A Word Of Warning When Using AMDGPU-PRO On An Unsupported Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post

Yea maybe if your still using fglrx and a 4 year old graphics card? Polaris cards have been out for almost half a year now, and if you want any sort of compute ability your stuck with amdgpu-pro, which is a big step back compared to fglrx.

Someone mentioned that amdgpu-pro is not in beta anymore? This driver should be named an alpha release...barely any distro support, no ability to build the packages for whatever distro you want like fglrx, compute performance is at least 10% slower compared to windows, and there is not even a basic binary to manage your GPUs (hello aticonfig??).

Im very frustrated with AMD especially with the amount of money we have given them..if it wasent for the superior cost/compute(which is probably a wash compare to the resources we need to put into the systems to get them to a working state due to lack of support/proper drivers and utilities), and slight advantage GNC has over nvidia for our compute applications we would have jumped ship a long time ago.
    Usually that frustation might be a problem, because with that in mind you might easely miss that amdgpu is in the development for more than 2 years now, while pro is in the wild for less than a year... but also that FGLRX/Catalyst was in service way way way back since 2002.

No i can't say, this is alpha nor even beta... OK, maybe AMD just like to name things as beta whole first year But particulary if you follow what and where it is currently advertised as supported and couple recomendations it should just work.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
      Yea maybe if your still using fglrx and a 4 year old graphics card?
      Ah 4 years old R7 350 launched in february this year, so it is GCN 1.0 and should be supported by fglrx i guess Recent review:

Comment

Looks like great new $50 GCN 1.0 still can do Dota 2 faster than iGPUs

Comment

And all that for the price of one average game for PS4 PRO... great GCN 1.0

Comment

I'm sorry for re-posting this in yet another thread, but I'm desperate for AMD people's attention (@bridgman to the rescue?). Elem,

I have this curios case of Lenovo Kaveri APU laptop, where none of the three driver mentioned above are able to fire up built-in eDP display, which is similar to what Michael had with amdgpu on his Kaveri laptops. It's very sad situation, I've been trying a year worth of kernel released radeon & CIK-enabled amdgpu drivers, to no avail. Recently I also tried amdgpu-pro dkms 16.40, and despite it compiling and loading fine, supposedly enabling DAL, it still does not enable my eDP. All three drivers enable external HDMI properly, only thing that seemingly work on the on the built-in laptop display is the backlight, the screen is just black...

The bug was reported like a year and a half ago, see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90320.

But to my utter surprise, fglrx knows how to enable eDP, due to some dark display initialization voodoo magic, likely due to a workaround in its code dedicated to handle some buggy eDP link training or i2c link issues that are known for some LCD displays. Naturally, being forced to use fglrx in (what's almost) year 2017 is next to going insane, no new distros would work, gnome refuses to cooperate, console switching would fail, just pure pain and misery.

Now, a question related to all this new and awesome AMD open driver efforts (which I deeply respect); now that we have almost fully featured OpenGL, with all the GPU and accel optimizations coming in, what is the plan with these display init workaround code support that is obviously present in fglrx, but somehow amdgpu is missing it (including amdgpu-pro).

If by any mean this workaround code in fglrx can be made available and back-ported to amdgpu (or even radeon) as a part of DAL or whatever, I'm sure many of us will have much smoother AMD experience, and Linux inclined people may actually want to start buying these APU laptops. To what use it all the fancy 3D when one can not even have a working display...

Comment

Sigh... I already responded to this in another thread, thought my post had disappeared or something.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...825#post911825

This issue has nothing to do with either of the threads you posted in, so starting a new topic would have been better.

If you are desperate for attention then making sure the bug report is current & complete is the right way to do it.

Posting in multiple threads/forums is always a bad idea.
              Last edited by bridgman; 17 November 2016, 01:23 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Honest apologise & thanks for the answer in the other thread, this had really made me desperate...

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                  But to my utter surprise, fglrx knows how to enable eDP, due to some dark display initialization voodoo magic, likely due to a workaround in its code dedicated to handle some buggy eDP link training or i2c link issues that are known for some LCD displays. Naturally, being forced to use fglrx in (what's almost) year 2017 is next to going insane, no new distros would work, gnome refuses to cooperate, console switching would fail, just pure pain and misery.

That is separate issue, gnome does not cooperate either with fglrx nor amdgpu-pro... people patching cogl to make it work

Comment

Hello, can someone explain me how to install amdgpu-pro driver on newer kernel ? Always getting error when it comes to building dkms module -> Kernel not supported.

Comment

If newer means "greater than 4.7" the answer is simply "don't, at least not yet". There was a change in TTM which breaks the inter-module interfaces.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X