Another Optimization Comes For Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing In Mesa 24.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Optimization Comes For Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing In Mesa 24.1

Phoronix: Another Optimization Comes For Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing In Mesa 24.1

Valve contractor Friedrich Vock who is part of the team working on the open-source Linux graphics drivers has merged another RADV ray-tracing optimization for this open-source AMD Vulkan driver with this improvement in next quarter's Mesa 24.1 release...

This PR can be applied on top of 24.0.0 cleanly.

Comment

Gameplay with AMD keeps getting smoother every month

Really glad I replaced my RTX 3080 Ti with RX 6800 XT

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Gameplay with AMD keeps getting smoother every month

Really glad I replaced my RTX 3080 Ti with RX 6800 XT
        Really? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          Really? Why?
          AMD invests time into improving Linux drivers.

Hardware acceleration works better.
          Compatibility is better with new technology like Wayland.
          ​Updates, bug fixes and performance enhancements are done frequently.
          There's no arbitrary limits for concurrent encoding jobs.

I used to praise NVIDIA but their lack of effort is disgusting. Billion dollar company relying on unpaid developers working around their broken drivers is a nightmare. Endless amount of unresolved bugs around core gpu features made me switch.

Don't waste your time and vote with your wallet
          Last edited by Kjell; 05 February 2024, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Really? Why?
            Because open source software tends to have way more collaboration than closed-source one!
            Same reason why Linux has won so many markets and will win the desktop one too, one day.
            Android is also having great success.

Comment

I used to praise NVIDIA but their lack of effort is disgusting. Billion dollar company relying on unpaid developers working around their broken drivers is a nightmare. Endless amount of unresolved bugs around core gpu features made me switch.

Sorry but is not just AMD, AMD works more in kernel side, but the real contributor is the Valve corporation, the mostly AMD perf changes in Kernel side is from Valve, the same thing with RADV, the most effort is from Valve, Valve have focus in contract developers to work in RADV and ACO.

ACO is just a real thing because of Valve, AMD not have no one interesting in writing a NIR Backend, because AMD LLVM backend is used in all proprietary drivers from AMD.

Valve have make efforts in NIR intermediate representation and in Zink Driver too, the same thing with RadeonSI, bring ACO backend support for it.

Last edited by EliasOfWaffle; 05 February 2024, 08:54 PM.

Comment

The only reason why Nvidia doesn't improve support is because lack of clients that need it. AMD have giving help to Valve and improve things in kernel side, but is because have a demand to it. The same thing occurs now with Imagination, before Beagle Board and SiPeed and Starfive, Imagination not have open source effort, but after all demand, Imagination have now a DRM driver and a initial PowerVR Mesa Vulkan Driver, but without demand it will never occurs.

NVK driver looks a demand, this projects will never be a promise future without Nvidia giving GSP firmware for redistribution and without docs, headers and a reference code for GSP implementation.

I think the same thing is the cause for ARM now is helping with Panfrost, i think more vendors will use, and Google is trying to make chromebooks more linux like than a android, this can be a initial effort for Panfrost be a future driver.​

Comment

Not only is this great work by Valve but it's nice that it works on RDNA2. It's great to see outdated hardware still get supported.

Comment

Really? Why?
                    Using the words of the great Linus himself:

Comment

Working...
                    X