Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Extends PyTorch + ROCm Support To The Radeon RX 7900 XT

Phoronix: AMD Extends PyTorch + ROCm Support To The Radeon RX 7900 XT

Ahead of AMD's Advancing AI event coming up quickly in early December, AMD today announced ROCm and PyTorch support has been extended to supporting the Radeon RX 7900 XT graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good first step, but late and far from enough. Please keep trying and have a bigger and stronger ROCm development team.

The blog is very cool, but reality is different.

Come on, AMD. You already have good hardware, you just need to be a lot better at software

Also, there's life outside Ubuntu. Tons of geeks despise Ubuntu. Please consider official broader distro support outside RHEL and Ubuntu and Suse

You can do it a lot better, AMD!
    Last edited by timofonic; 21 November 2023, 01:36 PM.

Comment

PyTorch with ROCm should work on any distribution with pip and a recent amdgpu kernel module.
      Code:
      pip3 install --pre torch torchvision torchaudio --index-url https://download.pytorch.org/whl/nightly/rocm5.7

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Good first step, but late and far from enough. Please keep trying and have a bigger and stronger ROCm development team.

Also, there's life outside Ubuntu. Tons of geeks despise Ubuntu. Please consider official broader distro support outside RHEL and Ubuntu and Suse
        Honest question, why should they care for anything other than RHEL, Suse and Ubuntu? If that's what AMD enterprise customers demand, why would they invest on a random Distrowatch distribution?

Also you say: tons of geeks despise Ubuntu

Geeks as, end users, or enterprise customers? I don't recall seeing articles about some company bashing Ubuntu, only end users do, just as Nvidia, Microsoft and others are bashed by the very same end users.

Yes I know, *I purchased AMD hardware, I demand support for ROCm on my random Distrowatch distribution without systemd* classic Linux user comment that more often than not is present.

What's the incentive though? Where's the revenue for AMD on that?

Comment

W00t w00t!!! This is awesome progress from AMD... Finally at approaching the ML/AI HPC big boys table.... for so long its just been the dude with the dark green shades, green hoodie and the dealer.

As a die hard Nvidia/CUDA user I have been really looking for some competition in this space. It may be time to pick up an AMD card to see how it stands up in our use cases.

Comment

Anybody with experience using ROCm with Jax instead of pytorch?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              The pre-built drivers are for enterprise distros which do not refresh from upstream frequently. For faster moving distros the approach is to work with distro packagers to get ROCm into the distro's own packaging repos. I believe Arch and Fedora are already working that way.
              Test signature

Comment

I find it cringe-worthy that AMD has chosen to make an excited blog post about adding 7900 XT support.

Comment

Originally posted by carguello2 View Post

Honest question, why should they care for anything other than RHEL, Suse and Ubuntu? If that's what AMD enterprise customers demand, why would they invest on a random Distrowatch distribution?

Also you say: tons of geeks despise Ubuntu

Geeks as, end users, or enterprise customers? I don't recall seeing articles about some company bashing Ubuntu, only end users do, just as Nvidia, Microsoft and others are bashed by the very same end users.

Yes I know, *I purchased AMD hardware, I demand support for ROCm on my random Distrowatch distribution without systemd* classic Linux user comment that more often than not is present.

What's the incentive though? Where's the revenue for AMD on that?
                  a) Because NixOS ;-)

b) because the point of bringing this to Radeon is not enterprise customers, but people who want to build stuff off-corpo-campus. And those people are not corpo-distro people in many cases.

Comment

This is still disappointing! NVIDIA supports CUDA for all consumer cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X