Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Word Of Warning When Using AMDGPU-PRO On An Unsupported Kernel

Phoronix: A Word Of Warning When Using AMDGPU-PRO On An Unsupported Kernel

The recent slowdowns seen with AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 on my test systems may be attributed to the Linux 4.8 kernel being not properly supported by this hybrid kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is so funny when seen from the green camp

And having to wait for ATI to let me use newer kernels and X servers is what pushed me to the green camp. Years later a lot has changed, but somehow the problem has survived intact. Yes, yes, I know, no one is supposed to be needing the PRO driver and enterprises that do are probably not on 4.8. But it's still puzzling from where I'm standing.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      This is so funny when seen from the green camp

And having to wait for ATI to let me use newer kernels and X servers is what pushed me to the green camp. Years later a lot has changed, but somehow the problem has survived intact. Yes, yes, I know, no one is supposed to be needing the PRO driver and enterprises that do are probably not on 4.8. But it's still puzzling from where I'm standing.
      Considering all the support distros have a kernel before 4.8 in their repos, I would consider using 4.8 with AMDGPU-Pro as clearly unsupported, as any supported configuration would require a custom kernel.

After the open sourcing Vulkan and openCL, this argument will be obsolete, as there will be no reason for the up to date user to not use the open stack by default.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        With nvidia linux driver you have to do more complex operations: kill x and run the installer without a desktop.
        That may be the case of the vanilla installer (don't know, haven't used that in ages). Ubuntu's driver manager manages to install it from the desktop though, so that's definitely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Damn, there is no winning with you people. "fgrlx doesn't work on newer kernels!" and then people say "amdgpu-pro doesn't work on older kernels!".
          fglrx at this point is primarily meant only for FirePro and enterprise users, which is why they're not updating for the latest kernels. amdgpu-pro currently appears to be targeting gamers. It's a new set of drivers and they need to draw the line somewhere. I can't imagine AMD has the technology to reverse time to make commits to older kernels so it works properly.

Comment

Open source Vulkan driver works already, follow the Mesa ( radv) development:

OpenCL users are are not that common, so most users do not care.
            Anyone doing work, I mean work that involves CFD/FEA/Modeling of any kind, Compositing, Raw Editing, etc. all care.

Comment

AMD's drivers are such a mess. I can't wait to replace my 390X. With my old card (GTX 560 Ti), I would just select that I wanted the driver during install and the package manager would keep it up to date for me. With this card, I've had to add repos, create xorg files, and even recompiled my kernel in an effort to get any sort of usability out of it. Having to sacrifice other kernel updates and improvements to use their PRO driver is not ok.

Comment

I guess what would be interesting is to see the amdgpu-pro userspace running with 4 kernels, the supported version with the pro module, the supported version with the upstream module and the latest kernel with the pro and upstream modules.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Damn, there is no winning with you people. "fgrlx doesn't work on newer kernels!" and then people say "amdgpu-pro doesn't work on older kernels!".
                  True, when you're used to drivers that work on everything and the kitchen sink, none of the choices above looks like a winner.

Using distro packages, then you can break your operating system, like it did happen with a ubuntu laptop user here. Ubuntu is slow and full of bloatware, so it is not suitable for any work or hobby.
                  I'm using Kubuntu both at work and at home, fu very much.

Comment

Open source Vulkan driver works already, follow the Mesa ( radv) development: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/
                    Radv makes great progress, but isn't a conformant driver yet.
                    OpenCL users are are not that common, so most users do not care.
                    AFAIK, right now, OpenCL is used more than Vulkan. And I expect the usage of both technologies to increase in the coming years.

Comment

Working...
                    X