Another Optimization Comes For Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing In Mesa 24.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    LOL! Linux on the desktop is something like 2% and has been for a long time. It's negligible. It's sad but the truth.
    Windows is a mere local client, everything else uses Linux, FreeBSD, an unholy amalgamation of Darwin+FreeBSD+NeXTSTEP+PostScript-server+Dart+cruft, Linux+Java, an embedded seL4 system, or some other embedded specialty OS. And Azure? Just a platform for running Linux and FreeBSD VMs, last I heard -- that may well have changed.

I'd call it a thin client if the idea of calling 64 gigabytes of adware "thin" didn't make me puke.
    Last edited by mulenmar; 06 February 2024, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
      AMD have made their opensource driver promise somewhere near HD2900 launch time. 17 years ago. Long before vulkan, long before mantle. And still they've preferred to invest their resources into amdgpupro/amdvlk development. That is their commitment to opensource. RADV have started without any AMD help.
      I never heard anything about it until around 2012, 2013 when I started hearing about AMDGPU. Soon after I switched from NVIDIA, an 8400 GS, to an R7 260x a in 2014 and have been using AMDGPU since 2015. AMDGPU was released on 4/20 of that year .

Ironically, AMD contributes to RADV these days and it's their default Vulkan renderer when AMDGPU-Pro is used. AMDVLK/Pro lost and AMD has basically admitted defeat.

hahaha.
      Yeah, I know it's funny, but it's true.

Anecdotally, I have a 1440p ultrawide, I "downgraded" from a 4K TV, and, to me, ray tracing just ain't worth the $200+ increase in price to get a 4070-grade GPU from NVIDIA to play games at 1440p60-ish versus the 1440p90-ish I get without RT with my $330 6700 XT. The $600/700 increase in price to get OK ray tracing from AMD or really good ray tracing from NVIDIA really aren't worth it to me just yet.

$400 is the best I'm willing to pay for either a GPU or a CPU, and that's the after tax, pushing my limits, price. If they can't get ray tracing down to a "reasonable" price, ray tracing won't be for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

Windows is a mere local client, everything else uses Linux, FreeBSD, an unholy amalgamation of Darwin+FreeBSD+NeXTSTEP+PostScript-server+Dart+cruft, Linux+Java, an embedded seL4 system, or some other embedded specialty OS. And Azure? Just a platform for running Linux and FreeBSD VMs, last I heard -- that may well have changed.

I'd call it a thin client if the idea of calling 64 gigabytes of adware "thin" didn't make me puke.
        LOL, really? Who uses FreeBSD? Most ppl use Windows, unfortunately.... maybe you should set your clock alarm so you aren't dreaming so much?

Comment

LOL, really? Who uses FreeBSD? Most ppl use Windows, unfortunately.... maybe you should set your clock alarm so you aren't dreaming so much?
          Last I heard:

- Sony
          - Nintendo
          - Netflix
          - TrueNAS

Apparently also

- Panasonic
          - eBay
          - All these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...etary_software
          - All these, too https://webtastic.ai/technologies/freebsd
          - Of course, FreeBSD has their own list https://www.freebsd.org/commercial/software/

Most people use Android or iOS on their devices, and Gens Z and Alpha use tablets and phones far more than computers. Which then connect to routers, which run embedded Linux or a BSD. Which connect to or are part of modems, which do the same. Which connect to an entire network of servers, a majority of which are running Linux or a BSD, either at the baremetal layer or -- as mentioned before -- in a VM in the cases where it's Windows Azure.

And Windows? Well, they spent the last decade or so catching up to POSIX by adding in their Powershell (which some say is better than POSIX and Bash shells, for whatever reason) and Windows Subsystem for Linux. A couple versions, in fact. In which several Linux distros can be downloaded right from their own store.

Maybe you should buy an alarm clock, so you can wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            AMD have made their opensource driver promise somewhere near HD2900 launch time. 17 years ago. Long before vulkan, long before mantle. And still they've preferred to invest their resources into amdgpupro/amdvlk development. That is their commitment to opensource.
            Perhaps we failed to communicate this sufficiently well, but we have not shipped fglrx for over a decade.

What you call "amdgpu pro" is what we call "packaged drivers", built from upstream open source code with the addition of DKMS support and KCL (Kernel Compatibility Layer) code so that the drivers can be installed on a range of kernel versions rather than only the kernel version in the upstream tree. We do provide an install option for closed source OpenGL and Vulkan userspace drivers for specific CAD workstation users but even there the rest of the stack is open source.

We expect that the majority of customers will use the 100% open source drivers and we make that the install default.

The primary purpose of the packaged drivers is to support the use of new hardware on older distro versions, where the driver code in the distro (particularly kernel) is not sufficiently recent to include support for the new hardware.
            Last edited by bridgman; 07 February 2024, 02:43 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Last I heard:

- Sony
              - Nintendo
              - Netflix
              - TrueNAS

Apparently also

- Panasonic
              - eBay
              - All these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...etary_software
              - All these, too https://webtastic.ai/technologies/freebsd
              - Of course, FreeBSD has their own list https://www.freebsd.org/commercial/software/

Most people use Android or iOS on their devices, and Gens Z and Alpha use tablets and phones far more than computers. Which then connect to routers, which run embedded Linux or a BSD. Which connect to or are part of modems, which do the same. Which connect to an entire network of servers, a majority of which are running Linux or a BSD, either at the baremetal layer or -- as mentioned before -- in a VM in the cases where it's Windows Azure.

And Windows? Well, they spent the last decade or so catching up to POSIX by adding in their Powershell (which some say is better than POSIX and Bash shells, for whatever reason) and Windows Subsystem for Linux. A couple versions, in fact. In which several Linux distros can be downloaded right from their own store.

Maybe you should buy an alarm clock, so you can wake up.
              BS. Most ppl who use those have no clue what BSD is. So, if the employees use it, okay - but, so what?

Comment

BS. Most ppl who use those have no clue what BSD is. So, if the employees use it, okay - but, so what?
                I don't know how to tell you this, but most people don't stand around talking about what operating system they're using, or digging into what operating system is chugging away on their DVR and TV (both running Linux).

You want to move the goalposts to "people knowing that they're using the OS" instead of "people using the OS", go right ahead, but move them and yourself out of the discussion and stop trolling.

Comment

I don't know how to tell you this, but most people don't stand around talking about what operating system they're using, or digging into what operating system is chugging away on their DVR and TV (both running Linux).

You want to move the goalposts to "people knowing that they're using the OS" instead of "people using the OS", go right ahead, but move them and yourself out of the discussion and stop trolling.
                  LOL! I'm the troll?!?!? You can't be serious.... Here you go, troll....
                  This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

I like BSD, actually - however, those sites have stats that show how much it makes up the OS ecosystem- which was my point. But, yeah, some troll/idiot saying I'm trolling is really rich.

Comment

Working...
                  X