No announcement yet.

It Looks Like We'll Still See A GUI Control Panel For AMD Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope also for MESA. The Device Manager would be a good implementation too.

Comment

Oh god I truly truly hope AMD doesn't go full retard and release it only for the pro stack. If you need to code in the plumbing it should be done for both stacks. Lets face the truth here, it's been over 9 years already and we still don't have an oss gui. And right now AMD -already- recommends the oss stack for gamers, and it's especially those that would prefer a gui.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        They should do simple GUI in a month or so and that is it ... no one expect vendors to do RadeonPro or nVidia Inspector GUIs
        I forgot ADL isn't there, so it would be really simple GUI

BTW, interesting acronmys for confusion those DAL, ADL, LDA, LAD, ALD, DLA...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Negative, I was trying to say "working on CCC wouldn't make sense until the underlying driver bits are there" rather than "work on CCC is proceeding and that's why we are adding things like fan control". That said, every related feature that goes into the driver stack is one less obstacle to worry about later.
          Well, do you know if there's a plan to port it to include in AMDGPU-Pro? Or if open sourcing it for Linux is going to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            And right now AMD -already- recommends the oss stack for gamers, and it's especially those that would prefer a gui.
            Where AMD recommends the oss stack for gamers? I think, they actually recommend both

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Negative, I was trying to say "working on CCC wouldn't make sense until the underlying driver bits are there" rather than "work on CCC is proceeding and that's why we are adding things like fan control". That said, every related feature that goes into the driver stack is one less obstacle to worry about later.
              One less thing in the way is always nice, I am sure that parity will come in time...

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

I have the similar experience with Nvidia drivers. First of all, everybody was saying: "Nvidia is the best and the greatest on Linux", so I bought a laptop with a nvidia card a few years back. The result was unexpected black screens after updates and other problems. So after beeing fed up I tried an amd card, back then on fglrx and everybody was saying: "you are an idiot, you will have soooo many problems"...

It was an HD5750 and honestly, I didn't have a single one...the gaming performance wasn't great but I didn't care about that at the moment. Then, after learning about amds open source plans, I was hooked and these days you could probably call me an amd fanboy... But I basicly only buy their cards.
                Bought Tomb Raider on sale today and was running it on my HD 5750. Runs like a champ on normal settings 1080p. I'm pretty impressed for such an old card.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                  Well, do you know if there's a plan to port it to include in AMDGPU-Pro? Or if open sourcing it for Linux is going to happen?
                  There is no *plan* to include the Crimson GUI in either driver. Right now it's a "possible" although until the necessary plumbing is implemented in the kernel driver (which we are working on bit by bit) it's more of a "hypothetical".
                  Last edited by bridgman; 25 November 2016, 12:56 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Maybe AMD could promise GUI for CL without X on april the first

Comment

Just curious, why this GUI is so important? In Windows I almost never mess with it and in Linux the video related stuff I adjust at the DE video settings (KDE). What you guys badly need the GUI for? Not trolling, just curious.

Comment

Working...
                      X