• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The HD4890 isn't a Crossfire card.
    Correct, the 4890 had only one GPU.
    Those started appearing only since HD5000.
    False, the first ATI dual-GPU card intended for the mass market was the Rage Fury Maxx.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      False, the first ATI dual-GPU card intended for the mass market was the Rage Fury Maxx.
      By "those" I meant "highest end Radeon HD non-X2 cards with two GPUs". The first one was HD 5970.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        ...the first ATI dual-GPU card intended for the mass market was the Rage Fury Maxx.
        Ah, how long has it been since since its name has been in memory back during the old days that I might ask myself... Well, it's been a long time for me since I got so interested in ATI Rage 128 and 128 Pro! It's been long since I once had an IBM Aptiva with ATI Rage Pro (2MB... could have been 4MB, though). LOL! I remember Maxx being a card with a dual-GPU chip built-in, but if I recall correctly, I don't think Rage Fury Maxx did well in performance. Well, maybe... I could be wrong... I did remember the name, but the rest of it-- is pretty much faint in my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
          Hello Guys,

I noticed that Ubuntu 14.04 alpha still doesn't have UVD(2/3) support, libg3dvl-mesa is MIA. Does anyone know if they plan to leave it out? Reason might be that it's buggy at least with VLC and Xine on my Kabini Book (using 13.10 an obaf PPA), but it works perfectly with mplayer and mpv.

Would be a shame if it's left out, at least as a non-default. Does anyone know about the Plans for the next LTS?
          The request to include it is here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656719
          The g3dvl patch was already merged in Ubuntu mesa git, but later reverted to discuss it more. In the meantime two other implementations were proposed. It needs someone to look at and commit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobai View Post
            The only non-RV 600 was the R600 itself (HD2900). Upon its big announcement, it had all bells and whistles. The very next day a storm went over the internet as the video decoding part was completely retracted, and the R600 was not claimed to have UVD at all.

I think that everyone has ever since implied that UVD was just broken on R600 and was improperly tested before the R600 ASIC was produced. I don't think i ever got a direct acknowledgement of this from AMD back in the day, but i never got a denial either.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              The request to include it is here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656719
              The g3dvl patch was already merged in Ubuntu mesa git, but later reverted to discuss it more. In the meantime two other implementations were proposed. It needs someone to look at and commit it.
              Thanks for the info oibaf! And thanks for providing your PPA - I'm new to it and very happy

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                I don't understand....oibaf using your PPA UVD1 is already available???

It would be a very nice news for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Axl_Mas View Post
                  I don't understand....oibaf using your PPA UVD1 is already available???

It would be a very nice news for me!
                  Obviously no, in my PPA there is the same UVD/VDPAU code in mesa git, which is still not enabled on Debian/Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    HD 4890 is known for high power usage, also has two GPUs. Avoid "highest end" cards.
                    Wrong, it's a reworked version of the HD4870 and is faster using slightly less power and is only a single GPU.

You are thinking of the X2 line which are Crossfire on a card setups that still don't have proper support in the OSS drivers.

Comment

By "those" I meant "highest end Radeon HD non-X2 cards with two GPUs". The first one was HD 5970.
                      Wrong again, The HD series dual GPU card was the HD3870X2 also known as the R680 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241070

There where also some non official versions of this concept with the next step down version of the GPU core for better thermals and a lower price point, but the HD3870X2 was the first official Crossfire on a card setup from AMD/ATI.

Comment

Working...
                      X