AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Otus View Post
    Hmm... is this not supposed to work with 4.8? I've been running 16.50 and 4.8 for a few weeks and everything has seemed to work.
    AFAIK no, it's not supposed to work (specifically the kernel driver DKMS packages are not expected to build with 4.8 or higher). Most likely explanation is that the kernel driver install failed but the userspace drivers mostly work with the upstream kernel driver (that would come with the 4.8 kernel) anyways. Which GPU are you running ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK no, it's not supposed to work (specifically the kernel driver DKMS packages are not expected to build with 4.8 or higher). Most likely explanation is that the kernel driver install failed but the userspace drivers mostly work with the upstream kernel driver (that would come with the 4.8 kernel) anyways. Which GPU are you running ?
      Ok, that's probably it. I have an RX 480.

I reran the 16.50 installer and indeed it says that the DKMS build fails. It writes a lot into the console after that so I didn't notice the first time. And the driver still ran.

With the 16.60 installer it doesn't say it fails. And there's an amdgpu.ko in /lib/modules/4.8[...]/dkms. So probably it does actually work with 4.8?

Comment

Initial focus for the -PRO driver is on the FirePRO cards (what you would call high end) - most of those are based on Oland/Hainan, Cape Verde & Pitcairn. The consumer 7700/7800 support sequence follows from the FirePRO priorities AFAIK.

You would buy a high-end AMD consumer card again because the open source drivers we work on for consumer users have had good support for 79xx for quite a while, and are typically outperforming the -PRO drivers for games already.
        I beg to differ. Why you think I'm still stuck with a deprecated fglrx driver? Because 79xx still doesn't work properly anywhere else!!!

Comment

As a general guideline, the open source stack is the Catalyst replacement for consumer users (giving it even wider distro support) while AMDGPU-PRO is the Catalyst replacement for workstation users. It's a bit blurred right now because OpenCL and Vulkan are only "officially" available with the -PRO driver, but we are working on that.

Is there some other aspect that makes you want to stay with the closed-source drivers going forward ?

Is lack of tear-free desktop for video also an issue with the all-open stack ?

Will look for the patch you mentioned.
          Hello bridgman,

Thank you for replying to my post. I realize I was a bit harsh, this is because I've been a Debian user since 2000, and having to switch to Ubuntu 16.04 with the upgrade of my graphics card was disheartening (as you mention, I need OpenCL). Since then people have published hacks to get OpenCL on Debian too, but I'd rather stick with the officially supported option - and I already jumped ship anyway. Having OpenCL and possibly Vulkan open-sourced would be enough to let go of the closed source driver.

Also the patch in question is here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...pu-pro-success

However please don't use it as-is, it is very much a hack. Ideally a port of wattman on Linux would be the best. I've had good results with wattman on Windows.

Regarding the tear-free option, I haven't tried the open-source driver so far. I'll consider doing so and report the result here.

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "all mixed". I'm talking about opening up the Vulkan and OpenCL components, which would result in the same configuration Pontostroy described - but you would no longer call it "mixed" because all of the code was open source.

Make sense ?
            No it does not make sense, people who like to test that should do that once it is opened up and general public should use that once it is ready for general public, so once you have releases with it - that sounds normal to me It is all-mixed also from POV as we are trolling users who wanna use amdgpu-pro here I will continue to call it properly as all-mixed or even as all-wrong (in case somebody is particulary in doubt about that) to whoever trying to do these mixes, as it sounds like very proper etiquette for that.

This user installed this, dkms build seems to work against 4.8 as i expected so pre-hwe switch mission seems accomplished

Originally posted by Otus View Post
            With the 16.60 installer it doesn't say it fails. And there's an amdgpu.ko in /lib/modules/4.8[...]/dkms. So probably it does actually work with 4.8?
            Sounds working, but you might check dmesg, xorg logs, glxinfo outputs if you want to be sure.
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 January 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              I beg to differ. Why you think I'm still stuck with a deprecated fglrx driver? Because 79xx still doesn't work properly anywhere else!!!
              When you say "79xx still doesn't work properly anywhere else", what do you feel you are missing with the current open source stack ? The usual answer is "OpenCL" and we're working on that... in most other respects my impression is that the open stack has largely caught up with fglrx for consumer use.
              Test signature

Comment

When you say "79xx still doesn't work properly anywhere else", what do you feel you are missing with the current open source stack ? The usual answer is "OpenCL" and we're working on that... in most other respects my impression is that the open stack has largely caught up with fglrx for consumer use.
                Usually, when people say something does not work properly that indicate how they hit some bugs with new driver... which does not exist on older. Which in turn means, you still have regressions unsolved so seemless upgrade from fglrx to new driver is not possible to somebody

Just read things from user perpective using slightly incorrect but common user vocabular... there regression means whatever regressed in user space by trying to swtiching to something... it can be even regression when somoene go from old geforce card to shinny new radeon card and is negatively impressed by low performance on new card because of shitty drivers

Developers has hard time understanding users, opposite is true too

And when someone read what is claimed as supported on AMD site, he see his card is missing there so not supported for a whole bloody year+ so he still use fglrx from year ago - all feelings go into direction that support was dropped year ago and that is sort of fact when things does not work with new driver

But he won't switch as crazy debianxfce will apear with links to compile something unreleased and it might be that still does not work... other will recommend mixeges which might not work too Then people has ALL HUMAN RIGHTS to call this shit even total disaster

Meanwhile developers think everything is fine, but nope things are crazy

And again whoever write these AMD pages can continue to lick his ass
                Last edited by dungeon; 28 January 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  But he won't switch as crazy debianxfce will apear with links to compile something unreleased and it might be that still does not work... other will recommend mixeges which might not work too Then people has ALL HUMAN RIGHTS to call this shit even total disaster

I'm amazed at how much bridgman has been patient with you. I agree AMDGPU-PRO has issues, but your negative attitude (and the use of curse words, "shit") won't be of any help to convince developers who I'm sure have a lot on their plate already.

Also consider dropping the smileys. They make you look like a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post

I'm amazed at how much bridgman has been patient with you. I agree AMDGPU-PRO has issues, but your negative attitude (and the use of curse words, "shit") won't be of any help to convince developers who I'm sure have a lot on their plate already.
                    We are talking about drivers, not about personal things... I know not every people react the same, even Linus Torvalds use curse words whan he is offended by certain behavior... is that a problem?

Also consider dropping the smileys. They make you look like a fool.
                    You should consider to use them more, as people are emotional by nature. Without using them you sounds like a robot.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 28 January 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Usually, when people say something does not work properly that indicate how they hit some bugs with new driver... which does not exist on older. Which in turn means, you still have regressions unsolved so seemless upgrade from fglrx to new driver is not possible to somebody

Just read things from user perpective using slightly incorrect but common user vocabular... there regression means whatever regressed in user space by trying to swtiching to something... it can be even regression when somoene go from old geforce card to shinny new radeon card and is negatively impressed by low performance on new card because of shitty drivers

Developers has hard time understanding users, opposite is true too

And when someone read what is claimed as supported on AMD site, he see his card is missing there so not supported for a whole bloody year+ so he still use fglrx from year ago - all feelings go into direction that support was dropped year ago and that is sort of fact when things does not work with new driver

You don't need to download anything to use Freesync, just enter the command in the terminal. With these newer 16.60 drivers there are more games supported in Freesync mode.
                      Also You might want to work on your politeness and grammar before you lash out at somebody, because they actually might help You. Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                      X