No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too weird compiling xserver from git for OpenSource radeon driver. How fglrx working with current xserver then? If fglrx working, than opensourced one has to be work 2 time better. I choose fglrx instead of compiling xserver...

Comment

You don't need xserver from git to have DRI with radeon or radeonHD.
      If I understand correctly you only need xserver from git if you:
      - want AIGLX (see the error in the previous page)
      - have a x86_64 distro

Comment

How much work is needed before 2d and 3d rendering play nice together?

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
          How much work is needed before 2d and 3d rendering play nice together?
          Works fine on radeon already. On radeonhd, the 2D code paths that use the CP need to be ported over from radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
            You don't need xserver from git to have DRI with radeon or radeonHD.
            If I understand correctly you only need xserver from git if you:
            - want AIGLX (see the error in the previous page)
            - have a x86_64 distro

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhdRI
            OpenSUSE 10.3 x86-64 and I want AIGLX...
            I will wait OpenSUSE 11 which will be released in 20 days. I wish it has new xserver...

Comment

Scias, a number of problems on RS480 were fixed recently, but you'll need to pick up the entire stack (xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati, mesa/drm and mesa/mesa) and will probably want a new X server build as well. I'm not sure you need the new Xserver but it will give you a nice performance increase when running EXA.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
                It's too weird compiling xserver from git for OpenSource radeon driver. How fglrx working with current xserver then? If fglrx working, than opensourced one has to be work 2 time better. I choose fglrx instead of compiling xserver...
                It's not a question of better or worse; the fglrx driver is aimed primarily at commercial distributions which are already in the field -- Ubuntu Hardy is about the newest that we target today.

The latest code for the open source driver is targetted at the latest code for xserver - all the pieces of the stack have to move forward together or nothing works, ie there would be no drivers to test the new xserver with
                Test signature

Comment

I noticed a problem with sauerbraten game (Ubuntu 0.0.20071227.dfsg-1 version). The problem is that is really slow about 1 frame every 10-20 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    I noticed a problem with sauerbraten game (Ubuntu 0.0.20071227.dfsg-1 version). The problem is that is really slow about 1 frame every 10-20 seconds.
                    This is what I get in the console.

Code:
                    Renderer: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL (DRI R300 Project)
                    Driver: 1.3 Mesa 7.1 rc1
                    WARNING: No occlusion query support! (large maps may be SLOW)
                    Rendering using the OpenGL 1.5 assembly shader path.
                    WARNING: No framebuffer object support. (reflective water may be slow)
                    WARNING: Non-power-of-two textures not supported!
                    init: console
                    *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
                    File r300_render.c function r300Fallback line 377
                    Software fallback:ctx->Line.SmoothFlag
                    ***************************************************************************
                    I tried to disable low-impact fallback with driconf, but the game now is all grey...

Comment

oibaf: I'd say Sauerbraten is falling back to software rendering, but you should probably ask on the Sauerbraten forums (specifically, here would be good).

Comment

Working...
                      X