Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midol View Post
    I am currently using Fedora 7 with the proprietary ATI driver. I want to switch in the next month or so to F9. It would be very nice to have a step by step guide to get a decent free driver up and running.
    I think Dave will be providing packages for F9 soon.

Comment

I want to say THANK YOU to Davie Airlie, Bridgman, agd5f, Matthias, Corbin, and any other developers that contributed to this driver... and to AMD for releasing their specifications. I've gone back and forth over the past 2 years on whether I should sell my Radeon and go with NVidia. But I think Radeons have superior hardware and now that I have a working driver, it's only going to get better from here. I guess I made the right choice after all by sticking with AMD.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
      Last edited by surfer; 28 May 2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Excellent.
        Runs also under FreeBSD.
        Now if someone could take care of Bug 8056

kudos to all the developers from vladimir to alex ;-)

Comment

I can't take any credit here, but the devs have done a fantastic job and Alex also did double-duty writing the 5xx acceleration documentation in the first place. Along with Dave Airlie, we also need to mention Corbin (MostAwesomeDude on IRC) who did most of the work with the arb_fragment_program support and a lot of other good stuff as well.
          Last edited by bridgman; 28 May 2008, 10:35 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Hmm, I also get this error:
            Originally posted by Xorg.0.log
            (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
            (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
            Does anyone know how to fix this?
            (I'm running Gentoo, with mesa-9999, libdrm-9999 and x11-drm-99999999 all from the x11 overlay.)

Comment

I think I need to wrestle with compiz a bit.. I think I have some old configs kicking around or something. It worked once on a different install but not my main one with my legacy home directory from like fc2 and up. I feel there is probably some old file in there killing me at this point.

Compiz ballooned up to like 50% memory usage on my 2GB system! That slowed her down.

Great work on the driver though... xmoto works very nice. (thats the limit of my mad gaming skillz)

Comment

Originally posted by goffrie View Post
                Hmm, I also get this error:

Does anyone know how to fix this?
                (I'm running Gentoo, with mesa-9999, libdrm-9999 and x11-drm-99999999 all from the x11 overlay.)
                you'll need xorg-server from git too.
                Good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                  you'll need xorg-server from git too.
                  Good luck with that
                  Can somebody please provide a list of all the repositories that are required to get this going?

I can see:

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
                  git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa
                  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver
                  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-input-mouse
                  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-input-keyboard
                  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-????

How much have I missed?

I have a X1300Pro video card, and the proprietary drivers crash at startup, so I am interested in progress on the open source drivers.

Brian May

Comment

(Sorry for my bad english)
                    Does this driver work with RS480 chipsets ?

I've an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 IGP (PCIE), previous versions of xf86-video-ati (or radeon) aren't working (DRI & 3D not functional)

On freedesktop.org, it was written that RS480 crashes with xf86-video-radeon.

I don't want to compile and see that it's not working for me at all.

I'll wait for built debian packages

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
                      I don't want to compile and see that it's not working for me at all.

I'll wait for built debian packages
                      You can try it out from a live CD and if it works, you can try to install those Ubuntu packages on Debian unstable.

Comment

Working...
                      X