Open-Source Radeon UVD1 Code Is Pending Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    not all 7xx series mainboard chips included UVD 2. But at least those 785G/880G and some more have UVD 2 and all those that were based on HD4000 series desktop cards
    I was talking about those that are still sold:
    - 760G, codename RS780
    - 785G, codename RS880
    - 880G, codename RS880
    Those are exactly those not supported.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      I'm burning from the fact AMD released 5000 (supporting OGL4/D3D11, UVD 2.2 and whistles) series 2 months right after I purchased the 4890. After 2 years AMD called my card legacy and there is no burn heal for that
      Yea, I was in a similar boat. At the time there was a choice of buying the HD4890 (which was a tried and true top-of-the-line card) or something from the very new, probably still overpriced at that point HD5000 series. So yeah, quite unfortunate. Though I'm now using an NVIDIA GTX 660 and the older card is now in an HTPC (albeit it's way too overpowered and generates too much heat even with DPM).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        (albeit it's way too overpowered and generates too much heat even with DPM).
        That would be something I could live with, but a card without hardware video decoding in a HTPC sounds quite weird.

Comment

It shouldn't matter whether gpus are still sold or not. Since they decided to drop support from catalyst, they should at least provide it for the radeon driver. They may not get money from my old 3870 gpu, BUT when it is time for me to upgrade, (quite soon i might add), i will think about the amount of support i got from AMD before i decide what to buy.

It is quite unethical for AMD to tell us "since you already paid for it, we don't care". I know that it is in AMD's best interest to make us upgrade every year, but we are at a "good enough" point right now and most of us don't see the need...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Yea, I was in a similar boat. At the time there was a choice of buying the HD4890 (which was a tried and true top-of-the-line card) or something from the very new, probably still overpriced at that point HD5000 series. So yeah, quite unfortunate. Though I'm now using an NVIDIA GTX 660 and the older card is now in an HTPC (albeit it's way too overpowered and generates too much heat even with DPM).
            HD 4890 is known for high power usage, also has two GPUs. Avoid "highest end" cards.

Comment

Hello Guys,

I noticed that Ubuntu 14.04 alpha still doesn't have UVD(2/3) support, libg3dvl-mesa is MIA. Does anyone know if they plan to leave it out? Reason might be that it's buggy at least with VLC and Xine on my Kabini Book (using 13.10 an obaf PPA), but it works perfectly with mplayer and mpv.

Would be a shame if it's left out, at least as a non-default. Does anyone know about the Plans for the next LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                That would be something I could live with, but a card without hardware video decoding in a HTPC sounds quite weird.
                Well, the CPU there is also rather overpowered (Phenom II X4 925), so there are no problems with software decoding.

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                HD 4890 is known for high power usage, also has two GPUs. Avoid "highest end" cards.
                I think you're thinking about something else. The HD4890 isn't a Crossfire card. Those started appearing only since HD5000.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  No, it has one, the RV790XT. What you possibly mean are cards like the 4850 X2 and 4870 X2, which indeed had two GPUs.

Comment

They should do it for the love.

Although seriously, brand loyalty is fostered over time.
                    I buy AMD equipment because they appear to try so hard to make things better for us.

Comment

The first-generation UVD hardware was the RV600 series (Radeon HD 3000 series)
                      No, UVD started with the HD 2000 series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder#UVD_enabled_GPUs

Comment

Working...
                      X