AMD Stages The Radeon Graphics Color Management Code For Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Stages The Radeon Graphics Color Management Code For Linux 6.8

Phoronix: AMD Stages The Radeon Graphics Color Management Code For Linux 6.8

On Friday in addition to Intel submitting their new Xe kernel graphics driver to DRM-Next ahead of Linux 6.8, the red team sent in their latest AMDGPU/AMDKFD kernel driver changes ahead of this next kernel cycle. Exciting on the AMD side is landing the AMD color management properties support! But on the downside, it's compile-time disabled for the time being...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excited to be able to load EDID profiles in wlroots eventually

Comment

Is it just me, or Linux development is going much much faster these days than it was a decade ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
        Excited to be able to load EDID profiles in wlroots eventually
        Well, you couldn't do it in wlroots, but it has been working via kernel parameter for a long time. Only tricky thing is to include it in initramfs with some not so user-friendly distributions, as this for whatever reason is also required without early KMS.

Edit: Or are you referring to chromaticity values provided by EDID?
        Last edited by aufkrawall; 16 December 2023, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post
          Is it just me, or Linux development is going much much faster these days than it was a decade ago?
          It's not you. Things move a hell of a lot faster these days.

I suspect they compile with X3Ds

Comment

Could someone enlighten me about what this actually means practically? I use a display with hardware calibration support (NEC) and an AMD GPU and my ICC profiles seem to load fine on my Linux desktop (KDE on X.org/OpenSUSE). What does this new code enable that you can't do so far? Is this only required for HDR?

Comment

Working...
            X