AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by renebarbosa View Post
    Someone got it working with Radeon R7 M265?
    I've installed but can't access my user session as lightdm is always going back to the login screen.

In Xorg.log i've found:
    [ 46.106] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so: undefined symbol: is64bitelf) [ 46.106] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering [ 46.118] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: is64bitelf) [ 46.118] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer Not sure about how to fix it.
    bridgman Any insight on this? I'm facing the same issue, though my situation is a little different -- I have a laptop with integrated Intel graphics, and a shiny new RX480 in an external dock.

I face the above error, and am spat out back to the login screen, both when docked and undocked, when using Unity. Using a non-compositing WM allows me to login, but eg. glxgears will not run.

I suspect that the xorg server (or another component) provided by AMD is incompatible with the i915 driver.

I've tried with both the 4.40 default kernel, and the 4.8.0 that is available.

I must say that, personally for me, this is a big disappointment. I've spent hundreds on AMD hardware in the past, and every time I've regretted it. Every time I'm tempted back by talk of a better Linux experience, but the results prove otherwise. I'm seriously considering returning this RX480.

Comment

• Do you have a display connected to the RX 480 or are you trying to display on the laptop screen ?

Mixed-vendor setups (especially ones where you render on one GPU and display on another) are always more of a pain to get working than single GPU setups. I don't believe the AMDGPU-PRO driver in its current form is intended to figure out whatever multi-vendor HW combination you have and automatically set everything up properly (nor is anyone else's driver AFAIK).

Personally I would start with a fresh install using the all-open drivers then go through the PRIME setup steps, report on what happens there, and someone should be able to help troubleshoot that pretty quickly.

Once you have things working with the all-open drivers then try the hybrid stack if you still need it.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Do you have a display connected to the RX 480 or are you trying to display on the laptop screen ?

Mixed-vendor setups (especially ones where you render on one GPU and display on another) are always more of a pain to get working than single GPU setups. I don't believe the AMDGPU-PRO driver in its current form is intended to figure out whatever multi-vendor HW combination you have and automatically set everything up properly (nor is anyone else's driver AFAIK).

Personally I would start with a fresh install using the all-open drivers then go through the PRIME setup steps, report on what happens there, and someone should be able to help troubleshoot that pretty quickly.

Once you have things working with the all-open drivers then try the hybrid stack if you still need it.
        Thanks for the reply. I've actually managed to get it working, simply by installing the px packages. Using the laptop both docked (with a screen connected, yes, at 4K ) and undocked now works.

I had to set the PX mode to 'performance' to get acceptable UI performance from the RX 480. It's still not where I think it should be, though -- well under 20fps in Unigine Heaven @ 1080p.

I'll do some more testing with the internal screen disabled through X and/or driver blacklisting, when I have time. But it's looking promising so far. And OpenCL performance is not terrible either

Comment

• Hello,

Can somebody tell what is the situation with the support of AMD Firepro W5130M and other cards from this release (if I am not mistaken there should be 3 models)? I can;t seem to find much info about these cards. Is the Firepro W5130M supported yet? As I understand it is 2015 card built on top of old Cape Verde architecture. It looks like my next laptop might come with this card or a greater model from this release of Firepro graphics and am curious if it is a safe buy? I would need to work on Video editing mostly on Ubuntu 16.04 based system.
          I would also like to know in hybrid graphics cards like Intel + AMD how is the HDMI and other ports are wired, are they directly connected to the AMD GPU or Intel GPU?
          Thank you for your time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
            Hello,

Can somebody tell what is the situation with the support of AMD Firepro W5130M and other cards from this release
            Afaik, the only way to have (currently) full support for mobile FirePros is to fall back to fglrx on Ubuntu 14.04 (there are sligthly different drivers on AMD's site, depending on the laptop vendor and particular card, but they are all based on fglrx). Apparently, the W5130M and W5170M seem to be derived from the R9 M275X, which has no current support with AMDGPU-PRO. So the only way to have "kind of" support on Ubuntu-16.04 would be through the Radeon openource drivers, which however could produce (very) mixed results on hybrid graphics systems.

Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
            I would also like to know in hybrid graphics cards like Intel + AMD how is the HDMI and other ports are wired, are they directly connected to the AMD GPU or Intel GPU?
            Thank you for your time!
            I am not 100% sure, but apparently on my laptop (FirePro m4150+Intel HD 5500) both the VGA and the DP outputs (I don't have HDMI ports) are physically connected only to the Intel GPU (when the FirePro gpu is active, it does the rendering but the ouptut is always displayed through the Intel GPU).

Comment

• Thank you very much for your replies vkrastev and debianxfce!
              It is a pity to know the card might not be supported yet. If I didn;t need a laptop due to the profile of my activities I would go with a desktop. Well anyway, lots of stuff to think about and eventually things will conclude in something.

Good to know that FirePro m4150 + Intel HD5500 has ports wired through Intel GPU, on my current laptop ports are directly wired to Nvidia card which doesn't make the best setup, AMD + Intel in this case looks to have a better way of doing things.
              Thank you very much for your time and advice!

Comment

• Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Hello bridgman,

Thank you for replying to my post. I realize I was a bit harsh, this is because I've been a Debian user since 2000, and having to switch to Ubuntu 16.04 with the upgrade of my graphics card was disheartening (as you mention, I need OpenCL). Since then people have published hacks to get OpenCL on Debian too, but I'd rather stick with the officially supported option - and I already jumped ship anyway. Having OpenCL and possibly Vulkan open-sourced would be enough to let go of the closed source driver.

Also the patch in question is here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...pu-pro-success

However please don't use it as-is, it is very much a hack. Ideally a port of wattman on Linux would be the best. I've had good results with wattman on Windows.

Regarding the tear-free option, I haven't tried the open-source driver so far. I'll consider doing so and report the result here.
                I have good news, the -PRO version does indeed support tear free, although it was not trivial to enable. On my distribution (Ubuntu 16.04), I had to create a file named /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-tearfree.conf and containing
                Code:
                Section "Device"
                Identifier  "Card0"
                Driver      "amdgpu"
                BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
                Option      "DRI3" "1"
                Option "TearFree" "on"
                EndSection
                Thanks again to bridgman for his help in this matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You have the same option in the open source driver too: Use the command man amdgpu to see them all. In Xfce I use the desktop compositor to prevent window tearing.
                  I'm not sure I get it. Are you saying there's a command line utility in amdgpu-pro that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Working...
                  X