RADV Ray-Tracing To Become Much Faster With New Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    if you ever decide to do some benchmark please add nvidia in the mix (not opensource)
    Dear Leader Jensen is happy with your loyalty.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Dear Leader Jensen is happy with your loyalty.
      What loyalty? All they asked for was benchmarks...

Comment

Originally posted by eszlari View Post
        AFAIK for the RT performance boost, you need this vkd3d-proton PR:

https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...oton/pull/1651
        I'm pretty sure the vkd3d optimization does the same approximate thing as the RADV optimization, so you should only need one. It's more useful than you might think to have "duplicate" optimizations on DXVK/VKD3D and Mesa. Having an optimization in DXVK/VKD3D means it helps for more than just Mesa users (e.g. amdvlk, Nvidia, Windows, etc), and helps users that don't have the latest Mesa version; while having the optimization in Mesa means that it will affect native Vulkan games, not just D3D games.

Comment

The better question is, will it be faster than Windows? Saying it's faster than AMDVLK is not a high bar. AMD is known for their lacking Ray-Tracing performance compared to Nvidia, so it would be interesting if RADV found a way to be even faster. Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            The better question is, will it be faster than Windows? Saying it's faster than AMDVLK is not a high bar. AMD is known for their lacking Ray-Tracing performance compared to Nvidia, so it would be interesting if RADV found a way to be even faster. Probably not.
            I expect that Mesa will eventually beat the Windows driver, but doubt this alone is enough for that.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
              I expect that Mesa will eventually beat the Windows driver, but doubt this alone is enough for that.
              Windows driver is not much faster than amdvlk-open in Doom Eternal RT.

Comment

If you are talking about windows proprietary vulkan driver, the fact is it is sharing the same code base with linux amdvlk, so there should be no difference in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Windows driver is not much faster than amdvlk-open in Doom Eternal RT.
                  If I understand correctly, this change doesn't really help Doom Eternal anyways.

Comment

I suspect not better than Windows, the way it was phrased with the approximation of improvement doesn't sound like it's even close to Windows RayTracing to me. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction and we still have to wait for benchmarks to actually gain some facts.

Comment

One of the comments in testing the MR goes on to note:
                      lol not a single native title right? not sure about Minecraft tho

Well at least it will be interesting to see how it will affect Quake 2 RTX performance

Are there even any native games besides it utilizing RT?

Comment

Working...
                      X