Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any news on ATI fglrx 8.42?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    It would be great if this driver coincided with the final release of Gutsy Gibbon, I am using the current restricted driver in Fiesty (whichever driver version that is) on a laptop with the Xpress 1150 chipset... it's weak. desktop effects do not work without reverting to older versions of beryl and installing a diff X server etc. by the way... hi everyone

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by Squizzle View Post
      It would be great if this driver coincided with the final release of Gutsy Gibbon, I am using the current restricted driver in Fiesty (whichever driver version that is) on a laptop with the Xpress 1150 chipset... it's weak. desktop effects do not work without reverting to older versions of beryl and installing a diff X server etc. by the way... hi everyone
      Hi,

      Welcome to the forums.

      It's an interesting thought having fglrx 8.42 coincide with the Gutsy Gibbon release.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #73
        Why does it matter if its included in the ubuntu release? I'd rather have them wait for the driver to be good to release even if its oct. 31; then to rush delivery. Don't ubuntu package maintainers just put the update for the binary blob in the repository?
        Besides can't u-users just install it with the download from ati?

        Does anyone know what the state of fglrx, esp. in distros that push it like ubuntu, will be when RadeonHD is ready?

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
          Why does it matter if its included in the ubuntu release? I'd rather have them wait for the driver to be good to release even if its oct. 31; then to rush delivery. Don't ubuntu package maintainers just put the update for the binary blob in the repository?
          Besides can't u-users just install it with the download from ati?

          Does anyone know what the state of fglrx, esp. in distros that push it like ubuntu, will be when RadeonHD is ready?
          fglrx 8.41 or 8.42 is not being included by default in Gutsy.


          RadeonHD will hit Hardy at the earliest.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
            Why does it matter if its included in the ubuntu release? I'd rather have them wait for the driver to be good to release even if its oct. 31; then to rush delivery. Don't ubuntu package maintainers just put the update for the binary blob in the repository?
            Besides can't u-users just install it with the download from ati?

            Does anyone know what the state of fglrx, esp. in distros that push it like ubuntu, will be when RadeonHD is ready?
            It's not that it "matters". It just would be nice. I agree with you that waiting a few days for a good driver is the best option, but it would be good to have it released with Ubuntu 7.10.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              fglrx 8.41 or 8.42 is not being included by default in Gutsy.


              RadeonHD will hit Hardy at the earliest.
              My guess would be that if 8.42 is stable and AIGLX capable, it might be available through repositories quickly?

              As for RadeonHD, I don't have any idea. As an user, I would choose the best performing driver. When RadeonHD is as good as fglrx (functionality-wise) I might try it.

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
                Why does it matter if its included in the ubuntu release? I'd rather have them wait for the driver to be good to release even if its oct. 31; then to rush delivery. Don't ubuntu package maintainers just put the update for the binary blob in the repository?
                Besides can't u-users just install it with the download from ati?

                Does anyone know what the state of fglrx, esp. in distros that push it like ubuntu, will be when RadeonHD is ready?
                Ah, wasn't saying it mattered particularly, it's just that the new ubuntu enables compiz by default, I was merely making a passing thought that it would be nice if it all worked "out of the box" so to speak with my card when I upgrade on the 18th.

                Couldn't agree more though, if it's the case, I'd much rather wait a few days for a decent driver than using a rushed one

                Edit: Just read Michael's response to your comment and I must say I'm confused now.

                I have used linux for some time, only most of it has been terminal stuff, administrating servers via PuTTY, having only switched at home a few days back, I'm new to all this video driver business... hence lurking here to try and learn a thing or two =)
                Last edited by Squizzle; 12 October 2007, 02:58 PM.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                  It's not that it "matters". It just would be nice. I agree with you that waiting a few days for a good driver is the best option, but it would be good to have it released with Ubuntu 7.10.

                  I guess I don't see the benefit. I wouldn't see why a linux distribution should focus on the release of proprietary software. If a user chooses to use them proprietary software I guess I don't see why they need their distribution to push it to them, rather than just get it themselves.

                  I am also surprised a linux distribution puts proprietary blobs in their repositories.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    It's more easy to install the driver fglrx of Ubuntu that to install the driver of the web site of ATI-AMD. But, the driver of Ubuntu is not the best and if ATI-AMD put the new driver on the web site before october 18 Ubuntu will be able to updates there driver to the 8.42.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by pierluc View Post
                      It's more easy to install the driver fglrx of Ubuntu that to install the driver of the web site of ATI-AMD. But, the driver of Ubuntu is not the best and if ATI-AMD put the new driver on the web site before october 18 Ubuntu will be able to updates there driver to the 8.42.
                      They won't do that.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X