No announcement yet.

Gallium3D VDPAU On Radeon Starts Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added the video acceleration drivers to my Ubuntu PPA. For more info see here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...127#post209127

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's only Git stuff right now, no releases. It's very fresh and distros will take time to pick it up. The out-of-the-box situation for HD video has been bad for years in distros. Let's see how long it takes for this stuff to reach end users.
      ffmpeg MT is available and works, now. Not out of the box, but it's easy to get it going. Gallium's GPU acceleration only exists on paper (for H.264, MPEG-2 hardly matters).

Comment

It doesn't look that good with r600g and evergreen (juniper) hardware. but at least it's showing a picture

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          I think the 3D engine is still used, at least I have read that the Radeon 6770 uses shaders for MVC decode and the Xenos GPU also uses shaders for HD playback (although I am not sure if Xenos has UVD).
          ATI drivers use shaders to do post-processing, but the actual decoding is fully done by the UVD hardware unit.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            ATI drivers use shaders to do post-processing, but the actual decoding is fully done by the UVD hardware unit.
            Not on r500 and earlier, which do not have a UVD unit. It's all done in shaders there.

Comment

Technically there's been some kind of hw video accel chip there from the Rage II+dvd onwards, I think. Perhaps it only does the MC part or something.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Technically there's been some kind of hw video accel chip there from the Rage II+dvd onwards, I think. Perhaps it only does the MC part or something.
                That was only on the mach64 and maybe some early r128s. With radeon, it was all done on chip. From r300 onward it was done with shaders. On r1xx/r2xx there was a special mode you put the 3D engine into.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  That was only on the mach64 and maybe some early r128s. With radeon, it was all done on chip. From r300 onward it was done with shaders. On r1xx/r2xx there was a special mode you put the 3D engine into.
                  Thanks for the correction. BTW, is that special mode documented?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    This is true for most cards that have an UVD unit. However as the 6770 is a rebranded Juniper, its UVD unit does not have the capabilities for MVC (Blu-Ray 3D) decode. So the decoding is done in the shaders.

Comment

r300 also supported

VDPAU/XvMC gallium 3d acceleration is also supported on r300 hardware now (commit).

It is also available in my Ubuntu PPA.

Comment

Working...
                      X