X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    They won't do that.
    Did you mean "they" for "the Ubuntu team will not update the driver to 8.42" or "AMD will not release the driver before october 18"?

Comment

So guys, what else do you think is on the table for 8.42 aside from the pre-R600 fixes?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Did you mean "they" for "the Ubuntu team will not update the driver to 8.42" or "AMD will not release the driver before october 18"?
        I meant Ubuntu will not include them for Gutsy. There is a chance that the fglrx 8.42 gets backported for Gutsy but I would not trust in this. However, you can, of course, install the fglrx by yourself.

So guys, what else do you think is on the table for 8.42 aside from the pre-R600 fixes?
        You've spoken about AIGLX support in recent articles, so I guess it should be included. You've mentioned that there is no Kernel 2.6.23 support, which is a bit disappointing but maybe we can have Xorg 7.3. Oh, and the fglrx 8.41 did not have 3D options in the AMDCCCLE. I pray that these will come back.

Comment

not much ?

oh, maybe new x.org support will arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I meant Ubuntu will not include them for Gutsy. There is a chance that the fglrx 8.42 gets backported for Gutsy but I would not trust in this. However, you can, of course, install the fglrx by yourself.
            In feisty (released on April, 19) there's fglrx 8.37.6 (released on May, 31). So I guess Ubuntu will probably include 8.42 in backports asap, especially if AIGLX support will be supported...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Probably anti aliasing support for HD 2xxx series cards. Some bug fixes (if we're lucky), compiz, the new xorg support. And if we're luckier, maybe some fixes for xv video playback. Maybe enhance some of the 2d performance a bit which would help the xv video playback.

Maybe umm... Ohh wait, no they won't do that (fix agp bus issue on x1k cards). If they do, i'm sold, that shouldn't be a hard bug to fix anyway, its a detection problem.

Comment

I'm new here so sorry if this is a silly question: will the 8.42 fglrx driver bring support for hardware acceleration of decoding h.264 video or VC-1 (taking advantage of the UVD)?

that isn't already supported, is it?

Comment

I'm new here so sorry if this is a silly question: will the 8.42 fglrx driver bring support for hardware acceleration of decoding h.264 video or VC-1 (taking advantage of the UVD)?
                  i guess not. maybe it's implemented in textured video feature of fglrx, maybe not.

Comment

When will fglrx driver fixes bug with a capture tv? I've always have problem with fglrx and capture tv. If o open any tv program, like kdetv, xawtv, ... the screen switch to black (in the best case) or crashes x server (the worse case).

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix-TX View Post
                      When will fglrx driver fixes bug with a capture tv? I've always have problem with fglrx and capture tv. If o open any tv program, like kdetv, xawtv, ... the screen switch to black (in the best case) or crashes x server (the worse case).
                      I don't really understand what you want to do exactly. I am able to watch TV using tvtime (analog TV via cable) and the fglrx driver. Those are the relevant parts of my config for this stuff:

Code:
                      Section "Extensions"
                              Option "Composite" "disable"
                      #       fglrx-only f?r xvideo (tvtime)
                              Option "XVideo" "Enable"
                      EndSection

Section "Device"
                              Identifier      "ATI Graphics Adapter"
                              Driver          "fglrx"
                              BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
                              Screen          0
                              Option          "MonitorLayout"         "TMDS, NONE"
                              Option          "AGPMode"               "8"
                              Option          "RenderAccel"           "on"
                              Option          "AccelMethod"           "xaa"
                              Option          "GARTSize"              "64"
                      #       noetig f?r fl?ssiges Bild unter tvtime
                              Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
                      #       r300 driver options
                      #        Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "true"
                      #        Option          "ColorTiling"           "true"
                      #       fglrx options
                              Option          "VideoOverlay"          "on"
                              Option          "OpenGLOverlay"         "off"
                              Option          "UseInternalAGPGART"    "no"
                      EndSection
                      As you see I do have VideoOverlay set to "on" and "OpenGLOverlay" to off. I do need VideoOverlay active to have tvtime work, but that is all (beside the xvideo extension which is not needed when using the open source radeon driver).

In short: watching TV is possible over here using the fglrx driver though the output does not look as crisp as with the open radeon driver. At least when not running at full screen it seems to be rather "blocky" especially with text. When capturing a screenshot from inside tvtime that is not oberservable (as well it is working nicely with the open driver) so it is definatly an issue with the xvideo implementation in the fglrx driver.

PS: I was never able to get things working using kdetv but I do at least get an image using xawtv. My graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9800Pro and my TV-Card is a Cinergy 400 TV (using the "Philips Semiconductors SAA7134/SAA7135HL Video Broadcast Decoder (rev 01)
                      " (regadring to lspci)). I had initially some problems to get the tuner working since autodetection does not work nicely...

Comment

Working...
                      X