RADV Ray-Tracing To Become Much Faster With New Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
    So with valve and now potentially google (with their chrome os which will use wayland) we can see even more improvements to graphic stack? I believe google and valve will need to push HDR they will need it. And then linux will just need one proper DE and it will be finally year of linux?
    I tried HDR on windows and was not really impressed. I don't think it should be a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelcluster View Post
      FWIW, it's likely that this MR won't get merged.

The linked vkd3d-proton PR does the same thing. Applying either of them has the same effects, but applying both doesn't yield any additional boost.

D3D12 games benefit from this because the API doesn't have a way to batch acceleration structure builds. Vulkan does, though, and it seems that games using Vulkan ray tracing use that batching properly (which also means that this MR only benefits D3D12 games, not Vulkan native games). Therefore, it seems best to avoid the overhead inside RADV and let vkd3d-proton handle the D3D12 case. In the end, the performance benefit is the same but there are fewer things that could introduce driver overhead.
      This man right there speaks the truth because he is the creator of that said MR

Comment

Working...
      X