It Looks Like We'll Still See A GUI Control Panel For AMD Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    At the risk of sounding like Mr. Negative, I was trying to say "working on CCC wouldn't make sense until the underlying driver bits are there" rather than "work on CCC is proceeding and that's why we are adding things like fan control". That said, every related feature that goes into the driver stack is one less obstacle to worry about later.
    I also take it that by "CCC" you meant a generic config GUI and not the fglrx one specifically.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    They should do simple GUI in a month or so and that is it ... no one expect vendors to do RadeonPro or nVidia Inspector GUIs
    Uh, NVIDIA Inspector is literally a drop-down list, and a bunch more drop-down lists below it.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Just curious, why this GUI is so important? In Windows I almost never mess with it and in Linux the video related stuff I adjust at the DE video settings (KDE). What you guys badly need the GUI for? Not trolling, just curious.
      I usually use them on Windows to force anti-aliasing for games that don't have the option to enable it (*cough*Unreal Engine 3*cough*). With NVIDIA it's a surprisingly complex thing to do (you need NVIDIA Inspector, a third party app, to do it properly for the most part). And there is also the option of enabling ambient occlusion (which doesn't really work well in many cases) and forcing anisotropic filtering (but that one is usually managed by the game itself).

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
        I own a HP Zbook 15u with intel and amd solution. It has been plug and play since the day I installed ubuntu. (well almost, when enabling switching the first time it froze, but after that it was problemfree.) I use the radeonOSs driver for the radeon card.

Kind regards
        Brut.
        Yea, that's my experience too. I have an AMD-AMD hybrid graphics laptop and PRIME works pretty well, as long as the open drivers are used.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Uh, NVIDIA Inspector is literally a drop-down list, and a bunch more drop-down lists below it.
          Yeah, it is even open source

Contribute to Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector development by creating an account on GitHub.

Or like this one "i am average Eric, so i can't edit registry" RadeonMod

Download RadeonMod (previously known as AMD Registry Editor). This is an application that allows you to edit registry values for AMD GPU's.

Comment

But my point was those are all user maded tools, so don't expect that kind of thing AMD nor nVidia will made you GUI for

Comment

That will be a welcome addition. Running Fedora 25 on a venerable Nvidia Geforce GTX 460v2, installing the panel setting via Gnome Software was a good surprise thanks to the effort from negativo17. It will be nice that AMD uses Radeon Crimson frontend as the start because it is written in Qt which is crossplatform. and more elegant.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Then you probably should have mentioned that... Either you bought the thing used or your conception of "a few years ago" is different than most folks'.
                Well, if someone says that his "newer and better" laptop was a laptop with a HD5750. The "older and worse" isn't going to be terribly new either.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Then you probably should have mentioned that... Either you bought the thing used or your conception of "a few years ago" is different than most folks'.
                  I can admit to beeing a bit unclear... Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by vein
                    I can admit to beeing a bit unclear... Sorry...
                    It's not a big deal. Either way, it's a bad comparison IMO. Then again, I think anyone that's trying to boil the situation down to "Nvidia is better" or "AMD is better" is greatly oversimplifying things.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Well, if someone says that his "newer and better" laptop was a laptop with a HD5750. The "older and worse" isn't going to be terribly new either.
                    The word 'card' gave me the impression that it was not inside a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      I also take it that by "CCC" you meant a generic config GUI and not the fglrx one specifically.
                      Right. I haven't traced all the threads back but I think someone else said "CCC" and I didn't catch the name change in time. I think I remembered to call it something different in a subsequent email though.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X