A Word Of Warning When Using AMDGPU-PRO On An Unsupported Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yep, my expectations would be the same as yours. I believe you should be getting significantly higher frame rates with that hardware and those drivers. That's why I was asking if maybe you had DPM disabled from an earlier troubleshooting effort.
    I used to have DPM disabled previously, but thankfully that was fixed a bit ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      One thing is fast enough, but people does not want fast enough, instead they want copy/paste Windows performance on the same hardware - that is the main joke

But that does not happen with any hardware nor any drivers on Linux... OK maybe sometimes, but mostly not.
      Right now, on Archlinux + wine-gallium-nine + mesa-git I'm having the same performance (sometimes even faster) than I had in Windows7 ≈4 years ago when I had that OS. "radeon" driver here, "r600" kernel driver.

So yes, it does happen.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu-SUSE-CLR
        Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Slowest desktop and os, good choices. It is fun to see nerve breaking with religious people.
        Oh, look, Ubuntu isn't actually the slowest OS: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu-SUSE-CLR
        Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        One thing is fast enough, but people does not want fast enough, instead they want copy/paste Windows performance on the same hardware - that is the main joke

But that does not happen with any hardware nor any drivers on Linux... OK maybe sometimes, but mostly not.
        Nvidia has been providing that for years, so yes, people want it. I haven't checked lately, but if you ran Unigine benchmarks in OpenGL mode, they were actually a tad faster on Linux.
        On the other hand, expecting a game with a wrapper layered on top to work as well as it does on Windows is "somewhat" unrealistic

Comment

Originally posted by Screech View Post
          The only chance linux had to become a viable gaming platform was the steam PC and that failed miserably.
          That is not fail at all actually, as OSX and Linux ports so GL were always had been somewhat slower... rule of thumb is if you get 60% to 80% out of game for Windows it is considered fine.

If below 60% we can say it is bad port, if up than 80% then port is excellent even if it not most of the time exactly performant like on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Nvidia has been providing that for years, so yes, people want it. I haven't checked lately, but if you ran Unigine benchmarks in OpenGL mode, they were actually a tad faster on Linux.
            Yep, I think that is still the case today (for both AMD and NVidia), although Linux was a tad slower this time:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Win-Linu-AMDNV
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              Right now, on Archlinux + wine-gallium-nine + mesa-git I'm having the same performance (sometimes even faster) than I had in Windows7 ≈4 years ago when I had that OS. "radeon" driver here, "r600" kernel driver.

So yes, it does happen.
              It does not happen since those are Windows games, isn't it

Comment

But is probably most of the GL slowness came from glx and validation bound, but gallium nine somwhow just avoid hitting these... but that also does not run all games succesfully, and not at all those beyond (and bellow) DX9 level, so there again you are sometimes fast enough and sometimes slow to cry and sometimes it does not even work

Comment

Originally posted by Screech View Post
                  If you want to seriously play all the latest and most demanding PC games you use windows. End of story. It doesn't matter if you have nvidia or AMD. The only chance linux had to become a viable gaming platform was the steam PC and that failed miserably.
                  At first there are applications that utilize the GPU more on Linux. And SteamOS/Steam Machines did not fail! I don't know what all these guys smoked believing you could release a new "console" the way Valve did within 5 years. It was clear at the beginning that it would take at least 10 years just to get reasonably affordable hardware and supported software for it. These Steam Machines need a Zen APU with HBM and Polaris 10- Performance in a tiny device as big as two fingers for a price competing with the price of consoles. And this will happen within the next year(s) you can be damn sure. And it will finally be the reason why DirectX 12 will not succeed on the long term.

Comment

Back to the AMDGPU kernel module via DKMS, what exactly happened as dkms did not fail? Want to see "dkms status". Usually you would see some override of the original module.

Comment

New driver, old problems. Until PRO will be able to run on a fully open source mainline kernel it will keep being like the old, useless "fglrx". Just let it die and focus on the open driver, we still need decent OpenCL support.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X