people", when there e.g. still is no proper support for wayland. Even if it is not mission critical to them.

Compared to the cash nvidia generates, they could provide first class linux drivers for an amount of cash that wouldn't even be noticeable in the annual reports. Not at all. But they would gain a lot of prestige by important people. Think about that gossip like "Well, this guy in IT dep, he actually uses linux on desktop - such a nerd! - he says nVidia is awesome, they have an excellent driver support!" You can't buy this prestige cheaper but by providing good drivers.
    You're right, but I'm talking about the incentives. Even amd didn't get fully involved in the opensource driver until it was commercially beneficial for them. This why even now AMD rocm effort is kinda a joke, even though it's very much a chicken and egg scenario. NVidia could drop a few million/yr into opensource driver development without it effecting their bottem line, and even if they are convinced that it is the future, there just is not any business justification right now, because it's entirely duplicative work without the guarantee of a payoff. Companies rarely invest in such things. Only after it's certain that the open source driver will be superior will nvidia get involved.

Even IBM didn't get involved in Linux until they saw plenty of companies making money on Linux, long after it was clear it was going to win the server war. I just think Linux people doesn't see that for however dominant linux is, the model for hardware firmware/drivers is still very much closed by default. Any nvidia will not do anything that allows other companies to add cuda compatibility, which I suspect will be the way nvidia will knocked off their perch.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I wonder why RedHat would burn money on something like this when nVidia itself has done nothing but crap all over libre software efforts over the years.

Strange. Anyway, hat tip to Ben, he's quite a trooper.
    Maybe they have the same fanatics that we have here, kissing Dear Leader Jensen's ass, instead of giving him the middle finger and buying AMD, which does care for open source.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    This is a cautionary tale to buy hardware that officially supports the OS you want.
    Why?

The stuff that worked yesterday will continue to work tomorrow.

Stuff that didnt work yesterday or had issues may have less issues or might start to work tomorrow. In fact with the code drop earlier in the day, they are already in a better state than they were!

I get avoiding nvidia. I have never advocated them for decades now and wish intel/AMD all the best in destroying them, but this news article has no relevance to such things.

Leave a comment:

• NSLW
    replied
    He was a paid employee. He developed nouveau for a living. Any idea if RedHat plans to replace him with another employee?

Leave a comment:

• kurkosdr
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    I bought many PCs with Nvidia GPUs and used "Desktop Linux" on them with zero issues. What was I thinking? That I want a hassle free experience, and the official Nvidia drivers provide that.

I also have zero issues with AI stuff like Stable Diffusion running on my GPU on Linux.

You?
    I haven't heard good things about Nvidia's official Wayland drivers, and Wayland is the future of Desktop Linux.

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    I bought many PCs with Nvidia GPUs and used "Desktop Linux" on them with zero issues. What was I thinking? That I want a hassle free experience, and the official Nvidia drivers provide that.

I also have zero issues with AI stuff like Stable Diffusion running on my GPU on Linux.

You?
    But can it run Wayland?

Just to add: SD also runs well on my Nvidia dGPU, but desktops run on the AMD iGPU. So for me the best of both worlds, especially as I can disable and de-power the Nvidia GPU when not in use (AI, games) and the desktop stays functional and at a very low power usage on AMD (the Nvidia card has very bad idle power usage even with their special souce binary driver if not de-powered completely, glad that works)

The Nvidia card is a good co-processor card but nothing I would rely my system on. If the dGPU would be a beefy AMD, I would be even happier.
    Last edited by reba; 19 September 2023, 12:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gripped
    replied
    This is a cautionary tale to buy hardware that officially supports the OS you want.

If you already have a PC that you run Windows on and you are trying out Desktop Linux, I guess having some Desktop Linux drivers available is a good thing, but you see people buying PCs with Nvidia GPUs or Apple Silicon Macbooks to run "Desktop Linux" and you can't help but think "What were they thinking?".

Don't buy expensive hardware because you think some person writing third-party drivers in their free time will keep doing so.
    What a load of flannel.

There is an official Nvidia Linux driver. May not be in the format many want but it exists and has for a long time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X