Samuel Pitoiset Takes To More RadeonSI/Mesa Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    S3TC, for example, should offer some substantial improvements as soon as that patent goes away.
    s3tc is already available in mesa

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I hope sometime in the future they can expand on freesync support so it works with ANY game with or without vsync enabled. (atm it appears to be limited to select titles with vsync enabled, which hurts performance). Its better to have vsync off sometimes, a fps limiter is MUCH preferred for latency purposes (and no overhead).
      With FreeSync, sync-to-vblank on or off should only make a difference while the game framerate is outside of the refresh rate range supported by the monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        I think he was insinuating it's used in suboptimal way currently, not that it wouldn't exist and work

Comment

I think it is advertised by some of the drivers even in the absence of libtxc_dxtn. But they do not have full S3TC functionality without that library.

Comment

Sort of... Read the first sentence:

Comment

I read this interesting article: "Callaway (Tom) revealed that he has a desktop calendar full of patent expiry dates: some mornings he wakes up, the calendar goes "bing!", and he spends the day putting something into Fedora that could not previously have shipped. The patent on S3 texture compression expires on October 2, 2017, so Steam games might work better on Fedora after that date."

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Sort of... Read the first sentence:
                https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC/
                i don't need to read it, i have installed mesa s3tc support for many years

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  The patent on S3 texture compression expires on October 2, 2017, so Steam games might work better on Fedora after that date."
                  it already works on fefora for me

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I think he was insinuating it's used in suboptimal way currently
                    no, he was insinuating that you have to install package from rpmfusion

Comment

Working...
                    X