RADV Ray-Tracing To Become Much Faster With New Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
    And then linux will just need one proper DE and it will be finally year of linux?
    Don't worry, Cosmic is coming

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post

How are people able to comprehend the code that makes our GPUs do the things they do. It's all seems so magical. How do they even come up with it?
      It's a highly specialized field, the obvious answer is: education and dedication.

Comment

And then linux will just need one proper DE
        We've already got Gnome.

Comment

if you ever decide to do some benchmark please add nvidia in the mix (not opensource)

Comment

AFAIK for the RT performance boost, you need this vkd3d-proton PR:

Significantly improves Raytracing performance on RADV in a number of games, especially Hitman 3. Handling WriteBufferImmediate is a bit janky as always, since we want to maintain correct command or...

Comment

FWIW, it's likely that this MR won't get merged.

The linked vkd3d-proton PR does the same thing. Applying either of them has the same effects, but applying both doesn't yield any additional boost.

D3D12 games benefit from this because the API doesn't have a way to batch acceleration structure builds. Vulkan does, though, and it seems that games using Vulkan ray tracing use that batching properly (which also means that this MR only benefits D3D12 games, not Vulkan native games). Therefore, it seems best to avoid the overhead inside RADV and let vkd3d-proton handle the D3D12 case. In the end, the performance benefit is the same but there are fewer things that could introduce driver overhead.

Comment

How does the RT performance compare with the proprietary/Windows driver?

was it like a 3rd of the speed before and now closer, or was it close before and now exceeds it?

Comment

And then linux will just need one proper DE
                  If I went fishing with bait like this, I'd eat for a lifetime

Comment

Nice! I'm curious whether this will improve Zink performance

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

It's a highly specialized field, the obvious answer is: education and dedication.
                      I was going to say Aliens!

Comment

Working...
                      X